I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Chamonix 8x10 HP5+ Lit  with Profoto B1 head

1/125 f32

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Guest

Otranto, the tree of life mosaic/floor in the cathedral

M6, Summicron 35 asph, Trix

20190413-DSC02596 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

• Like 12

I am wondering if, given the large foreground of water, the composition wouldn't be stronger if cropped rectangular to focus on the base? It's good as it is but the question that lingers in my mind is what is it meant to show, is it the bridge's foot, the Freedom tower, the skyline or all of those things. If you go for a rectangular crop to frame the tower with the foot - sort of to show the resilience of that tower and how it stands out among its peers, to go all philosophical here - then you could consider darkening the metal structure which forms the "frame" to further put the focus on the tower. It is already quite bright so would stand out even clearer then. All just some spontaneous thoughts. All this being said it is a strong photo as it is though. And the tones are just wonderful.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:59 PM, A miller said:

Thanks Gary and Steve.  I am a little cold on the image and think it could use a big tilt upward with a 4x5 so that more of the bridge (and underbelly thereof) is visible and less of the water, while maintaining perfect verticals.

And fortunately Marc @MT0227 has a beautiful Linhof 4x5 with all the trimmings for us to use for the execution on this... :)

Thoughts?

A wow from me, Rog. Does it depict stairs, descending, but towards camera right, to some unknown darkish place? And if down is to the right, then were are we, the viewers? Suspended, weightless? Or are we gazing at the cosmos through brutal concrete slabs which at any given moment may turn and close to shut us in? Just wow.

On 4/13/2019 at 1:54 AM, Ernest said:

PanoGray Polyptych
M-A APO 50mm E100

Just wonderful, Klaus. A beautiful composition and fantastic colours. 

On 4/13/2019 at 2:21 PM, Kl@usW. said:

on the way to the bin--a made detour to my balcony table and arranged the withered tulips. 

Leica 2,8/60 Macro Elmarit /  Eos V1 / Ektar / daylight

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whenever I fly I'm reminded by that thing Douglas Adams wrote in The long dark tea-time of the soul:

“It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the expression "as pretty as an airport". Airports are ugly. Some are very ugly. Some attain a degree of ugliness that can only be the result of a special effort. This ugliness arises because airports are full of people who are tired, cross, and have just discovered that their luggage has landed in Murmansk (Murmansk airport is the only exception of this otherwise infallible rule), and the architects have on the whole tried to reflect this in their designs. They have sought to highlight the tiredness and crossness motif with brutal shapes and nerve jangling colours, to make effortless the business of separating the traveller from his or her luggage or loved ones, to confuse the traveller with arrows that appear to point at the windows, distant tie racks, or the current position of the Ursa Minor in the night sky, and wherever possible to expose the plumbing on the grounds that it is functional, and conceal the location of the departure gates, presumably on the grounds that they are not.”

On that note, here's a sort of abstract from the Arlanda airport (ARN).

Flickr
80 Planar Portra 400VC(EI100) X1
  • Like 16

Installation "Les petits bateaux",  Metz 2018

Leica RE,  Summicron 50,  Ektar 100

• Like 18

Portra 400 converted to B&W

• Like 19

Expired Fuji 800 Press, Agfa Super Silette, 50/2 Solagon

• Like 17

7 hours ago, man:men said:

Negative-Desaster

OK, OK I give up. Nothing makes any sense here. And yet it hangs together as a riveting photograph. Absolutely fantastic. And, speaking only for myself, please don't reveal the reality, as it stands now as a chimeric vision.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Flatline Test Patterns
M-A APO 50  E100

Test pattern study. In broad sunlight, staring at electric blue nothingness, expecting some voltage for a jumpstart.

• Like 17

8 hours ago, man:men said:

Negative-Desaster

Disaster? More like totally apocalyptic! Don't show this to Ridley Scott, otherwise he's going to start working on your visionary consciousness for a feature film. Second thought, this image has already started its creative infection, LUF at ground zero. Dare to speculate that this is what happens when the past memory portal is retrieved through triangulation scambled intermittently by ley lines. This is where Vija Celmins vacations with her sketch pad.

Waiting for the next disaster,

Rog

• Haha 2

driving through Tasmania when this rainbow forms in the valley below, Portra 400 

• Like 19

At the bottom of the valley is the River Leven

• Like 15

3 hours ago, gbealnz said:

Very graphic, I'd be keen to see what the Portra colour shot looked like.

Gary

Gary, here's the image unedited. It was flat light and I think my exposure was off. 

cheers,

josh

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 4/13/2019 at 2:51 AM, Ernest said:

Have you thought about 6X17 framed up vertically to include all of the water, the reflection, dramatizing the sandwiched view through the bridge girders? One-third is water, and two-thirds is architecture.

Love the idea of a vertical pano, Rog.  I think, though, that this would work better with 20% at most of the frame with water then the next 30% or so the base of the bridge and then the remaining 50% the details of the bridge above the base.  I might need Marc’s @MT0227 4x5 to get sufficient upward tilt and rise to make this happen.  Thanks again for the excellent thought!

On 4/13/2019 at 11:29 AM, atournas said:

Great shot, Adam! However, what impresses me most in this image is not the viewpoint, although strong as well. What I find very "educational" is how the big volume of the bridge's foot dominates the frame is such a compositionally perfect way! The size of an object in an image is known to be a fundamental element of good composition that is very difficult to capture constructively. I myself usually fail, being more successful with lines and texture. Anyway, really thanks for sharing it here.

Many thanks, Paul!

