I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 4.5.2019 um 03:33 schrieb stray cat:

Damn! Would have just missed you - we were there in May! Small world.

Yes and it is such beautiful country with very very friendly people. But unfortunately nowadays it is much more dangerous to go there!

• Thanks 1

Am 5.5.2019 um 16:03 schrieb A miller:

I am hoping that this is a preview of more of what I will be able to capture with my 6x17 with my much longer upcoming 7 week stay in Israel later this summer.  

Golden Hour (which really should be called "magenta hour as the mountains tend to turn magenta rather than gold), Dead Sea ♥️

Ektar 6x17

180mm Schneider APO Symmar 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Am 5.5.2019 um 17:10 schrieb Sparkassenkunde:

Later that day we had our dinner at Pier A and enjoyed the sunse over New Jersey:

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Kl@usW.:

Moai, easy to guess, on Easter Island or better Isla de Pascua or even better Rapa Nui, near Hanga Roa. I was astonished to learn that what I thought was a red hat  actually is a hair-do.... This statue is a replica to show the Out of the factory condition of moai. Islanders stopped the production of the statues some hundred years before the advent of the first Europeans, so the eyes, made of obsidian and coral are lost on the originals. Moai are always male, sorry to say this. Since there is no retrograde Gender-Correctness, we have to accept this. 

HB, Distagon 2,8/50, Ektar,     About sunset

Gentlemen, you made my day with these fantastic analog photos!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chinese couple of the year

Edited by benqui
  • Like 15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

People are in the parks to dance or sing, a really relaxed atmosphere which I did not expect.

Chinese Golden Girls

• Like 16

Some of them are not yet so relaxed

• Like 13

in the streets of Peking

• Like 15

And last but not least Mr. Cool

• Like 16

Am 4.5.2019 um 21:25 schrieb edwardkaraa:

A couple of recent scans from an expired Superia 1600 roll. 

M7 ZM 50/2 Superia 1600 by edward karaa, on Flickr

M7 ZM 35/2.8 Superia 1600 by edward karaa, on Flickr

wow, perfect match of colors in the first picture. The rusty containers and the green deck chairs were made for each other--colorwise

Am 5.5.2019 um 17:10 schrieb Sparkassenkunde:

Later that day we had our dinner at Pier A and enjoyed the sunse over New Jersey:

fascinating structure and color of the water in the foreground. 

vor 12 Stunden schrieb stray cat:

The post-apocalyptic shopping trolleys 2012

M6TTL, 50mm Elmar, Tri-X

exciting chaos, I like this very much. Endzeit. 

vor 12 Stunden schrieb stray cat:

This is just lovely, Klaus - all things in harmony - choice of format, lens, viewpoint, time-of-day and film. Superb.

Thank you, I value your comment. It took me quite a while to work out the best angle... 

vor 11 Stunden schrieb NW67:

Chilling

503CW with tmax 100

Interesting. Did you use a infra red or green filter ? Or is this the normal  T max -rendering ? 

vor 8 Stunden schrieb A miller:

This one is because of @christoph_d, who after seeing some of his Adox portfolio when he was recently here in NY got me inspired to bring some Color Implosion with me to Israel and keep it loaded in my Contax T3.

"Batman Beach", Dead Sea, Israel.

Adox Color Implosion, Contax T3

when I first saw this foto, I found the grain and the banding a bit disturbing-but looking at it for a while, it does have a quality of its own-suggesting heat, blinding light, atmospheric disturbance, the smell of the soil, sound of the wind.... Yes ! good ! 

BTW  Do you hire a donkey to carry your equipment on these trips ?  Contax, SWC, 6x17, tripod, films, filters, light-meter.... I'm impressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Red Spectra
M-A APO 50  ADOX Color Implosion & Portra 400 & E100

• Like 14

Window Line Black
M-A APO 50  E100

• Like 12

Woofer No. 2
M-A APO 50  E100

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Although I like the Ektar version more, this version is also very appealing. I wonder though, where the streaks in the left side of the picture come from? Is this a feature of the film, a certain kind of color change from the sunlight, that is reflected from the clouds or simply some scanning issue? 

Thanks, James.  I really have no idea.  I think it may have been lens flare of some kind.  It wasn't replicated by any other photo in the roll

6 hours ago, adelie said:

Canberra Australia - Parliament Buildings

Leica M5 

Very nice, Adrian!  Coming to NYC soon?

