I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

HP5+ Pushed to 800 and then home developed.  28mm ASPH. Thought I compensated for the shadows but apparently not enough.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by RayD28
  • Like 11

Bounder. I laugh every time I see one on the road.

Marketing research failure?

Bounder: A man of objectionable social behavior

Synonyms: bastard, beast, bleeder, blighter, boor, bugger, buzzard, cad, chuff, churl, clown, creep, cretin, crud, crumb, cur, dirtbag, dog, fink, heel, hound, jerk, joker, louse, lout, pill, rat, rat fink, reptile, rotter, rot, schmuck, scum, scum bag, skuzzball, skunk, sleaze, sleazebag, sleazeball, slime, slimeball, slob, snake, so-and-so, sod, stinkard, slime, toad, varmint, vermin.

Minox BL/III, Agfa Copex microfilm

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

Local diner. Breakfast with "The King."

Minox BL/III Frankencamera :), Agfa Copex Rapid microfilm

• Like 16

2 hours ago, RayD28 said:

HP5+ Pushed to 800 and then home developed.  28mm ASPH. Thought I compensated for the shadows but apparently not enough.  

To me the photograph looks well-balanced enough. Now, how much compensation is enough compensation is extremely subjective. It is not clear to me if the compensation you mention was done at the time when you made the exposure or when developing. It's pretty dark under those shades... to expose correctly for that part would sure compromise the lighter parts.

Edited by Suede
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suspect that your shadow problem is, in fact, underexposure. HP5 is rated at 400 ASA. You have underexposed by 1 stop. No amount of fumbling with developers will fix your underexposed shadows. Remember the old advice - expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights. It is still true. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

26 minutes ago, Suede said:

To me the photograph looks well-balanced enough. Now, how much compensation is enough compensation is extremely subjective. It is not clear to me if the compensation you mention was done at the time when you made the exposure or when developing. It's pretty dark under those shades... to expose correctly for that part would sure compromise the lighter parts.

Thanks.  I tried to compensate for the shadows at exposure.  I used an MP and opened up a full stop or so from the meter's reading. I pulled the shadows slightly in LR.  Anymore pulling made it too grainy for my taste for this shot.  

2 minutes ago, Michael Hiles said:

I suspect that your shadow problem is, in fact, underexposure. HP5 is rated at 400 ASA. You have underexposed by 1 stop. No amount of fumbling with developers will fix your underexposed shadows. Remember the old advice - expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights. It is still true. 

Thanks. I shot at 800 ASA and developed at 800 ASA, so I do not think I underexposed in development.  Please let me know if this is incorrect.  Used the Massive Development Chart's recommendation for HP5 shot at 800 ASA using DD-X.  I'm a novice with developing so I have not learned how to tweak chemistry and development times to underexpose when developing. I definitely tried to expose for the shadows but not enough for the horses' eyes.  I knew it would blow out the highlights but I underestimated how much to open up.  

• Like 1

Very nice, Ray.  And I think the results are perfectly in line for the one stop push, which is going to naturally increase the contrast and lose a little shadow detail.  I am no sure what your flat scan looks like but I would venture to guess that you will be able to extract more detail out of the neg digitally than with a wet print.  

Very nice result and keep it up!

3 hours ago, RayD28 said:

• Like 3

A new spot opened up along the East River downtown near the bridges and I sucked it up and went out there last Sunday for the sunrise with my Technorama and 90mm.

I brought a roll of Delta 3200 , which I of course shot at 1600, and Ektar.  

Here is the Delta 3200.  the reciprocity failure really sucks on the film and the exposure time was around 10 minutes.  I think next time I will try about half the time.

I was able to just barely fit the entire Manhattan bridge in the frame (maxing out on the rise feature of my lens), although if I swiveled any more to the left I exponentially lose headroom on the right side.  So this is about as much of the left part of the bridge that I could get.    I took some more photos with the camera swiveled to the right which captured the Freedom Tower and more of the lower manhattan skyline, cutting loose the left part of the Manhattan Bridge.  More to come on this later...

Edited by A miller
  • Like 18

R 90 mm Summicron lens, Leica R9, Fuji Velvia ISO 50 film. Big Sur, CA, USA.

• Like 18

R 90 mm Summicron lens, Leica R9, Fuji Velvia ISO 50 film. San Diego Zoo, CA, USA.

