I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Flickr
80 Planar+2XE Ektar X1
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kl@usW. said:

Rog, very nice. Took me some time to find out what makes this so different... of course the the zig-zag pattern, but what really stops me in my tracks is  how you played with the direction  of the light.. . Rembrandt and Chiaroscuro applied to color field... 

Thanks, Dr. Klaus. This is a straight shot in afternoon sunlight, just slightly cropped at the bottom. The grain of the Fuji is enhanced with the Thambar-M somewhat, but I didn't use the central spot filter, otherwise I would have needed an ND filter for a wider aperture. Here's another run at it, though it's tipping the scale on the "too busy" side, perhaps. Still, it has a circus feeling to it and dabbles with Philip's awesome fun fair colors.

Oz No. 4
M-A APO 50 & Thambar-M Fuji Natura 1600

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, philipus said:

Flickr
80 Planar+2XE Ektar X1

I hear nothing but applause for the Philip blurs, out of focus on this one, but have you tried your OOF with your motion blurs from the fair series? Dr. Klaus will explain why this OOF starts to go in focus when I squint. 

• Haha 2

Contax IIIA, CZ 3.5/50 Tessar (Contaprox,) Fuji Pro 400H

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Well, it looks like my M6 might have some light leaks and some curtains transportation problems. I'm in talk with a store in Milan for a CLA, which I kind of wanted to do anyway. We'll see what they say or propose. 

In the meanwhile, here's a couple of pro fishermen from Otranto. I developed my first 2 rolls of Adox Silvermax 100 with their dedicated developer. Honestly, I'm not super excited, but it's probably because of the problems I found.

Leica M6, Summicron 35 asph, Silvermax 100

• Like 13

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This really rings my bell, Rog and not only for the fun fair colours. I very much like the business and how it seems to play with the perspective in a three-dimensional way and also a bit like one of the Oscar Reutersvärd impossible figures I loved to try to imitate when I was a kid. 

15 hours ago, Ernest said:

Thanks, Dr. Klaus. This is a straight shot in afternoon sunlight, just slightly cropped at the bottom. The grain of the Fuji is enhanced with the Thambar-M somewhat, but I didn't use the central spot filter, otherwise I would have needed an ND filter for a wider aperture. Here's another run at it, though it's tipping the scale on the "too busy" side, perhaps. Still, it has a circus feeling to it and dabbles with Philip's awesome fun fair colors.

Oz No. 4

This is delightful Wayne, it spells tenderness in a very nice and soft way. And while that sounds great to say or write I have no idea what it actually means beyond that it describes the feeling I get when I see it. Lovely.

2 hours ago, Wayne said:

Contax IIIA, CZ 3.5/50 Tessar (Contaprox,) Fuji Pro 400H

I'm sorry to hear of your M6 troubles Antonio. I hope it'll work out. But this certainly looks great to my eyes. Looks extremely sharp. And it that developer seems to give people a nice tan, too.

1 hour ago, AntonioF said:

Well, it looks like my M6 might have some light leaks and some curtains transportation problems. I'm in talk with a store in Milan for a CLA, which I kind of wanted to do anyway. We'll see what they say or propose. 

In the meanwhile, here's a couple of pro fishermen from Otranto. I developed my first 2 rolls of Adox Silvermax 100 with their dedicated developer. Honestly, I'm not super excited, but it's probably because of the problems I found.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought no one would ever ask! Here's a first one to check your eyesight, adding OOF to the mix. I secretly hope that the bright lines at top left are not clients disappearing in some tangential direction...

Flickr
40/4 CFE+PC Mutar Ektar X1

But for true psychedelic, multi-dimensional optometric fun, we can add not only OOF, but also camera shake and bad framing in addition to grain from a severely expired and poorly stored Fuji Superia 1600 :D 

If anyone is seeing a sharp image at this point I hope they'll pass around the jar with the happy pills.

Flickr
TTL 50/1.4A CS9000

12 hours ago, Ernest said:

I hear nothing but applause for the Philip blurs, out of focus on this one, but have you tried your OOF with your motion blurs from the fair series? Dr. Klaus will explain why this OOF starts to go in focus when I squint. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

vor 18 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Oz No. 4

It´s  completely different of course, but an interesting landscape to wander in .... Or you consider the "busy side" as a kind of frame. 

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Difficult. 🤔: if squinting doesn´t mean "crossing your eyes" but rather "nearly closing your eyes" ( two different words in german; "schielen" and "blinzeln"):    For me the birch  doesn't really get sharp by squinting but the surrounding of the picture gets as blurred as the picture itself , so the discrepancy vanishes and makes the beautiful birch seemingly clearer.... 

vor 10 Stunden schrieb benqui:

Thanks a lot Klaus! Yes you are right.I found a M-A to a very good price and sold my M4 for the M-A.

👍 ! viel Spaß damit !  

vor 5 Stunden schrieb AntonioF:

Antonio, I hope your light leak and shutter problems turn out as some harmless CLA-job.. Otherwise I hope the Milan store is less merciless than Wetzlar.  We have a saying in german ( for which there probably is an italian equivalent)  which might translate as " before the courts and on high seas we are completely in gods hands... "  I´d like to  add the Leica workshops to these places of uncertainty ... good luck. 

btw: nice photo, sharp and with a very even exposition... 

Edited by Kl@usW.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

It´s  completely different of course, but an interesting landscape to wander in .... Or you consider the "busy side" as a kind of frame. 

