I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last Daisy this year.

The whole thing turned out to be "Bokeh" (Sp? I am confused on the spelling.) But I like the result.

37062619334_c7e9ae1cd2_b.jpgimg048 by W P_, on Flickr

Kiev 30 Subminiature Camera, Svema 65 16mm film (Expired 1981), Rodinal 1/100, stand developed. I think film and camera are of same vintage......Soviet Power.

The image has a submerged unreal quality to it. I like it.

Rgds,

C.

• Like 2

I feel I need to say how disappointed I am at the rudeness of a comment directed towards Henry a couple of pages back, and of the rather sheepish +1 and +2 of a couple of members whom I otherwise greatly respect here.

Henry's response indicated that he found the initial comment hurtful, and I wonder why anyone would set out to do that. We all, I'm sure, know Henry's thoughts on matters of film and digital, and I'd thought that we all accepted it as part of the rich pageant that is obviously the man, and that is just another quirky part of this thread. A very rare internet thread, I'd add, in that everyone here seems - or is that seemed? - to get on well and be supportive of each other no matter what our individual differences or opinions.

To me, and I think to the majority of us here, Henry is first and foremost a gentleman of the highest caliber, and he is immensely passionate about his love of film - it is why he started this thread in the first place. He's never hidden his views, and I think that we've accepted his stance in good grace. He is also the most supportive member of any forum I think I've read - always a positive, uplifting comment about pretty much every photograph posted here. His is a messianic passion for film, and that does not hurt anyone here - in fact I, and I think others, find it quite charming, and part of the charm of this immense thread.

If you happen to find his comments about digital "a yawn", perhaps you could be so polite as to let him know in terms that are not so offensive. Or alternatively you could just bugger off.

I hope that apologies to Henry will be forthcoming.

I've been travelling the last few days and did miss this incident at the time. So first and foremost I'd like to thank you Phil for standing up for Henry, and for the values that I perceive should be strived for in this thread. Apart from a few esoteric and rather quick looks into other sections of the Forum, this is the thread to be (for me), and one that indeed has overwhelmingly been positive in attitude, interesting in content, and supporting if a question arises. And I am thankful to Henry - not only as the originator of this thread - but also for his unerring support and enthusiasm.

Perhaps the "incident" is a reminder of the traps of communication via forums like this. It is easy to write on an impulse, and on the click of a button the result can be seen by everyone. But if care is not taken the result can be perceived unthoughtful at best, and insulting at worst. And a missing :) can make all the difference between irony and insult.

Things that are said can be perceived very differently when this is done in person, or from the anonymity of the place behind a computer screen.

I for one look forward to many more comments and pictures from Henry,

Rgds

C.

• Like 11

Oh, and while we are at it, I just finished a quite interesting book that, on a philosophical level explores the history and nature of photography including - amongst others - the differences between digital and analogue. So for anyone interested in broadening his or here knowledge on this topic I recommend to read:

Joan Fontcuberta, "Pandora's Camera"

Rgds

C.

• Like 3

Well said stray cat and cristophe_d

This is one of the only threads I will actively contribute to as most of the people here come across as positive.  Too much time spent wasted arguing with people on the internet due to their opinions. 

I too missed the comment above, I tend to look at the pretty pictures, rather than the confusing words.

• Like 6

From a recent experiment (I dedicate every last smudge on this picture to motion picture film users  :huh: ).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M6ttl, 50, V3 250D, ns

Rgds

C.

• Like 19

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now a photo from a project I'm working on fixing. An old 1900s camera inherited from my grandfather.

33504548250_8947310815_b.jpgLight Leak 3 by Greg.May, on Flickr

Greg - thank you firstly for your refreshing and welcome views above. As for this picture - I absolutely love it! These are the sort of imperfections that Christoph alluded to (above) and that we all (I think) love about film - well, it's one thing we love about it, and there are many other things. But this has imperfections writ large, and it becomes way more than the sum of its parts. It puts me in mind of some of the brilliant work Wayne has been producing recently exploring the possibilities of sub-miniature cameras and wacky soviet cameras. The medium effectively becomes the message - because despite what the subject is in front of the camera, we are confronted first and foremost with a piece of art that speaks to the history of photography, of strange processes and of the ravages and beauty that the passing of time imbus on these superb tools that are still available to us to use. And it speaks (to me at least) of ageing, mortality and decay - and the beauty that is part of that process.

Don't fix that camera too well!

• Like 6

Terrific shot, Phil. I love abstracts like this.

Thanks so much once more Adam for your thoughtful observation.

