I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

vor 8 Stunden schrieb John Robinson:

Leica make excellent magnifiers for the viewfinder.  I have used the 1.25 and the 1.4 on the M9 (0.68) and also on the M2 (0.72).  The 1.25 is excellent for the 35 and 50 lenses and the 1.4 for the 75 and 90 (haven't tried a 135).  By my calculation, the 1.25 magnifier changes the 0.68 viewfinder to 0.85 and the 1.4 to 0.952.  A very reasonable way to get the larger view and more accurate focus (especially on the longer lenses).  On a 0.72 viewfinder the change is more pronounced, to 0.9 and 1 respectively.

There are some third-party magnifiers around but the Leica are better matched to the viewfinder optics.

Thank you for sharing your experience about the magnifiers for Leica M. i recently got a 135er Elmar and i think i will get me a 1.4 loupe soon.…

vor 1 Stunde schrieb verwackelt:

Thank you for sharing your experience about the magnifiers for Leica M. i recently got a 135er Elmar and i think i will get me a 1.4 loupe soon.…

I´ve been using them for a long time:   There are several caveats though: they tend to unscrew themselves and if the camera is worn on a strap over the shoulder, you might find yourself without the magnifier after a walk... the little chain is not of much help, because the little leather pouch, to be attached on the strap, will not !  safeguard your magnifier reliably as it will unbutton from the strap. Furthermore the front element of the magnifier ( facing your eye , with a rubber rim ) tends to unscrew too.... no chance to find them if lost.  So check if the magnifier is tightened each time you are going to use it.... 

Optic-wise you should notice, and that might be the reason why many gave up on the magnifiers, that the overall refraction of your RF-finder is -0,5 diopters. If you use a magnifier ( which actually is a little telescope) , this  -0,5 refraction is enlarged too. If you are older than say 60, your power of accommodation will be exhausted by this - 0,5 dpt; unless you wear glasses  that compensate for the accommodative demand. Those  of us who wear progressive addition lenses, will find that the transition zone of these progressives won't work, because they necessarily have a huge amount of irregular astigmatism in the transition zone-- cannot be avoided, I'm told by phycicists...   

So unless you belong to the very few whose  refraction magically  does just meet the finder -refraction, or you are under forty, or have a slight ! myopia---you will need a correction glass to be happy with the magnifier. In my experience you can  calculate the power you will need only roughly.  To decide if you need half a diopter more or less, you need to try them. I ordered them at the Leica shop in Wetzlar and sent back what didn't work-- if you have a merchant around who stores them-even better.  

K. 

• Thanks 5

Willows near the brook #2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

HB 205; Planar 3,5/100, Delta 400, Xtol

• Like 16

18 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Do you worry about the cost of your next digital camera or the depreciation on the digital camera(s) you currently have?   What value do you place on your photography hobby?

Of course there is a cost involved with film and processing, but unless it comes down to the choice between buying a roll of film and not eating for 2-3 days, I don't understand your dilemma. 

Don't be timid.....one life!

I agree wholeheartedly with this. A couple months back I lamented the passing of Agfa Vista film. It was a "bargain" film, available for less than $5.00 a roll. I enjoyed the film and it did represent a truly different look....at least to my eyes. I, personally, would have preferred they double the price, rather than discontinue. Economy is important, but the loss of Acros taught me a  lesson, I buy some Across II now, most every time I order film........even though  the price is pretty high. I have not shot digital for about four or five years now. I have no desire to go back to it.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Kl@usW.:

I´ve been using them for a long time:   There are several caveats though: they tend to unscrew themselves and if the camera is worn on a strap over the shoulder, you might find yourself without the magnifier after a walk... the little chain is not of much help, because the little leather pouch, to be attached on the strap, will not !  safeguard your magnifier reliably as it will unbutton from the strap. Furthermore the front element of the magnifier ( facing your eye , with a rubber rim ) tends to unscrew too.... no chance to find them if lost.  So check if the magnifier is tightened each time you are going to use it.... 

Optic-wise you should notice, and that might be the reason why many gave up on the magnifiers, that the overall refraction of your RF-finder is -0,5 diopters. If you use a magnifier ( which actually is a little telescope) , this  -0,5 refraction is enlarged too. If you are older than say 60, your power of accommodation will be exhausted by this - 0,5 dpt; unless you wear glasses  that compensate for the accommodative demand. Those  of us who wear progressive addition lenses, will find that the transition zone of these progressives won't work, because they necessarily have a huge amount of irregular astigmatism in the transition zone-- cannot be avoided, I'm told by phycicists...   

So unless you belong to the very few whose  refraction magically  does just meet the finder -refraction, or you are under forty, or have a slight ! myopia---you will need a correction glass to be happy with the magnifier. In my experience you can  calculate the power you will need only roughly.  To decide if you need half a diopter more or less, you need to try them. I ordered them at the Leica shop in Wetzlar and sent back what didn't work-- if you have a merchant around who stores them-even better.  

