I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don’t think the problem lies in Germany. Nor with special editions. CS is semi-autonomous

Here are some recent shots, Ilford XP2, Leica M4-2 canon serenar 50mm f1.537429159720_91605d2250_b.jpg37429159450_4ffd478298_b.jpg37016176173_c8efc3ea03_b.jpg37429158890_1d83a822e6_c.jpg 37429158460_1d3244d6da_c.jpg

Just wonderful"decisive" captures. I confess that the last one had me a bit perplexed, as it seemed to me that something was missing. That is until I spied the camouflaged beauty in the window. It is fascinating to see an image, and then return to it only to find an element first missed which thoroughly changes its emotional impact. Perfect.

Respect.

David

Edited by Deliberate1
  • Like 4

Thank you gentlemen for your advices :)

So cameras specially digital can give you the color what they want ... and certain of you will say : "well , what beautiful color  "

yes nice but is it correct and faithful ? that's the great question you must ask yourself ....

color is color and it's better it's near natural ..... :)

Best

Henry

Wise words.

• Like 1

One boatman, two passengers, three and a half hours from Jerantut to Kuala Tahan up the Tembeling River (Pahang, Malaysia), not a single word uttered. This was in February, before the rainy season and the river was low. At times he was virtually ploughing through the sandy bed of the river and the boat shuddered disconcertingly. 

Plenty of grain...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M6, Ilford HP5, 28mm.

• Like 14

Portra 400 converted to B&W:

Pippa 2017 #15 by chrism229, on Flickr

C.

Chris lovely portrait .... but why you don't keep color ?

I am not a fan of conversion color to b&w ...

Thank you for sharing

Henry

I just finish development of 3 rolls of Portra and Cinestill same time development ... but

Cinestill 50 looks strange for me ... completely opaque,something missing ? Portra is fine

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One boatman, two passengers, three and a half hours from Jerantut to Kuala Tahan up the Tembeling River (Pahang, Malaysia), not a single word uttered. This was in February, before the rainy season and the river was low. At times he was virtually ploughing through the sandy bed of the river and the boat shuddered disconcertingly. 

Plenty of grain...

attachicon.gifBoatman.jpg

M6, Ilford HP5, 28mm.

Suede you're a lucky man alone on the boat :)

Nice black picture

Best

Henry

• Like 1

Looking for late summer butterflies. Devil's Dyke near Newmarket. XP2 (I think) and 28 Summaron-M.

37439019770_01ab282664_b.jpg

Ian incredible with backlight the face of your girl is still visible with all details

A great picture in contre-jour.... :)

So Ian you're back to your b&w :)

Glad see you back

Thanks for sharing

Henry

• Like 2

Chris lovely portrait .... but why you don't keep color ?

I am not a fan of conversion color to b&w ...

I know you don't approve, Henry, but it seemed to me that the colour distracted from the picture. You can judge for yourself:

Pippa%202017%20%2315.jpg

37642802966_73cbe6c6f9_c.jpg

• Like 9

Sincere thanks, Phil.  :)

Great shot of a city awakening - with your description, the atmosphere is palpable. And Ektar, good old Ektar - spotted it straight away. There seems to be some magic with you, that film and that 250mm lens especially (oh, and and the SWC).

Thanks for the comments, Wayne.  Your memory of olives is so random yet so poignant of the cultural differences.  And it brings back memories that I have from 23+ years ago when I made my first visit to Jerusalem as a young adult and also remember being served small green cracked olives in a pub on Friday night.  I remember vividly that I was drinking Carlsberg in a bottle.  After my beautiful experience in that pub in the Russian Compound I proceeded to make my way with the group of friends that I was with to the center of the city in Jerusalem on Ben Yehuda Street.  It was there that saw my wife for the first time.  I didn't even see the front of her face; just her exotically striking profile.  Thanks to Mr. Carlsberg, I had the guts to walk up to her and strike up a conversation, which was very hard given that my Hebrew was extremely elementary as was her English.  The rest is history!  :wub:

I would have also passed on the photo on the Sabbath.  In some ultra-religious neighborhoods in Jerusalem, they throw chairs at passing cars on the Sabbath  :o

this is a spectacular photograph. My ship pulled into Haifa in the 80s and I, of course, went to Jerusalem....with my Olympus XA. My most vivid memory of the visit came as a result of an attempt I made to snap a photograph of a Hasidic pair (father and son) on the Sabath. The old man scolded me, and then the son- knowing the US Navy was in port and recognizing me as a likely crew member- scolded the old man. I passed on the photograph. I will never forget it. I treasure it and think about it every time I see one of your photos from Jerusalem. I was overlooking the wailing wall at the time of my episode. The father scolded me in Hebrew. The son scolded the father in English.

Also, I remember they gave us bowls of olives, instead of peanuts, with our beer. To this day I prefer to munch on olives while drinking beer....if I have the option.

Thanks for the shots.

Very interesting results from the Ektar, Chris.  I love the water in the first one.

Cabot Trail 10 by chrism229, on Flickr

Cabot Trail 9 by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris

Many thanks, James!

@Chris: I am really enjoying your Cabot trail series - wonderful impressions and colors!

@Adam: Love your last picture of Jerusalem for the earthy tones and the calm the picture depicts.

Here a rather classic view of the Eiffel Tower from Trocadero:

attachicon.gifBild-1-86.jpg

Minilux - Agfa CT 100 Precisa

Beautiful majestic view, James.  

And here the look back from the second floor of the tower:

attachicon.gifBild-1-92.jpg

Wow, sublime colors, Phil!

This is one more picture from my family's tour of Australia in 2002:

South-West Rocks, NSW 2002

Nikon F90X, Nikkor AF 20-35mm f2.8, Agfa RSX 100

Very interesting results, thanks for sharing!

Shot my first roll of Ferrania P30. I rated it at box speed, 80. I did not process it myself, had a lab do it. So I don't know the developing details. Based on the results I'm going to expose my next roll at 50. 

These negs were a little thin and very contrasty. However I do like how sharp this film is and the grain is really nice and fine.

Ferrania p30 B&W film by Steven Jauch, on Flickr

Beyond lovely, Gary.  You really need to get that Hassy back :)

An oldie of our two littlies, many years ago.

500C/M

80 Planar

Fuji RDP.

Epson 4870

Gary

• Like 3

Fyi, so I now have scoured the earth for Adox Color Implosion and have amassed over 40 rolls.  I now have until 2019 to turn back the clock - or share the rolls with friends - or both  ;)

Interestingly, I sourced 19 rolls from an Ebayer in Australia...  :) 

• Like 3

Here's another long tele-photo view of the Old City of Jerusalem.  This time with the 2x Mutar tele-converter attached to my 250mm Superachromat, which effectively made the FL 500mm.  

The hot summer days produce haze, and I thought that a UV/Haze filter and Velvia 50 would be a reasonable way to try to cut through it as best as I could.

For those interested, the long dark ramp inside the walls of the Old City (in the middle of the photo off to the left) is the location of the Western Wall (Kotel).

Hassy 503CW

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 16