I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, atournas said:

Beautiful capture. The place was also photographed by Frederick H. Evans, practically at the same angle of view; e.g., https://monovisions.com/frederick-h-evans-biography-architecture-photographer/

Thanks, Apostolos.  Yes, I'm familiar with Evans's images of Wells Cathedral and others.

• Like 1

From the same roll as earlier. One can even read the small print on the door which is a testament to film methinks and its endless well of details.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Flickr
Same roll as earlier Edited by philipus
  • Like 12

Still looking for Fedoraman, this time in the dark underworld of New York ... 😮

M5, 35, Fuji800

• Like 14
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, }{B said:

Leica 111f & 50mm Summar - Ilford Delta100 & yellow filter

West coast of Scotland - Loch Duich seen from the viewpoint on the Mam Ratagan pass

Holy Moses!  This is an amazing scene and digitally dodged and burned in an expert fashion.  Bravo!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Great viewpoint, love the composition, Adam!

36 minutes ago, gbealnz said:

A wow from me Adam, a striking shot.

Gary

Thanks Gary and Steve.  I am a little cold on the image and think it could use a big tilt upward with a 4x5 so that more of the bridge (and underbelly thereof) is visible and less of the water, while maintaining perfect verticals.

And fortunately Marc @MT0227 has a beautiful Linhof 4x5 with all the trimmings for us to use for the execution on this... :)

Thoughts?

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, A miller said:

......Thoughts?

You'd have to go pretty wide to do that at such close range*. 

If I am going be critical, I agree, there is a little too much foreground and i would like to see a little more of the bridge above.  How much more bridge above depends somewhat on what the sky is doing.

I do like the way you have framed that old slum tenement tower block within the bridge pier and the detail and tonal rendition throughout the image is gorgeous.

*ETA: Just saw that you used a 180mm on 6x9.  You wouldn't need to go very wide on 5x4 in that case!  

Edited by Ouroboros
I subsequently RTF post properly !
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

You'd have to go pretty wide to do that at such close range*. 

If I am going be critical, I agree, there is a little too much foreground and i would like to see a little more of the bridge above.  How much more bridge above depends somewhat on what the sky is doing.

I do like the way you have framed that old slum tenement tower block within the bridge pier and the detail and tonal rendition throughout the image is gorgeous.

*ETA: Just saw that you used a 180mm on 6x9.  You wouldn't need to go very wide on 5x4 in that case!  

I appreciate that feedback, Steve.  I totally agree.  You really need at least a normal FL lens in order to get the compression with the Freedom tower and the Manhattan Bridge.  But I am so bored by the extra water in the foreground and would love to see more of the beautiful architectural details in the Bridge.  That's why I was thinking if I used a 4x5 and gave it an upward tilt I could achieve this while keeping the verticals.  Think it's more tricky that I am making it sound?

3 hours ago, A miller said:

Linhof Technika Press 23

180mm Zeiss Sonar

Tmax 100 (6x9)

Have you thought about 6X17 framed up vertically to include all of the water, the reflection, dramatizing the sandwiched view through the bridge girders? One-third is water, and two-thirds is architecture.

• Like 1

PanoGray Polyptych
M-A APO 50mm E100

• Like 10