I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Spectral Diptych

M-A Summicron-M 50mm f/2 LHSA ADOX Implosion

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 16

Floor 2 Diptych

M-A Summicron-M 50mm f/2 LHSA ADOX Implosion

• Like 12

Double Ballast

M-A Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ADOX Implosion

• Like 14

excellent series, Mark.  Really great reportage.

A few more from the still ongoing State of Independence series, shot in Barcelona:

Please do not take these out of context - events such as these are still very rare and quite constrained. Only a few blocks away there were tourists strolling down Las Ramblas seemingly unaware of what was happening nearby.

These were all taken with the M7 and 35mm Summilux on Delta 400, and are part of a larger set blogged here.

These are really great, Gary.  I especially love the first.

Last of the sprocket trial.

SWC A-12

Tri-X in R09 @ 1:50.

Epson 4870

Gary

• Like 3

Not sure how this was done but I really like it!

It is using the full (larger than 35mm frame) coverage of a M/F camera, in my case the SWC.

35mm is used instead of 120, and you need a couple of spindle ends to take up the space of the 120 spool.

It's laborious, but I just had to try it.

Plus, it can get tiring fast.

Gary

• Like 2

Canyonlands Utah

Ektar 100 - Zeiss 4.5/21 - M6

• Like 17

Canyonlands Utah

Ektar 100 - Zeiss 4.5/21 - M6

• Like 14

A few more from the still ongoing State of Independence series, shot in Barcelona:

Please do not take these out of context - events such as these are still very rare and quite constrained. Only a few blocks away there were tourists strolling down Las Ramblas seemingly unaware of what was happening nearby.

These were all taken with the M7 and 35mm Summilux on Delta 400, and are part of a larger set blogged here.

Wow! Powerful images, the last one is amazing...

At a wine tasting in St Emilion. This town in the Bordeaux region is an important centre in the wine trade. As well – partly because it is picturesque – it is also a tourist mecca.

Our bike tour stopped here for a tasting, and a few people bought cases, with arrangements for trans shipment to Virginia. XP2.

• Like 17

Last of the sprocket trial.

SWC A-12

Tri-X in R09 @ 1:50.

Epson 4870

Gary

I am struck by how well the panoramic effect is rendered by the 35mm film. Are you now able to pretty much judge where the sprocket holes will appear in the image, while framing? I have been fooling around with 16mm film in an old Soviet 16mm sub-miniature camera and struggle with the sprocket holes. They are easy enough to crop out after scanning, but sometimes I have to crop out things I would rather preserve.

What are your thoughts, following the trial?

Beautiful shots.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 1

If anyone here is interested, I've just listed my Mamiya 7ii and three lenses on the Buy and Sell pages. And as a sweetener I'm including a pro-pack of fresh 120 Velvia 50. And for "I Like Film" forum people (actually for anyone even though I didn't say it in the ad) I'll pack it in a very very nice Domke backpack. :)

• Like 2

I am struck by how well the panoramic effect is rendered by the 35mm film. Are you now able to pretty much judge where the sprocket holes will appear in the image, while framing? I have been fooling around with 16mm film in an old Soviet 16mm sub-miniature camera and struggle with the sprocket holes. They are easy enough to crop out after scanning, but sometimes I have to crop out things I would rather preserve.

What are your thoughts, following the trial?

Beautiful shots.

Wayne

Wayne,

My thoughts? It's fun, but hard work fun.

I got the idea from an e mail newsletter put out by the Film Photography Project people. They were selling the spool things that assist the 35mm cannister to sit where the 120 spool normally resides, thus allowing you to use 35mm in all manner of older cameras. I located some spools elsewhere as they were sold out.

In answering the direct question though, no, no idea where anything was actually. The film in a Hasselblad magazine runs vertically, top to bottom, and this meant the wider side of the film was vertical. So, I simply held the camera on it's side, used the rudimentary (you have to experience it to know what I mean) SWC torpedo finder to roughly gauge where I was aiming, and squeezed the release, hoping like mad I had what I thought I has. Making matters worse, the finder is obstructed significantly by the lens, so again, heaps of guesswork.

So, not only was overall framing difficult to impossible, but any guessing of where the edges of the 35mm and therefore the sprockets were, well, nope no idea at all.

Good fun to try though, and if I can source/borrow an A-24 back, I intend taking it with me to Europe, shooting some cheap colour neg stock, just to try it.

Give it a go.

Gary

• Like 3

Hoosiers

Minox B, Foma 100

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 19

Wayne,

My thoughts? It's fun, but hard work fun.

I got the idea from an e mail newsletter put out by the Film Photography Project people. They were selling the spool things that assist the 35mm cannister to sit where the 120 spool normally resides, thus allowing you to use 35mm in all manner of older cameras. I located some spools elsewhere as they were sold out.

In answering the direct question though, no, no idea where anything was actually. The film in a Hasselblad magazine runs vertically, top to bottom, and this meant the wider side of the film was vertical. So, I simply held the camera on it's side, used the rudimentary (you have to experience it to know what I mean) SWC torpedo finder to roughly gauge where I was aiming, and squeezed the release, hoping like mad I had what I thought I has. Making matters worse, the finder is obstructed significantly by the lens, so again, heaps of guesswork.

So, not only was overall framing difficult to impossible, but any guessing of where the edges of the 35mm and therefore the sprockets were, well, nope no idea at all.

Good fun to try though, and if I can source/borrow an A-24 back, I intend taking it with me to Europe, shooting some cheap colour neg stock, just to try it.

Give it a go.

Gary

It is frustrating, the number of great ideas that just don't go far enough..........or,  go askew. I think of the Rolleikin: the only problem is that they oriented the frame in such a manner that the photograph framing is tall, rather than wide. I tried holding the Rolleflex sideways...........You can imagine. :)

• Like 2