I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Simply fantastic, Phil.  I love her expression, which can be interpreted in many different ways, the airy feel with all of the bright highlights and the strong contrast that doesn't in any way take away from the important details, such as the fully peeled watermelon (?) and cash in hand (was that her compensation for the photo? :) )

I met and started talking with this lovely person when I stopped and bought a cup of her delicious spicy fruit mix for my lunch. She needed some convincing to allow me to take her portrait, but she was very gracious:

Agoura Hills, California 2016

M6TTL, 28mm Elmarit, Tri-X, K2

Thanks, Henry.  I think you are right :)

Very nice green color Adam
I think it's Equisetum sp on your picture it looks like a bamboo

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr%C3%AAle_des_champs

We have also in France but smaller

Thanks for posting

Best

Henry

Ha ha, that's a good one.  It is food for thought!

It would make a fabulous jigsaw puzzle. It took me ages to see the Star of David, I have yet to fins the crescent.

Really interesting "ordinary life" perspectives, Edward.  I especially like the last with the lady sitting and staring at her food.  What is she thinking?! :)

Very nice composition on this one, Chris.  And interesting color palette, too.

Still on the Cabot Trail:

37530512606_c996b1a02a_c.jpg

Cabot Trail 5 by chrism229, on Flickr

Cabot Trail 6 by chrism229, on Flickr

C.

• Like 3

Here's another dried up flower with Velvia 50, using the 16mm extension tube and 80mm planar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

And so I decided to go back to black and white for a while. I like color printing but it's certainly a different process than B&W and not as immediate for me.

If they could figure out a way to print color in trays with a darkroom red like I'd be in heaven. :)

#1: My wife in the car clowning for the camera.

#2: Me, in a tiger head at WalMart.

Both were taken with my Oly Trip 35 and Eastman Double-X. Dev'd in D-96 (a bit too long) and printed on Ilford MGIV Pearl Paper. Scanned on my Epson V600 or whatever it is.

36896538453_0cf9ce5407_c.jpg37518077386_6671df2610_c.jpg

• Like 14

And so I decided to go back to black and white for a while. I like color printing but it's certainly a different process than B&W and not as immediate for me.

If they could figure out a way to print color in trays with a darkroom red like I'd be in heaven. :)

I have used the color print process (called RA-4) for some time but pretty much gave up on doing it. Best way I found it works without vesting into a complex Jobo roller color development system is simply getting a used roller cartridge on ebay for a few bucks, adding the exposed color development paper within this cartridge in the darkroom, and then doing the rest of development under regular light by adding the chemicals into the cartridge and rolling it manually. Main debits of the RA-4 process are:

- Preparation of the paper before and after exposure needs to be done in the pitch dark in the darkroom (no red light can be used!)

- Developer is sensitive to air and can oxidize quickly - pre-fill into smaller glass bottles to the top and close the bottle well. Use one up for each development process.

- Even then the developer only lasts as solution for less than 8 months before visible decomposition and precipitation sets in.

- Several prints of the negative are needed to get the colors right - this is the most tedious and time consuming

- I didn't find a severe visible difference between RA-4 based color prints and inkjet prints deriving from the scanned and digitized color negative. 

It's a good learning experience but not very feasible from a practical point of view these days. 

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Really interesting "ordinary life" perspectives, Edward. I especially like the last with the lady sitting and staring at her food. What is she thinking?! :)

Thank you very much Adam. I think she's just camera shy. When she noticed me taking her picture, she turned her face away.

• Like 1

I have used the color print process (called RA-4) for some time but pretty much gave up on doing it. Best way I found it works without vesting into a complex Jobo roller color development system is simply getting a used roller cartridge on ebay for a few bucks, adding the exposed color development paper within this cartridge in the darkroom, and then doing the rest of development under regular light by adding the chemicals into the cartridge and rolling it manually. Main debits or the RA-4 process are:

- Preparation of the paper before and after exposure needs to be done in the pitch dark in the darkroom (no red light can be used!)

- Developer is sensitive to air and can oxidize quickly - pre-fill into smaller glass bottles to the top and close the bottle well. Use one up for each development process.

- Even then the developer only lasts as solution for less than 8 months before visible decomposition and precipitation sets in.

- Several prints of the negative are needed to get the colors right - this is the most tedious and time consuming

- I didn't find a severe visible difference between RA-4 based color prints and inkjet prints deriving from the scanned and digitized color negative. 

It's a good learning experience but not very feasible from a practical point of view these days. 

Actually, that's how I print, with Jobo drums on a unicolor base!

It's pretty easy; I use a color analyser which gets rid of the need for color-test strips. I generally only do one strip for exposure. When I shoot a roll of film, the first shot is an ExpoDisc reference shot of the sun (if I'm outside) or whatever the light source is. That way I have a perfect color reference. The machine is zero'd to make the reference shot a neutral grey.

• Like 2

Actually, that's how I print, with Jobo drums on a unicolor base!

It's pretty easy; I use a color analyser which gets rid of the need for color-test strips. I generally only do one strip for exposure. When I shoot a roll of film, the first shot is an ExpoDisc reference shot of the sun (if I'm outside) or whatever the light source is. That way I have a perfect color reference. The machine is zero'd to make the reference shot a neutral grey.

Understood, probably the best way to do it proficiently - but I honestly did not want into vest into a color analyzer and into Jobo drum processing device. I shoot color film sporadically and nearly all my darkroom printing is focusing on B&W silver gelatin printing since I can see a clear difference to B&W inkjet prints. For the bit of color film shooting I do, I rather digitize the negatives anyway first and then use my inkjet printer instead (hybrid process). 

Understood, probably the best way to do it proficiently - but I honestly did not want into vest into a color analyzer and into Jobo drum processing device. I shoot color film sporadically and nearly all my darkroom printing is focusing on B&W silver gelatin printing since I can see a clear difference to B&W inkjet prints. For the bit of color film shooting I do, I rather digitize the negatives anyway first and then use my inkjet printer instead (hybrid process). 

Yeah...that's cool. I just really did it to see if I could and what it looked like. (and to save money getting prints done.)

Have a good day!

• Like 1

m6 1.4/35pre fp4+

Joachim

• Like 14

Still on the Cabot Trail:

37530512606_c996b1a02a_c.jpg

Cabot Trail 5 by chrism229, on Flickr

37530530106_291dc6401d_c.jpg

Cabot Trail 6 by chrism229, on Flickr

C.

These landscapes are fantastic, with the clouds in the first pic being the icing on the cake!

Here I show you a typical example of the redbrick gothic used for many churches in the northern parts of Germany:

M3 - Cron 50 DR - Kodak 200

• Like 15

Anyone seen Forrest lately?

M3 - Cron 50 DR - Kodak 200

• Like 18

Tidal structures:

Minilux - Kodak 200

• Like 19

Simply fantastic, Phil.  I love her expression, which can be interpreted in many different ways, the airy feel with all of the bright highlights and the strong contrast that doesn't in any way take away from the important details, such as the fully peeled watermelon (?) and cash in hand (was that her compensation for the photo? :) )

Thanks a lot Adam. No photo compensation - the money in her hand was $6 very well spent for the refreshing cup of fruit sitting next to her on the bench there.

• Like 1

Some 16mm extension tube fun with a scorched flower...

Velvia 50

Hassey 503cw, 80mm Planar

• Like 9