Difficult. 🤔: if squinting doesn´t mean "crossing your eyes" but rather "nearly closing your eyes" ( two different words in german; "schielen" and "blinzeln"):    For me the birch  doesn't really get sharp by squinting but the surrounding of the picture gets as blurred as the picture itself , so the discrepancy vanishes and makes the beautiful birch seemingly clearer.... 

I have been occupied with the "frame" or perimeter and begin to appreciate the margins of composition and how color here as seemingly inconsequential tabs play on the center of the composition, particularly when the center seems almost colorless and image-less, like CF Perimeter AP17 I posted. What I'm finding is that looking at the featureless center, the eye picks up the color tabs on the margins with peripheral vision. Thanks to Diebenkorn, this draws my attention to the edges of composition, not simply as a frame as you point out or even parentheses of sort, but a comment on the nature of a photograph itself. Generally, I learned to "frame up" a composition, whether in painting or photography, aware of asymmetry or symmetry, S-composition, L-composition, perspective elements (aerial and atmospheric, too), and so forth. In CF Perimeter AP17, there's the quiet space, as framed by the busy space of the margins (two here and two that are just bleeds that suggest indeterminacy). Oz is another issue, since the center with its diagonals is almost like assembled fragments that plays like a chorus with the busy margins. One side is without margin, and that's the entry into the cul-de-sac.

On squinting, yes, I mean actually closing the eyelids down, which is a way is checking tonal values looking at painting by limited perception of detail. I can do this somewhat simply by taking off my glasses. I like your take on the Birch Blur. I seem to be in favor or more blur, even more blur. I know Gerhard Richter and others like this theme song.

3 hours ago, philipus said:

I thought no one would ever ask! Here's a first one to check your eyesight, adding OOF to the mix. I secretly hope that the bright lines at top left are not clients disappearing in some tangential direction...

Flickr

But for true psychedelic, multi-dimensional optometric fun, we can add not only OOF, but also camera shake and bad framing in addition to grain from a severely expired and poorly stored Fuji Superia 1600 :D 

If anyone is seeing a sharp image at this point I hope they'll pass around the jar with the happy pills.

Flickr
TTL 50/1.4A CS9000

Astounding! 

In Key Largo, Humphrey Bogart's character asks Edward G. Robinson as Rocco what he wants. "Tell us what you want, Rocco." When Robinson is stymied with a response, Bogart answers for him: "Rocco wants more." Robinson realizes, then, "Yeah, that's right. More. I want more." Well, perhaps I've paraphrased it a bit, but when I seed these "blurs," I want more, even more. See Bill Jacobson and David Armstrong, too.

4 hours ago, philipus said:

This really rings my bell, Rog and not only for the fun fair colours. I very much like the business and how it seems to play with the perspective in a three-dimensional way and also a bit like one of the Oscar Reutersvärd impossible figures I loved to try to imitate when I was a kid.

It's the benefit of LUF, always learning something new. I know of MC Escher but not Reutersvard. Cool! 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, philipus said:

See Gerhard Richter here:

https://www.gerhard-richter.com/en/art/editions/nine-objects-12707/?p=3

Also, see his "Schattenbild I and II" (1968)

https://www.gerhard-richter.com/en/search/?search=Schattenbild+I

• Thanks 2

Down by the river. HP5+ in Caffenol C-H

OM1 with 35-70

• Like 14

Park
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura

• Like 5

10 hours ago, philipus said:

This is delightful Wayne, it spells tenderness in a very nice and soft way. And while that sounds great to say or write I have no idea what it actually means beyond that it describes the feeling I get when I see it. Lovely.

Thanks for the comment. the Contaprox is sort of an obscure configuration of the Tessar 3.5. The lens and focusing helical act as a kind of miniature view camera that is attached to a tripod. It includes a glass and magnifier for focusing, which is removed so that a Contax RF can be mounted as a film carrier. It was fun, but I was also dealing with a very light breeze.

What I found interesting is what I learned about the Fuji Pro 400H. In this particular instance, I shot it at ISO 100. I do like the film, but experience says that the only time you can shoot at box speed is when available light is extremely bright. I think I could have gone down to 50 ISO with no problems.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, philipus said:

Flickr

Flickr
TTL 50/1.4A CS9000

These are so groovy, Philip! I, too, worry for those top-tier passengers who look like they might have taken an unscheduled ejector seat ride into the stratosphere!

In the spirit of your psychedelia I revisited a picture I'd done a while back. Playing with sliders and contrast and all those other cool things in photoshop can sometimes lead you down some pretty mind-expanding paths. Who said we film shooters can't have some digital fun?

Itchykoo Park 2012

Canon F1N, 100mm, Velvia

... and here is the original, underexposed and not really a useful picture before the fun began:

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, stray cat said:

These are so groovy, Philip! I, too, worry for those top-tier passengers who look like they might have taken an unscheduled ejector seat ride into the stratosphere!

In the spirit of your psychedelia I revisited a picture I'd done a while back. Playing with sliders and contrast and all those other cool things in photoshop can sometimes lead you down some pretty mind-expanding paths. Who said we film shooters can't have some digital fun?

Itchykoo Park 2012

Canon F1N, 100mm, Velvia

... and here is the original, underexposed and not really a useful picture before the fun began:

looks like a Donovan album cover. 

• Haha 5