I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, benqui said:

M-A, Apo 50, Ilford Delta 400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Love the "softness" of this photograph, the muted tones and for me the waif like expression of the model.

11 hours ago, philipus said:

A few years ago when I travelled a lot for work I started a project with the working title "Where I have slept". The idea was to shoot the bed in the hotel room the next day before the diligent hotel staff had got their hands on it. This is one of those photos. Honestly I'm not sure if I'll do anything with this, but it is an interesting challenge, at least to a small mind like mine, to try to capture an unmade bed.

Flickr
203FE 40/4 CFE Ektar X1

Project or not this is a fabulous photograph!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, philipus said:

A few years ago when I travelled a lot for work I started a project with the working title "Where I have slept". The idea was to shoot the bed in the hotel room the next day before the diligent hotel staff had got their hands on it. This is one of those photos. Honestly I'm not sure if I'll do anything with this, but it is an interesting challenge, at least to a small mind like mine, to try to capture an unmade bed.

Flickr
203FE 40/4 CFE Ektar X1

I like the coolness of the blue and I think it's an idea worth pursuing. Tracey Emin's unmade bed sold for well over two million pounds! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Bed

• Like 1

IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Fomapan 100 @ 64, PMK 1:2:100 10' 24°C.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

vor 28 Minuten schrieb Bateleur:

Love the "softness" of this photograph, the muted tones and for me the waif like expression of the model.

Thanks a lot Charles! For a light situation as it was, with this special mood, film is really perfect

• Like 1

Thank you very much Rog, Steve, Charles, Xicara, Hank and verwackelt :) I will see what I can make of it. I guess it could make a good bedside table book (groan :D )

5 hours ago, Ernest said:

From "small" minds come expansive ideas! What an engaging project that begs any number of narratives. This can be terrifying, calming, mysterious, paranoid, mesmerizing, hypnotic, and we are not even to the verbs, yet. The rumpled sheet is, of course, anatomical with history. Evidence. And the pastel blue is criminal under the accusing eye of the cyclops lamp. It has witnessed allegories that resist exhibition.

What an expansive narrative overlay that whispers its ambition for a theme song or at least a Walter Murch sound mix. This photograph is a magnet for imagination, not always quiet.

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Great project, Philip!

21 minutes ago, Bateleur said:

4 minutes ago, Xícara de Café said:

I like the coolness of the blue and I think it's an idea worth pursuing. Tracey Emin's unmade bed sold for well over two million pounds! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Bed

7 hours ago, oldwino said:

I have a photo of every hotel room I’ve stayed in for the last 5 years. 

11 hours ago, verwackelt said:

Looks great. Very good idea. Could be a thread for its own…

I see Mr Leiter lurking around there in the lower left quadrant, imploring me to push my feeble mind to think about what it is that I'm seeing. Is it a part of a cassette tape or of a building? Or is it a frame from The Conversation? Surely just off camera left Gene Hackman is doing some of his finest acting. Or wait, I know now, it's a integrated circuit from one of them green motherboards that these days tend to be red or blue. But why mother and not father? Is it because at the dawn of tech men, or really male geeks, designed and built computers and thought that the computer machine was female, a substitute for dates not gone on? My mind's speeding away and I've only had one coffee. Talk about feeble. Xicara would be embarrassed to know me. I feel like a peeping Tom peering through a crack in a fluorescent green-black billboard from Nvidia at a spectacle that my mind is yet to comprehend. Just like I felt through the entirety of Tenet.

The liberating feeling of not knowing what's going on can't be overestimated.

4 hours ago, Ernest said:

Recess Rhythm
M-A Summicron-M 50 BC E100

Bravo!!! Pst. There is no end to the deep :D 

47 minutes ago, P1505 said:

After a few of you telling me suck it up I ordered a box of film to go with the camera I don’t yet own... and it’s 5x4.

Show me the deep end!

Wonderful Xicara, that water looks like it's going to run off the screen. Fantastic.

1 minute ago, Xícara de Café said:

IIIf, Summicron 5cm 1:2 collapsible, Fomapan 100 @ 64, PMK 1:2:100 10' 24°C.

Let me add another Phil to the line of impressed viewers. Wow, I also had no idea. And a great photo too. I think I see George Smiley somewhere in the far distance.

