I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Love the picture, great layering, fabulous!

I'm wondering if this could be done as well using digital - even if it could it wouldn't be half as much fun; half the fun is the process, the waiting, the smell and a permanent record unlike digital.

Steve

Leica S can defiantly get the layering but like you say, not as much fun............I just wish I could shoot my 8x10 in colour. I can buy the film but have nowhere to get it developed in Malaysia or Thailand

Neil

• Like 1

Shore temple, Mahabalipuram, Chennai

Leica M6, 90mm APO, Kodak Portra 400

Regards,

Ramesh

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

some shots from Yankee Stadium the other night .... using the Bergger Pancro 400, though being not shots that were underexposed (my mistake) this is not exactly a fair test ..... 

• Like 16

Ray I disagree because film reproduces differently

I show to all of you the proofs when I compare digital vs film not a diatribe

You will probably notice that I never comment in other digital threads because

I am sincere

I cannot tell that color is beautiful , when it's not , that's the reason you don't see

my comments in these digital threads

If it continues I'll stop to post my film pictures in this thread... may be pictures

posted above are my last.

Good continuation All 

Best

Henry

PS : I still have my two M digital cameras but don't use them.. and one detail

I have 9 years of digital practice behind me

If this were to transpire, there could be no "good continuation" for me. Henry, you strike me a man of great principle and integrity. Not only do I find great joy in your photos- especially the poppies- I also take great heart that they come from a man who constantly jets around the world, selflessly offering benefit of medical knowledge and skill to those in need of same. The "Doc Henry" photos......and opinions/commentaries.....always bring a smile to my face. Even on those rare occasions where I might disagree. ;)

Victor Hugo, Toilers of the Sea:

"He was a man of such integrity that to suspect him.....was to bring suspicion on yourself."

Keep them coming, Henry. When you have time.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 17

two more . . . .

• Like 14

last shot -- Todd Frazier hitting a homer .... 

• Like 16

Now I did an experiment I was thinking of for quite some time.

Have some packages from long expired ClassicPan 400 sheet film, that now shows a fine marbleization. So I like to find out what you can do with this stuff.

Here is a first result.

attachicon.gif02T17kl.jpg

TOYO View 8 x 10 inches, 360 mm/5,6, ClassicPan 400

Regards

Frank

Great!

• Like 1

These will be the last referee/Minox photos I post......I promise.

M, my friend and crew-mate, in his very last game following 35 years officiating high school football. It was a Monday evening JV (Junior Varsity) game. I am struck by how well the Minox rendered the spirit of my friend. He is a stoic man, always showing great dedication to whatever he is doing.

Minox LX, Ilford PanF

• Like 16

Have some packages from long expired ClassicPan 400 sheet film, that now shows a fine marbleization. So I like to find out what you can do with this stuff.

Here is a first result.

Regards

Frank

Spectacular! I love this. Like fine wine: it gets better with age.

If I may........standing in for Henry:

That is why film is better: you could not leave your digital camera sitting on the shelf, waiting for the sensor to pass its expiration date. :)

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 5

Thanks, Christoph.  The layering is exactly what caught my eye.  Early morning pre-dawn fog is very common in Jerusalem in the summer.  

Adam,

This is indeed excellent. With the band of clouds towering above the sun it almost looks as if the sun is rising in-between the mountains.
Great!

Rgds

C.

Thanks, Ian.  Love the butterfly :)

I quite like the iPhone photo too (I increasingly find my iPhone a good companion camera to my film bodies and, depending upon the context and intended purposes, sometimes the more suitable camera :ph34r: ).

Some more from Cumbria in the summer. All Portra 400 and, with one obvious exception, 28 Summaron-M.

This is from the Newbiggin-on-Lune end of the Smardale Gill nature reserve, a disused railway line from former times. Being a former railway line, the reserve is unsurprisingly quite linear in shape but is a wonderful place.

The Scotch Argus (Erebia aethiops), a very charming butterfly which my daughter and I had gone here to see (it is quite common in parts of Scotland but only flies in two places in England – both in Cumbria). I missed the focus on most of the butterfly in this photo. A few years ago, shooting digital, I would likely have deleted the file, but one of the joys of using film again as the primary medium is that it has helped me step back from a concern with the technicalities, and start to enjoy photos purely for what they mean to me (how they capture a feeling, support memories, etc.). 
23954937888_3d06e010a9_b.jpg

Thanks, Neil.  I do remember your camel photo.  It gave me inspiration for trying to get one myself in the area of the Dead Sea where camels are somewhat prevalent.  Unfortunately, each time I saw them I was running late to get home!

Fantastic Adam

I took this one in Ragistan with my 250 Super Combat.......I think I still have some rolls of 120 Ektar at home, I will go out and shoot some sun set with it when I get home

These are awesome, Steve.  I wanted to go with my son last Wednesday but he had a Spanish test the next day.  The Yankees are peaking at the perfect moment and they look amazing!!  Loving it!

some shots from Yankee Stadium the other night .... using the Bergger Pancro 400, though being not shots that were underexposed (my mistake) this is not exactly a fair test ..... 

NY Times fit to print.

last shot -- Todd Frazier hitting a homer .... 

Very nice!

Here is a first result.

Regards

Frank

Classic, Wayne.

These will be the last referee/Minox photos I post......I promise.