K. 

Thank you Klaus for your annotation about the loupe. So i am mid 50ies and need reading glasses i will better drive to Hamburg to Meister and will try them on my M3.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, oldwino said:

......If I look at a used Leica M10 at the current going rate, that is roughly 9 years of shooting film. Will the M10 still be functional in 9 years? I bet my M2 will be.

The film cameras I originally bought new and still use regularly (Nikon, Fuji, Hasselblad, Leica MP and Yashica T5) are all worth more on the used market than I bought them for. 
Every single digital camera I have ever bought new (I have bought 20+ new digital cameras since 1999 for my work) has depreciated and in every case I’ve sold them on for far less than I paid for them. This is an irreversible fact of digital photography, 

None of this is relevant, though.  I prefer using film and that is the crux of it.

Covid -19 has severely impacted my business (along with every other professional wedding, portrait and event photographer I know).  One positive outcome is that I have had the time to rethink my workflow for when things pick up again.  Step one in 2020 was to sell all of my digital cameras except 2.  Step two was to buy what is probably the very last unused Hasselblad 503cw body in existence ( I personally know the history of this camera body) as a partner to my existing 503cw, which I have owned from new (I need two Hasselblad bodies for my wedding and portrait photography).  I have also added three more Zeiss lenses to my Hasselblad inventory and there more  A12 backs.  

I have created a separate price structure for traditional wedding photography with film and medium format cameras on my wedding photography website.  

Since I added this as an option from November 2020, I have taken 4 confirmed wedding bookings for 2022 from couples who want me to photograph their weddings with film rather than with digital cameras.

Sometimes, it isn’t just photographers who prefer the aesthetics of film.

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 12

As a retoucher i am experiencing a little renaissance of film in an interesting way. Some young art directors who are digital native and have never produced with film, told me in the last few years to simulate an "analog look" sometimes. For the young clients, an analog look often consisted of defects such as scratches, light leaks or extreme color casts. They associate analog photography with inferior quality and that in turn with a certain romanticizing impression.
At one job, I suggested taking photos on film parallel to the digital shooting. They were almost disappointed how good and perfect the film photos were.
Again they were so surprised by the quality and only slight less loss in sharpness that after several years of digital photography i have to spot scans every now and then because they liked it anyway ;)
Unfortunately Covid has already stopped many projects this year and I'm afraid there will be a wave of bankruptcies this year.
Lets hope we will get some jobs this year anyway…

• Like 7

3 hours ago, philipus said:

A few years ago when I travelled a lot for work I started a project with the working title "Where I have slept". The idea was to shoot the bed in the hotel room the next day before the diligent hotel staff had got their hands on it. This is one of those photos. Honestly I'm not sure if I'll do anything with this, but it is an interesting challenge, at least to a small mind like mine, to try to capture an unmade bed.

Flickr
203FE 40/4 CFE Ektar X1

I have a photo of every hotel room I’ve stayed in for the last 5 years. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, philipus said:

A few years ago when I travelled a lot for work I started a project with the working title "Where I have slept". The idea was to shoot the bed in the hotel room the next day before the diligent hotel staff had got their hands on it. This is one of those photos. Honestly I'm not sure if I'll do anything with this, but it is an interesting challenge, at least to a small mind like mine, to try to capture an unmade bed.

Flickr
203FE 40/4 CFE Ektar X1

From "small" minds come expansive ideas! What an engaging project that begs any number of narratives. This can be terrifying, calming, mysterious, paranoid, mesmerizing, hypnotic, and we are not even to the verbs, yet. The rumpled sheet is, of course, anatomical with history. Evidence. And the pastel blue is criminal under the accusing eye of the cyclops lamp. It has witnessed allegories that resist exhibition.

What an expansive narrative overlay that whispers its ambition for a theme song or at least a Walter Murch sound mix. This photograph is a magnet for imagination, not always quiet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Recess Rhythm
M-A Summicron-M 50 BC E100

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Wayne said:

On the subject of C41, I have been experimenting with cold processing in C41.....with color negatives from my Minox subminiature cameras. I have been stand developing in developer for one hour, followed by 40 minutes of BLIX with inversions every 10 minutes.

Minox IIIs, Kodak Ektar, C41 (processed cold)

I didn't know you could do this, Wayne - process C41 "cold" ie stand develop at (presumably) cold or room temperature. The colors look beautiful from this example.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, stray cat said:

I didn't know you could do this, Wayne - process C41 "cold" ie stand develop at (presumably) cold or room temperature. The colors look beautiful from this example.

That is amazing....a very cool thing.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, philipus said:

Flickr
203FE 40/4 CFE Ektar X1

Great project, Philip!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, P1505 said:

After a few of you telling me suck it up I ordered a box of film to go with the camera I don’t yet own... and it’s 5x4.

Show me the deep end!

Should have been 10x8! Wimp...

Why not, it will teach you an awful lot, although I probably would start with medium format, which is what I did when I returned to film.

• Like 1