I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some reflections M4-P 35 FLE HP4 in HC110-B

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

vor 20 Stunden schrieb Wayne:

Leica Ic, 28/6.3 Hektor, Fuji Superia 800

ha ha perfect! Would be a great for a movie poster!

vor 12 Stunden schrieb philipus:

Beautifully done Marc

Wow this is such an ominously alluring photo. It looks unreal somehow.

Thanks a lot Philip!

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Kl@usW.:

I love the poetry of this photo, Marc.

btw: Double expo or reflection ? 

Thank you Klaus. It looks like a reflection but it is only the blurred stair railing 

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Kl@usW.:

October snow again.. the Summaron is not exactly flare resistant--but let me consider it a feature...😏

MP, Summaron 2,8/35; Delta 400, D 76 

Looks like a mountain climber movie from the 60ties!

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In October 2018 an unprecedented storm devastated part of the forests of the eastern Alps. Communities are still struggling to clear the rolled lumber--resulting in huge heaps of timber. Although a sad view, these stacked logs --for me-- have a sculptural quality and I always feel tempted to take a photo... In the low contrast lighting the Summaron shines with impressive sharpness-click on the picture to see more. 

MP; Summaron 2,8/35; Delta 400; D 76

• Like 15

12 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

[....]

thank you bags for noticing--it´s of course NLP..... I copy the neg with my ( otherwise undershot )Canon D5 IV; than try to invert the greys... finally I´ll have to remember the "Lab Rules" that were stuck onto the wall long time ago: If anything fails, go to the manual... 🤔

[....]

Here's a tip:  copy the negs with a camera (I use an SL on a Leica BEOON with Micro-Nikkor 3.5/55) to raw files then use Vuescan for the conversion to positive.  It can read in a folder full of files (preferably with sequential file names) and convert them from neg to positive in the same way as when it is used to scan the originals.  Output to raw and then you have an excellent set of files to work with in LR or C1 or whichever is your favourite software.

I came to this solution after messing around with reverse-sliders in both LR and C1 with poor results.  The output from Vuescan is excellent.

• Thanks 2

Am 21.10.2020 um 09:29 schrieb Bo-Sixten:

Dusty old negs revisited. Stockholm 1979. M4, Tri X.

Very nice, could be a friend of mine. He liked to listen to GBH too…

15 hours ago, philipus said:

You're really putting that old dog to good use Wayne. This is lovely.

14 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

wonderful series, Wayne. As you so accurately remarked,   life is composed out of a lot of mundane moments. Your pictures with the ultimate point and shoot camera show this really remarkably. 

btw: I´m always impressed by the size of your donuts... 

11 hours ago, stray cat said:

As has been remarked above, Wayne, these little vignettes of everyday life are adding up to a rich and precious account of rural life in the American heartland. And this one is surely a still straight out of "The Straight Story".

3 hours ago, benqui said:

ha ha perfect! Would be a great for a movie poster!

Thank you for the comments. They made me think about movies. I do, when thinking back about movies I have seen, focus on particular scenes or parts that have, for some reason, embedded themselves in my consciousness; rarely do I think of the whole, overall plot or story. I guess life is like that, too. 

It was pretty miserable weather: cool, heavy/soaking mist, gray. Such walks are more bearable  when you have your dog to share misery. But it does seem a different world under such conditions. The Ic/Hektor 28 combination (Ultimate point and shoot) work so well under almost any conditions....Even at 6.3 the DOF is two meters to infinite. The Hektor definitely lags behind the Summaron LTM 28 in technical photo quality, but seems to handle flare so much better. Almost as if it is coated. I think I am going to try Portra 800 next.

The "old dog" comment made me laugh. I am turning into an old dog, myself. If you think about it, as time passes and eyesight and manual dexterity deteriorate, the Ic and Hektor will still be a practical way to record life with a camera and film. A camera and lens for life.

Thanks again. This is a truly great thread.I hope it goes on as long a I, and the "ultimate point and shoot" do.

Best,

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

part of the "Rosengarten" range in the Dolomiti. 

MP, Summarit 2,4/50; Yellow filter; Delta 400; D 76

This is a fantastic image. I continue to be amazed by the perfection of composition in these mountain shots. The texture of the mountains makes it like being there.

Best,

Wayne

• Thanks 1

Shadows M4-P 35 FLE HP4 in HC110-B

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Marginalia
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura

Marginal, but so important. I feel inclined to see this as a metaphor of our actual circumstances...  grey in different shades if you stare right ahead, but bright and colorful if you care to look a tiny bit off center...  

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Bo-Sixten:

Dusty old negs revisited. Leica M4, Tri X.

I want a cat too !! right now !! 

vor 8 Stunden schrieb John Robinson:

Here's a tip:  copy the negs with a camera (I use an SL on a Leica BEOON with Micro-Nikkor 3.5/55) to raw files then use Vuescan for the conversion to positive.  It can read in a folder full of files (preferably with sequential file names) and convert them from neg to positive in the same way as when it is used to scan the originals.  Output to raw and then you have an excellent set of files to work with in LR or C1 or whichever is your favourite software.

I came to this solution after messing around with reverse-sliders in both LR and C1 with poor results.  The output from Vuescan is excellent.

