I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am greatly enjoying all these wonderful film images which obviously require digitization to be posted. I have had excellent results scanning MF chromes - mostly Ektachrome, first with a Nikon 9000 and now with a Scitex Eversmart Pro flatbed. I have never tried my hand at scanning negative film or B&W. But I want to give it a go. I have keenly examined the film used in the images presented and truly have not been able to discern which of them seem to be more amenable to scanning. Though I have to say that the Tri-X images are particularly impressive. Perhaps some of you who have scanned various negative films would share which of them scan particularly well.

Obliged,

David

• Like 3

I am greatly enjoying all these wonderful film images which obviously require digitization to be posted. I have had excellent results scanning MF chromes - mostly Ektachrome, first with a Nikon 9000 and now with a Scitex Eversmart Pro flatbed. I have never tried my hand at scanning negative film or B&W. But I want to give it a go. I have keenly examined the film used in the images presented and truly have not been able to discern which of them seem to be more amenable to scanning. Though I have to say that the Tri-X images are particularly impressive. Perhaps some of you who have scanned various negative films would share which of them scan particularly well.

Obliged,

David

Hi David,

Perhaps you could approach it from a slightly different angle. Find the B&W films that appeal most to you, then set about learning to scan them for the best results. I personally like certain films for certain innate characteristics that appeal to ME - I'm sure we all do, and the wonderful world of film gives us such an incredible array to choose from. The great thing about digitizing via scanning is that those innate characteristics tend to come through in the scan - I'm sure you found that also when you scanned colour, and I think you'll find it at least equally so with B&W films.

Failing that, Ilford XP2 Super is a wonderful film - see Chris' and others' work in this thread - that has the scanning benefit (if you are using appropriate software such as Vuescan) that you can use the infrared cleaning function - something you cannot use with non-chromogenic B&W emulsions.

Please post the results of your journey here, I'm sure they will only enhance this thread.

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello David,

In my experience all film scans well. The starting point for any good scan is a well exposed and well developed film. 

I'd be interested in seeing results of the Scitex. 

br

Philip

Obliged,

David

• Like 2

@Gary - did you get any feedback on your misprocessed roll from the lab in the end?

Not a squeak Cooge mate, nothing, the silence is deafening.

Nothing we can do, I'll give them a few days more, then remind the.

Gary

That’s really disappointing to hear. Mistakes happen but how they get handled...
  • Like 1

Hi David,Phil and Philip, scan with one scanner is a less "bad" way to have possibility to post here....and if you can , with no correction with any software , specially for color because you can distort the original color aspect....the "best" way is print no digitalization..Best Henry. (sent from my iPhone) David some pictures scan with your Scitex?I don't know this brand

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

That’s really disappointing to hear. Mistakes happen but how they get handled...

@Gary - did you get any feedback on your misprocessed roll from the lab in the end?

Not a squeak Cooge mate, nothing, the silence is deafening.

Nothing we can do, I'll give them a few days more, then remind the.

Gary

Gary dev yourself like Richard Henry Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1