On 4/13/2019 at 3:13 PM, Kl@usW. said:

Ouch---toxic grain hitting my eyes.. and the colors ! great

Athens seem a very good place to do "street"--- keep on! 

Your MF photos of Venice and the lagoon islands convey the mood of these places very well; unlike the selfie-ridden places like  San Marco you may still find a genuine tranquility. And the slightly desaturated Portra colors are very appropriate too. Good !!

Haha ! 

Impressive ! The sheer volume and weight of the pillars are shown very good. And the foreground imho is ok, the reflections of the pillars in the water give more power. I agree;  a bit more of the construction above the pillars would be nice. Vertical pano? 

Very nice and intimate. The first one is super. 

Thanks a lot, Klaus!

On 4/13/2019 at 3:21 PM, Kl@usW. said:

on the way to the bin--a made detour to my balcony table and arranged the withered tulips. 

Leica 2,8/60 Macro Elmarit /  Eos V1 / Ektar / daylight

On 4/13/2019 at 4:25 PM, Bobitybob said:

Island fence ...

Fuji GS645S, Portra 400 (expired 2016)

Really beautiful, Robert!

On 4/13/2019 at 8:32 PM, lookbook said:

dune

HASSELBLAD | FLEXBODY | DISTAGON 50MM | TRIX-D76

Wow a real stunner!

On 4/13/2019 at 10:16 PM, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Adam,

Nice photo.

Did you ever think of cropping it with about 1/2 of the water starting from the corner of the bridge support nearest us & then down to the bottom removed?

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael - yes i played arounnd with this and decided i didnt like it bc it took too much surface area of the file size away and also made the base of the bridge a little bit too dominant IMO. 

On 4/14/2019 at 3:46 AM, Ramesh said:

Lovely image Adam. You have the uncanny ability to bring a different and interesting perspective to a familiar picture opportunity. Love your work.

Cheers,

Ramesh

Sincere thanks, Ramesh.  I really appreciate that!

21 hours ago, stray cat said:

I found this old photo of Adam's Fan Club's Occupational Safety and Health Administration compliance officer: *

Kandy, Sri Lanka 1985

Canon A1, FDn 50mm f1.4, Kodachrome 64

* and yes, in case you were wondering (come on admit it, you were) the guy ate the whole thing.

Ha!  This is awesome, Phil - and hysterical!  It deserved to be enshrined in Brent’s @fotografr thread for sure! 🙂

16 hours ago, philipus said:

I am wondering if, given the large foreground of water, the composition wouldn't be stronger if cropped rectangular to focus on the base? It's good as it is but the question that lingers in my mind is what is it meant to show, is it the bridge's foot, the Freedom tower, the skyline or all of those things. If you go for a rectangular crop to frame the tower with the foot - sort of to show the resilience of that tower and how it stands out among its peers, to go all philosophical here - then you could consider darkening the metal structure which forms the "frame" to further put the focus on the tower. It is already quite bright so would stand out even clearer then. All just some spontaneous thoughts. All this being said it is a strong photo as it is though. And the tones are just wonderful.

A wow from me, Rog. Does it depict stairs, descending, but towards camera right, to some unknown darkish place? And if down is to the right, then were are we, the viewers? Suspended, weightless? Or are we gazing at the cosmos through brutal concrete slabs which at any given moment may turn and close to shut us in? Just wow.

Just wonderful, Klaus. A beautiful composition and fantastic colours. 

Great thoughts, Philip.  I really love the input and ideas that i get from you guys.  So thoughtful and smart!

16 hours ago, philipus said:

Whenever I fly I'm reminded by that thing Douglas Adams wrote in The long dark tea-time of the soul:

“It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the expression "as pretty as an airport". Airports are ugly. Some are very ugly. Some attain a degree of ugliness that can only be the result of a special effort. This ugliness arises because airports are full of people who are tired, cross, and have just discovered that their luggage has landed in Murmansk (Murmansk airport is the only exception of this otherwise infallible rule), and the architects have on the whole tried to reflect this in their designs. They have sought to highlight the tiredness and crossness motif with brutal shapes and nerve jangling colours, to make effortless the business of separating the traveller from his or her luggage or loved ones, to confuse the traveller with arrows that appear to point at the windows, distant tie racks, or the current position of the Ursa Minor in the night sky, and wherever possible to expose the plumbing on the grounds that it is functional, and conceal the location of the departure gates, presumably on the grounds that they are not.”

On that note, here's a sort of abstract from the Arlanda airport (ARN).

Flickr
80 Planar Portra 400VC(EI100) X1

Love it!!

13 hours ago, man:men said:

Negative-Desaster

Wow, very cool!!

10 hours ago, christoph_d said:

Smoker

M5, 35, Portra400

Priceless and the portra 400 holds its own with the bold colors (could easily be Ektar)

10 hours ago, Matisse said:

Installation "Les petits bateaux",  Metz 2018

Leica RE,  Summicron 50,  Ektar 100

This is really beautiful!

8 hours ago, Wayne said:

Expired Fuji 800 Press, Agfa Super Silette, 50/2 Solagon

Good one, Wayne!

5 hours ago, Ernest said:

Flatline Test Patterns
M-A APO 50  E100

Test pattern study. In broad sunlight, staring at electric blue nothingness, expecting some voltage for a jumpstart.

Wow, another kaleidoscope of shapes colors and textures !

5 hours ago, hillavoider said:

driving through Tasmania when this rainbow forms in the valley below, Portra 400 

Beautiful countryside!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6