Thank you John for this hint, that sounds really practical.  Any help is welcome. Since most people using NLP are satisfied it may be more my personal digital incompetence than the program. So I´ll give it another try--- and keep  your approach in my backhand. There seem to be so many ways. What i find astonishing is the fact that the industry doesn't respond to the apparent demand for a fast, high quality and intuitive machine for the analog to digital path... 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Wayne:

This is a fantastic image. I continue to be amazed by the perfection of composition in these mountain shots. The texture of the mountains makes it like being there.

Best,

Wayne

Wayne, thank you. The Dolomiti usually are a pleasure  to photograph--steep and with a rough surface ( limestone), so you get a structure which is helpful in b/w... and of course a yellow filter helps with the sky. 

Shimmer
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura

• Like 9

Sit-in demonstrators.

• Like 12

Thank you Klaus. Yes that is a very useful skill and luckily a lot of the colder parts of Scandinavia are covered by birch, something which one might not expect. I remember that during our winter training in the military it was handy to have those trees around.

23 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

very elegant, Philip. Who could resist the bark of a birch in wintertime... such a beautiful tree and  useful. Our guide while snow shoeing in Lapland introduced us into fire making with the help of the skin of the  outer layer of the tree... 

This is wonderful. I have a very good friend who is from a little place not far from the Rosengarten, in Südtirol. Almost twenty years ago there was a Heineken ad showing a cow herder during the summertime having a generally boring time on the slopes with his cows. Then when the snow came he brightened up significantly because then, obviously, he turned in to a ski instructor. The next scene has him, clad in a ski suit onesie, barging in through the door of the local Kneipe shouting, in Dutch, "Biertje!!!!". When we saw this commercial in the cinema together once my friend immediately recognised the mountains in the background and we henceforth refer to Südtirol as "Biertje".

23 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

View from the "Rosengarten" looking  east. In the far distance to the right you can see the "Marmolada" , the highest mountain of the Dolomoti Range, 3343 m. It´s in Italy and you can see the Marmolada from Venice --100 km-- on a clear day..

MP; S`rit 2,,4/90; Yellow filter, Delta 400, D 76

Wow this is brilliant Rog. From a purely graphical perspective the mix of the monochrome and the bright colour is almost like a shock to the system. It's as if the eyes expect, seek to draw even, colour from the gray fields but fail and then simply give up. Really effectively done. 

22 hours ago, Ernest said:

Interchange 
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura

Thank you so much Phil. I'm happy you like these little mistakes. It is time that I updated that page because having scanned the summer's harvest of rolls I have realised that I have, erm, lots more...It's a tricky thing, though, mistakes. Make 'em too pretty and they go from cr*p (or perhaps *art) to art :)  

20 hours ago, stray cat said:

Oh! OK I missed this the first time round, and thank you Christoph for reminding us to follow this link (and for your wonderful "bad" picture which really is... er... a pile of crap except it's not). Oh that my bad (or good!) pictures were as good as any of these! Because even though they may miss the cut as in the final edit (and many, many of them, like Christoph's, shouldn't IMO) they are, at least to my eyes, universally interesting. Call it the "snapshot aesthetic" - hell, call it any art-wank term you want - but these little moments that happened in front of Philip's eyes caused him to raise the camera and take a shot - and so many of them have layers of context that turn them into fascinating little subliminal sideways glances into life. Much like the territory I believe Lee Friedlander and perhaps Garry Winogrand were exploring back in the 60s and 70s. OK, sometimes they are not quite in focus or a head is cut off or there is a lot going on. So what? I see in them, generally, humour and an affection for human foibles - they are little vignettes that build a picture of Philip and where his interest and sensibilities reside. A wonderful page. A brave photographer might make a book of "bad pictures".

It is also probably a pretty happy cow. Brilliant shot Bo-Sixten.

14 hours ago, Bo-Sixten said:

Dusty old negs revisited. M4, Tri X. Over the years I actually used two Leicas an M4 and an M2, but since I can't tell them apart I write M4. I used 4 lenses: 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, 35mm Summicron (v.3), 50mm Summicron rigid DR and 90mm Summicron (v.1). This is probably the 90mm. :))

Wow, this is stunning. Well done.

11 hours ago, kaspart said:

Rivendell

MP, 2/35 V4, TriX, HC110

I think it was one of our Swedish forum members Lars Bergqvist who liked to refer to certain lenses in the Leica line-up as "dogs". I remember he particularly disliked the early 35mm Summiluxes. Hektor was of course the name of Max Berek's dog, so the name does come with a certain pedigree :) I really like this lens though except that there is a very high likelihood (at least when I use it) that parts of my fingers end up in frame...Stopped down though it performs pretty impressively, I think. This is a shot from Heron Island with due to its wonky horizon easily would pass the narrow eye to enter my eternal collection of rubbish.

Flickr
Portra 160

It vignettes quite a bit too which can be effectual, like here in Bonn. Another thing that it does - and it is my highly unscientific observation - is to give the grain a very special look. Perhaps I'm just seeing things.

Flickr
Velvia 100

9 hours ago, Wayne said:

The "old dog" comment made me laugh. I am turning into an old dog, myself. If you think about it, as time passes and eyesight and manual dexterity deteriorate, the Ic and Hektor will still be a practical way to record life with a camera and film. A camera and lens for life.

Wow this is a really striking image Ken. Very well executed.

2 hours ago, bags27 said:

Shadows M4-P 35 FLE HP4 in HC110-B

Edited by philipus
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

At the sea

M3, 35 mm CronASPH1, RolleiPan 25, D-96

• Like 18

Three letters and a girl.

• Like 19