Your finely observed marina pictures make me wonder how brilliant it would be to just sail (or motor, at least until the breeze picks up) away on a sunny morning in one of those sensational craft. This one (above) also reminds me of an abstract I took a few years ago on my favourite, now dearly departed, transparency film:

p298159727-5.jpg

masts abstract, 2012

canon F1N, FD 300mm f4, Kodak E100VS

I prefer the first one, Mike. My immediate thought seeing it was that it only needed correction of the highlights as there rest, including colour, looks great. I realise it was shot on slide film but sometimes there is a tiny bit of latitude left in very bright highlights. There are many ways to do that but the easiest is probably to open the file in Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom and dial down the Highlights slider. A more cumbersome way is to make two scans and add them together in Photoshop and selectively adjust the highlights. A third option is the multi-RAW processing that Harold Davis describes here which is similar. Just thought I'd offer that and hope you find it useful. It's a very nice image regardless, and of a place I hope to visit some day.

br

Philip

After a discussion with Adam last night about this photo I decided to rescan and try to improve it: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-2075?do=findComment&comment=3378118

This is the result, Fuji Provia 100, Epson V600, no post processing at all. I'm not entirely happy with the scan, the colours are too muted, but I much prefer the look of the highlights.

attachicon.gifSheet065_002_2.jpg

• Like 2

From a recent experiment (I dedicate every last smudge on this picture to motion picture film users  :huh: ).

attachicon.gif170927_1_M6ttl_0001.jpg

M6ttl, 50, V3 250D, ns

Rgds

C.

Christoph, thank you also for your supportive and considered comments above, too - and thank you to all those - plasticman, gary, chrism, michael, edward, suede and everyone else - who have supported Henry and I'm sure I speak for all of us in hoping that he'll rejoin us soon.

And I'd like to say what a superb piece of art your picture (above) is. Again, as I commented with Greg's picture, yours is a photograph that speaks to a process - in this case it is redolent of the cinema and evocative cinematography - the colours and bokeh are just glorious - like a still from the "golden age" (whenever that is or was). Highly emotive and atmospheric.

• Like 6

attachicon.gif170927_1_M6ttl_0001.jpg

M6ttl, 50, V3 250D, ns

Rgds

C.

Christoph, thank you also for your supportive and considered comments above, too - and thank you to all those - plasticman, gary, chrism, michael, edward, suede and everyone else - who have supported Henry and I'm sure I speak for all of us in hoping that he'll rejoin us soon.

And I'd like to say what a superb piece of art your picture (above) is. Again, as I commented with Greg's picture, yours is a photograph that speaks to a process - in this case it is redolent of the cinema and evocative cinematography - the colours and bokeh are just glorious - like a still from the "golden age" (whenever that is or was). Highly emotive and atmospheric.

I can only second both aspects, one being the support for the founder and passionate film user, Henry; second being the quality of the Picture of those candles, which seem to alight a church. Cinematic was indeed the first thing that came to my mind.

• Like 3

Adam, that is just wonderful! Another extremely cinematic picture. Absolutely brilliant.

Thanks, Phil.  This was my attempt at trying to get a large ball of sun with the super-compressed view.  Not quite as large as I was hoping, but still nice I guess.

• Like 1

This is from a sunrise from atop of one of the hills of Jerusalem with a very long focal length using the 250mm superachromat and 2X Mutar tele-converter.

Ektar

attachicon.gifsunrise Jerusalem.jpg

Love the picture, great layering, fabulous!

I'm wondering if this could be done as well using digital - even if it could it wouldn't be half as much fun; half the fun is the process, the waiting, the smell and a permanent record unlike digital.

• Like 1

Love the picture, great layering, fabulous!

I'm wondering if this could be done as well using digital - even if it could it wouldn't be half as much fun; half the fun is the process, the waiting, the smell and a permanent record unlike digital.

Thanks, Steve :)

I am sure a good digital camera could have made something of this scene.

Having said this, this is how my iphone 6 fared :(

Edited by A miller
  • Like 3

I quite like the iPhone photo too (I increasingly find my iPhone a good companion camera to my film bodies and, depending upon the context and intended purposes, sometimes the more suitable camera :ph34r: ).

Some more from Cumbria in the summer. All Portra 400 and, with one obvious exception, 28 Summaron-M.

This is from the Newbiggin-on-Lune end of the Smardale Gill nature reserve, a disused railway line from former times. Being a former railway line, the reserve is unsurprisingly quite linear in shape but is a wonderful place.

37797380431_9ecaa20110_b.jpg

37807950991_c6d4055493_b.jpg

37807952321_f893d70c15_b.jpg

The Scotch Argus (Erebia aethiops), a very charming butterfly which my daughter and I had gone here to see (it is quite common in parts of Scotland but only flies in two places in England – both in Cumbria). I missed the focus on most of the butterfly in this photo. A few years ago, shooting digital, I would likely have deleted the file, but one of the joys of using film again as the primary medium is that it has helped me step back from a concern with the technicalities, and start to enjoy photos purely for what they mean to me (how they capture a feeling, support memories, etc.). 
23954937888_3d06e010a9_b.jpg
  • Like 14

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

This is from a sunrise from atop of one of the hills of Jerusalem with a very long focal length using the 250mm superachromat and 2X Mutar tele-converter.

Ektar

attachicon.gifsunrise Jerusalem.jpg

Fantastic Adam

I took this one in Ragistan with my 250 Super Combat.......I think I still have some rolls of 120 Ektar at home, I will go out and shoot some sun set with it when I get home

• Like 17