I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

vor 5 Stunden schrieb A miller:

The toxicity of the grain rivals that of the water 😳

Scan from Negative? I guess a scan of a print will end up with much less grain…
Negatives scan mostly much more grainy than slides.
Nice landscape though...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Flickr
50/1.8AIS XP2(EI800) HC110(E) X1
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, verwackelt said:

Scan from Negative? I guess a scan of a print will end up with much less grain…
Negatives scan mostly much more grainy than slides.
Nice landscape though...

Oh yes, on a Flextight no less. 😳

• Haha 1

That´s a problem on real drum scanners too. I worked in the 90th as a scanneroperator on Crossfield and Hell- later Heidelberg Drumscanner.
A Flextight came in the 2000ths short before the company closed. Scanning negatives was always a pain in the xxx...
We suggested our customers to make a good large print of the negativ and do scanning the print. The result is much better close to the look of a print then scanning the negative.
Today i would do the same. Although some film can be well digitised on a copy stand with a macro lens and a good digital camera. Less grain then negativescans but still not the same look in color and gradation of a good print. Often more postprocessing neccessary scanning negs then at scanning prints. 

Edited by verwackelt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that even with a basic scanner and the knowledge of how to manipulate it in a program like photoshop, anyone can produce an astetekily pleasing picture. Of course if the final print is being done the traditional way in a darkroom then scanning isn’t necessary but getting the negative in the ball park is. 

Neil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

That´s a problem on real drum scanners too. I worked in the 90th as a scanneroperator on Crossfield and Hell- later Heidelberg Drumscanner.
A Flextight came in the 2000ths short before the company closed. Scanning negatives was always a pain in the xxx...
We suggested our customers to make a good large print of the negativ and do scanning the print. The result is much better close to the look of a print then scanning the negative.
Today i would do the same. Although some film can be well digitised on a copy stand with a macro lens and a good digital camera. Less grain then negativescans but still not the same look in color and gradation of a good print. Often more postprocessing neccessary scanning negs then at scanning prints. 

Thanks for your insights.  Sounds like you have a treasure trove of experience!  I don't think the X1 has anything to do with the grain.  I have plenty of examples from my Coolscan with the same effect.  I don't do any noise reduction, and maybe I should just to tame it a little.  Here's a version with some NR applied.

I don't know if you are familiar with this particular film stock, but it is all about the out-of-control grain and warped colors. Most people look at it with 4 eyes.  It is not my cup of tea, either, but I do challenge myself from time to time.  

I will say, though, that I do not have any problem whatsoever with my X1 (or coolscan) and the usual C41 pro-stock films, such as Ektar and Portra, which I am told have been designed with scanning mind.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

May I add that my 8x10 contact prints are somewhat nice, but they are nowhere near as nice as what I can produce with a scanner and Photoshop. 

Neil

vor 20 Minuten schrieb A miller:

Thanks for your insights.  Sounds like you have a treasure trove of experience!  I don't think the X1 has anything to do with the grain.  I have plenty of examples from my Coolscan with the same effect.  I don't do any noise reduction, and maybe I should just to tame it a little.  Here's a version with some NR applied.

I don't know if you are familiar with this particular film stock, but it is all about the out-of-control grain and warped colors. Most people look at it with 4 eyes.  It is not my cup of tea, either, but I do challenge myself from time to time.  

I will say, though, that I do not have any problem whatsoever with my X1 (or coolscan) and the usual C41 pro-stock films, such as Ektar and Portra, which I am told have been designed with scanning mind.  

Years ago i spoke with a technican from Kodak about the strong grain of scans from most negativescans. He told me that the colour couplers in most emulsions are the problem.
They react so strong with scanners light. Others then the colordyes in E6 films. Scans from Kodakchromeslides were a bit more grainy too by the way...
So some films make less grain as others. That has to be tested.
Another problem is the orange mask of negative films and the gradation for chemical printing that neg.scans looks weird sometimes on some scanners.
Most scanners were optimised for transparency E6 Films. Because that was most standard in the agency and printing world back in the film era
Thats why a negative scan has to be more postprocessed if the same look as a RA4 Print wants to be achieved.
Without postprocessing a negativescan looks quite good but mostly it is just  a somehow colourful sharp picture.
But seldom with the look of an analogue print.
Please excuse my english. I am not so routined to explain technical things in a foreign language. I hope it was understandable anyway...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

vor 23 Stunden schrieb A miller:
Am 6.5.2019 um 10:37 schrieb Kl@usW.:

Moai, easy to guess, on Easter Island or better Isla de Pascua or even better Rapa Nui, near Hanga Roa. I was astonished to learn that what I thought was a red hat  actually is a hair-do.... This statue is a replica to show the Out of the factory condition of moai. Islanders stopped the production of the statues some hundred years before the advent of the first Europeans, so the eyes, made of obsidian and coral are lost on the originals. Moai are always male, sorry to say this. Since there is no retrograde Gender-Correctness, we have to accept this. 

HB, Distagon 2,8/50, Ektar,     About sunset

Mehr anzeigen  

Very interesting, Klaus!  Love those buggy eyes :)

Yes, the eyes stand out.  Story with the eyes is: The statues were made in a quarry up in the mountains some miles from the sea front away, but without the eyes, then transported to their place near the sea and set up on a kind of ceremonial platform. Only then the eyes were applied-making the moai thus seeing and awaking him to life. 

I thought , as a very visual person and having spent my professional life with vision and eyes, the idea of seeing equalled to living quite interesting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Boooring. More grain, more grain, more grain! :D

1 hour ago, A miller said:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Flickr
50/1.8AIS Portra 160 X1
  • Like 12

19 hours ago, benqui said:

Please find some impressions from a short trip to Peking. All photos were take with the Contax T2 and Portra 400 or Pro Image 100. 

My 16 year old son was falling a bit in love when he saw her

A wonderful series - and I surely understand your sons feelings :) I guess my oldest son would feel the same...

• Haha 2

I walked around that cube for hours, but couldn't bring one of the construction workers busy nearby to pose for me like they did for Fedoraman. My mojo finally left me...

Ricoh GR1 - Portra 160

• Like 12
  • Haha 6

Another take:

Same setup

• Like 19

The great hall within the National Museum of the American Indian:

Ricoh GR1 - Portra 160

• Like 17