Edited by SHenry
  • Like 11

R 90 mm Summicron lens, Leica R9, Fuji Velvia ISO 50 film. Gift Shop at Big Sur, CA, USA.

• Like 10

California Coastal Goodness. R 90 mm Summicron lens, Leica R9, Fuji Velvia ISO 50 film.

• Like 18

Great result Adam. A cracker of a photo location I think. I like how the water looks like an ice mirror. How much rise is there on that lens, and can it go 'negative' too? I must say seeing all these wide field shots of yours makes me want to go wider. Sure, I could crop shots taken with my 40 Distagon but it wouldn't be the same. 

1 hour ago, A miller said:

A new spot opened up along the East River downtown near the bridges and I sucked it up and went out there last Sunday for the sunrise with my Technorama and 90mm.

I brought a roll of Delta 3200 , which I of course shot at 1600, and Ektar.  

Here is the Delta 3200.  the reciprocity failure really sucks on the film and the exposure time was around 10 minutes.  I think next time I will try about half the time.

I was able to just barely fit the entire Manhattan bridge in the frame (maxing out on the rise feature of my lens), although if I swiveled any more to the left I exponentially lose headroom on the right side.  So this is about as much of the left part of the bridge that I could get.    I took some more photos with the camera swiveled to the right which captured the Freedom Tower and more of the lower manhattan skyline, cutting loose the left part of the Manhattan Bridge.  More to come on this later...

Hahaha, thanks Wayne. I learnt a new word today :)

3 hours ago, Wayne said:

Bounder. I laugh every time I see one on the road.

Marketing research failure?

Bounder: A man of objectionable social behavior

Synonyms: bastard, beast, bleeder, blighter, boor, bugger, buzzard, cad, chuff, churl, clown, creep, cretin, crud, crumb, cur, dirtbag, dog, fink, heel, hound, jerk, joker, louse, lout, pill, rat, rat fink, reptile, rotter, rot, schmuck, scum, scum bag, skuzzball, skunk, sleaze, sleazebag, sleazeball, slime, slimeball, slob, snake, so-and-so, sod, stinkard, slime, toad, varmint, vermin.

Minox BL/III, Agfa Copex microfilm

One would expect a gentleman in a trenchcoat to sit down on the bench, lean forward and remove a canister of microfilm from a holder underneath :)

6 hours ago, jcraf said:

Berlin Ostkreuz station, former East Berlin, at the turn of the century.

The wonderful drabness of this East Berlin scene is now gone forever with the now-rebuilt station.

MP, 35 Summicron Asph, Tri-X

This is such an endearing shot, well done Antonio. 

9 hours ago, AntonioF said:

At the beach

Leica M6, Soligor 35/3.5 LTM, Trix

20190822-DSC03448 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

Hahaha very funny. Really like the black and white theme too.

12 hours ago, A miller said:

Religious Beach, Tel Aviv.🕵️‍♂️

IIIg, 28mm Summaron, Portra 400 @800

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, philipus said:

Great result Adam. A cracker of a photo location I think. I like how the water looks like an ice mirror. How much rise is there on that lens, and can it go 'negative' too? I must say seeing all these wide field shots of yours makes me want to go wider. Sure, I could crop shots taken with my 40 Distagon but it wouldn't be the same. 

Hahaha very funny. Really like the black and white theme too.

Thanks very much, Philip.  The lens adapter is not cheap and can only be used with the two wides that are made for the camera (90 and 72) but it does come in very handy.  The adapter has a rise and fall, so it does go both ways up to a max of 14mm, which is pretty good.

• Thanks 2

Tri-X roof.

• Like 15

6 hours ago, RayD28 said:

Probably best pursued with a discussion on the Film or Darkroom forums, but "pushing" and "compensating for the shadows" are inherently contradictory goals. Unless one is starting with a low-contrast subject (cloudy day or in shade) where there are no (literal) shadows to begin with. If it was possible to retain full shadow detail/density with push-processing (extra development), we wouldn't need any ISO higher than 50 - we could just keep "pushing it" to any ISO we wanted.

Nevertheless, as other have said, your picture holds up OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

She does not care - she only wants to eat.

Nikon F3 HP, Nikkor 35mm, 2.8.

Edited by Shlomo
  • Like 10
  • Haha 5