21 hours ago, Wayne said:

On the subject of C41, I have been experimenting with cold processing in C41.....with color negatives from my Minox subminiature cameras. I have been stand developing in developer for one hour, followed by 40 minutes of BLIX with inversions every 10 minutes.

Minox IIIs, Kodak Ektar, C41 (processed cold)

Lovely, Klaus. Isn't it amazing how nature can be so unorganised and yet achieve so much?

21 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Willows near the brook #2

HB 205; Planar 3,5/100, Delta 400, Xtol

Delightful Marc, really lovely. I like very much that you've let the photo remain low-contrast. A lesser photographer would have pulled on the contrast or worse yet the clarity lever and totally killed the mood.

17 hours ago, benqui said:

M-A, Apo 50, Ilford Delta 400

Thank you for sharing this Steve and for linking to your website. I didn't know that you're also shooting weddings. I like the three-tier price structure you have created and think that it can really work :D 

15 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

The film cameras I originally bought new and still use regularly (Nikon, Fuji, Hasselblad, Leica MP and Yashica T5) are all worth more on the used market than I bought them for. 
Every single digital camera I have ever bought new (I have bought 20+ new digital cameras since 1999 for my work) has depreciated and in every case I’ve sold them on for far less than I paid for them. This is an irreversible fact of digital photography, 

None of this is relevant, though.  I prefer using film and that is the crux of it.

Covid -19 has severely impacted my business (along with every other professional wedding, portrait and event photographer I know).  One positive outcome is that I have had the time to rethink my workflow for when things pick up again.  Step one in 2020 was to sell all of my digital cameras except 2.  Step two was to buy what is probably the very last unused Hasselblad 503cw body in existence ( I personally know the history of this camera body) as a partner to my existing 503cw, which I have owned from new (I need two Hasselblad bodies for my wedding and portrait photography).  I have also added three more Zeiss lenses to my Hasselblad inventory and there more  A12 backs.  

I have created a separate price structure for traditional wedding photography with film and medium format cameras on my wedding photography website.  

Since I added this as an option from November 2020, I have taken 4 confirmed wedding bookings for 2022 from couples who want me to photograph their weddings with film rather than with digital cameras.

Sometimes, it isn’t just photographers who prefer the aesthetics of film.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, stray cat said:

I didn't know you could do this, Wayne - process C41 "cold" ie stand develop at (presumably) cold or room temperature. The colors look beautiful from this example.

1 hour ago, philipus said:

Let me add another Phil to the line of impressed viewers. Wow, I also had no idea. And a great photo too. I think I see George Smiley somewhere in the far distance.

Thanks. Here is another, but with Portra 160. It merits mention that this was done with old C41 chemistry. I thought I would try this out before disposing of it and mixing up a new batch. Yes, it was at room temperature.........around 71 degrees.

Minox B, Portra 160, C41 cold processing

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, philipus said:

Flickr
203FE 40/4 CFE Ektar X1

I can not thank you enough for making this available to me. I, too, before Covid, traveled extensively. I cannot count the number of times I tried to do the same......there is just something about a motel room that gives it a strange spirit. At any rate, I always fail in this endeavor. True Art.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bo-Sixten said:

Dusty old negs revisited. 1979. Maria, my wife (still), with our first cat. Leica M4, FP4.

Beautiful photograph of your beautiful wife. For some reason, she reminds me of my wife- second generation Hollander. I could be more sure of the similarity if you could post of photo of her demeanor and appearance, as it is, just after you have done or said something stupid and earned immediate exile from her favor. :)

Best,

Wayne

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Beautiful photograph of your beautiful wife. For some reason, she reminds me of my wife- second generation Hollander. I could be more sure of the similarity if you could post of photo of her demeanor and appearance, as it is, just after you have done or said something stupid and earned immediate exile from her favor. :)

Best,

Wayne

That would be after each new camera or lens I buy. Which is a lot. I’m impressed she put up with it all these years.  :))

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Peaceful at the Lake.

Leica II / Summar 50/2 coated / Delta 100 / Xtol

Straight into the Sun - with a Summar!

• Like 16

Scalene
M-A APO 50 ADOX Color Implosion

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

M3 | Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f1.5 | Rollei Retro 400S | Rodinal 1:100

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Willows near the brook #3

HB 205; Planar 3,5/100, Delta 400, Xtol

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Having my end-of-week Leinenkugel Toasted Bock............and being adored for it. :)

Minox B, Agfa Copex microfilm

• Like 11
  • Haha 5