4 hours ago, benqui said:

Chinese couple of the year

Love this one, Marc - the contrast between the people in motion in the background and the couple in the foreground, oblivious to the fast paced world.  Bravo!

4 hours ago, benqui said:

People are in the parks to dance or sing, a really relaxed atmosphere which I did not expect.

Chinese Golden Girls

Great colors from that Contax!

4 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

when I first saw this foto, I found the grain and the banding a bit disturbing-but looking at it for a while, it does have a quality of its own-suggesting heat, blinding light, atmospheric disturbance, the smell of the soil, sound of the wind.... Yes ! good ! 

BTW  Do you hire a donkey to carry your equipment on these trips ?  Contax, SWC, 6x17, tripod, films, filters, light-meter.... I'm impressed.

Ha ha, yes "disturbing" is a nice way to put it :)  Blame Christoph - he made me do it :)

And yes, I apparently am not a very good light traveler when it comes to my equipment.

But after seeing my friend Pete Farnz @farnz this morning with his army-style back pack full of brass lenses including an M8 solely for the purpose of taking infrared photos, I don't feel so bad!!  😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Another one for Christoph from the Dead Sea.  The toxicity of the grain rivals that of the water 😳

Adox Color Implosion

Contax T3

Edited by A miller
  • Like 15

The things we can learn from shopping carts.

I had to laugh. It hit me as allegorical. The web. Advance in digital technology. I remember the idea that they would do nothing but liberate mankind.

IIIC, Jupiter 8 50/2, Foma 100

• Like 14
  • Haha 4

Luddite

IIIC, Jupiter 8 50/2, Foma 100

• Like 17
  • Haha 2

On 5/5/2019 at 12:27 AM, Kl@usW. said:

This arrangement evokes—unlike  the previous, which resonated on a more intellectual plane, visceral feelings.Maybe its the color of drying blood or the vivid greens, which bring associations of  Cyanobacter (or more practical, since I ´ m  in Italy right now, of Gorgonzola ). I ´ m now left  with the question, what the fine golden line is up to...? Perhaps just the barrier, covering the hidden interior life, which we are not supposed to see, but of which the blood —and this piece of art—is telling. 

Rog, great! I really  think its wonderful. Don ´ t be offended by my associations. You sure  know Brecht´ s dictum „ Erst kommt das Fressen, dann die Moral“—which , in this context might translate as : dont write  comments on art, if you are tired and hungry...

Replicant Choreography. Yes, I am the choreographer, and you are the critic with a reception reading with "visceral feelings" these color fields, lifeless and abstract, though they are real surfaces from everyday life. Mostly, commonplace and overlooked, casually drab, these color fields choreographed in context, even confrontation, with one another elicit an interpretive response. At least, that's my dream, and that you would be reminded of Brecht--well, forgive me while I cover a slight smile in appreciation. My "dream" for this piece actually started more from a kind of nightmare; nothing is what it appears to be. It's noted that we live in an era of surveillance, plagued by an undercurrent of paranoia. Looking at the surface the "color of drying blood," as you remarked, there are tiny flecks of green, evidence of age, weathering, and use, but it brought to my mind the question of what if? What if colors had an interior, hidden life? Nothing is as it appears. The two photographs I married for the vertical totem were purposely anatomical looking, and I had the somewhat disturbing shot--something that looks either like a microscopic specimen, but at the same time, disjointed, chaotic, even nightmarish. Squinting at this jumble, a face emerges, several faces, in fact--perhaps puppets in dance, the imagination reels. You sent me to the dictionary for "cyanobacteria," which is on the mark for me as an interpretation of that color field, the replicants. The "fine golden line" borders the green slate looking color because I wanted to convey the sense of a blank slate as the proscenium for procreation. I am more than impressed and very gratified that you used the terms "covering the hidden interior life" as an element of this piece.

Here is an earlier sketch of the piece where I used the blank slate as a simple color field next to but outside of the replicant field. The idea was to prompt the viewer to ping pong back and forth between that which is blank and the replicant field, filling in the blank. It works in my mind, though perhaps it's too vague.

Thanks, again, so much for your critique.

Cheers,
Rog

Edited by Ernest
Deleted
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1