M, my friend and crew-mate, in his very last game following 35 years officiating high school football. It was a Monday evening JV (Junior Varsity) game. I am struck by how well the Minox rendered the spirit of my friend. He is a stoic man, always showing great dedication to whatever he is doing.

attachicon.gifimg066.jpg

attachicon.gifimg065.jpg

Minox LX, Ilford PanF

• Like 4

These will be the last referee/Minox photos I post......I promise.M, my friend and crew-mate, in his very last game following 35 years officiating high school football. It was a Monday evening JV (Junior Varsity) game. I am struck by how well the Minox rendered the spirit of my friend. He is a stoic man, always showing great dedication to whatever he is doing.attachicon.gifimg066.jpgattachicon.gifimg065.jpgMinox LX, Ilford PanF

So glad the tatty black border has returned :)

• Like 2

And I'd like to say what a superb piece of art your picture (above) is. Again, as I commented with Greg's picture, yours is a photograph that speaks to a process - in this case it is redolent of the cinema and evocative cinematography - the colours and bokeh are just glorious - like a still from the "golden age" (whenever that is or was). Highly emotive and atmospheric.

Thank you Phil. You picked up on a number of interesting aspects. 

Firstly the cinematic aspects. I actually hadn't those in mind when I took the picture, it was rather a test of film - and it's the film I refer to in the text; the after-celebration moment of the candles still burning in the cathedral of s'Hertogenbosch (that's the place where the painter Hieronymus Bosch comes from) looked like a good picture to see how the film works in subdued illumination mixing warm and cold lighting conditions. 

Secondly the bokeh. Once in a while the quality of a lens shines through, in this case the Summilux 1.4/50 pre-asph. Mine has some focus shift at close distances, but then the background melts away like butter and all is forgiven. Technopunk (three is he?) once told me he rates the lux (at f2) as the best Summicron ever build. 

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. 

Best regards,

Christoph

• Like 1

This evening I am going to be taking photos of my daughter's wedding. Because of this thread, I go into the doing with a great deal more confidence. But, as you can imagine, not total confidence.

I am going to be shooting my IID with Hektor 50mm 2.5, M7 with 35 Summilux pre-asph, Minox LX.

Films will be Bergger Pancro 400 (M7 & IID) and Across 100 (Minox.) I plan to push the Bergger to 1600, and the Acros to 400....possibly 800.

There is great wisdom and experience here. If you care to, over the next day or two, please PM me with any wisdom you may have on push-processing B&W films. I welcome any insight. I know there is a bunch of general information on WWW, but would value the benefit of any experience from this fine group.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 7

This evening I am going to be taking photos of my daughter's wedding. Because of this thread, I go into the doing with a great deal more confidence. But, as you can imagine, not total confidence.

I am going to be shooting my IID with Hektor 50mm 2.5, M7 with 35 Summilux pre-asph, Minox LX.

Films will be Bergger Pancro 400 (M7 & IID) and Across 100 (Minox.) I plan to push the Bergger to 1600, and the Acros to 400....possibly 800.

There is great wisdom and experience here. If you care to, over the next day or two, please PM me with any wisdom you may have on push-processing B&W films. I welcome any insight. I know there is a bunch of general information on WWW, but would value the benefit of any experience from this fine group.

Best,

Wayne

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  I wish your family a wonderful and joyous occasion!!  Raise a glass for me and enjoy every moment!!

• Like 1

Best,

Wayne

Congratulations, this must indeed be an exciting moment for you.

My first recommendation would be to leave the photo stuff to others and enjoy the moment ... if you know what I mean.

My second recommendation would be not to push film if you can avoid it. There are enough excellent 400 ASA films, Kodak TMax comes to mind if you want fine grain, so why torture poor Across, except - of course if you are well acquainted with a particular effect that you want to achieve - but then your question means you may not. So for this important unrepeatable moment you may want to stick to processes that you already know well...

Best regards and wishing you and your loved ones a very nice day filled with wonderful light!

Christoph

• Like 1

Very cool Adam. How did you expose this shot?

Out of curiosity I once tried stacking my 2x extender, my 1.4x shift converter (unshifted) and my 350mm Tele-Tessar but that became difficult to focus as the viewfinder darkened quite a bit. It became an effective focal length of 980mm though. I'll have to try it again on brighter subjects.

One of my dream lenses would be one of the two Tele-Superachromats, either the 350 CFE or 300 FE (with the 1.7x APO converter). I'll just have to take out a second mortgage first.

This is from a sunrise from atop of one of the hills of Jerusalem with a very long focal length using the 250mm superachromat and 2X Mutar tele-converter.

Ektar

attachicon.gifsunrise Jerusalem.jpg

Terrific series Ian, esp the lovely portrait of your daughter and the butterfly. Incidentally I also use my iPhone as a companion to my film cameras, usually with the excellent Hipstamatic app.

I quite like the iPhone photo too (I increasingly find my iPhone a good companion camera to my film bodies and, depending upon the context and intended purposes, sometimes the more suitable camera :ph34r: ).

Some more from Cumbria in the summer. All Portra 400 and, with one obvious exception, 28 Summaron-M.

This is from the Newbiggin-on-Lune end of the Smardale Gill nature reserve, a disused railway line from former times. Being a former railway line, the reserve is unsurprisingly quite linear in shape but is a wonderful place.

37797380431_9ecaa20110_b.jpg

37807950991_c6d4055493_b.jpg

37807952321_f893d70c15_b.jpg

The Scotch Argus (Erebia aethiops), a very charming butterfly which my daughter and I had gone here to see (it is quite common in parts of Scotland but only flies in two places in England – both in Cumbria). I missed the focus on most of the butterfly in this photo. A few years ago, shooting digital, I would likely have deleted the file, but one of the joys of using film again as the primary medium is that it has helped me step back from a concern with the technicalities, and start to enjoy photos purely for what they mean to me (how they capture a feeling, support memories, etc.). 
23954937888_3d06e010a9_b.jpg

• Like 2

This is lovely, congratulations Wayne. Looking forward to any results you wish to share. 

br

Philip

Best,

Wayne