I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Brighton beach and Promenade. Leica M6 and i think Portra400. Quality is not great but I like the atmosphere. Tony.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

Leica M7-Apo Summicron 90 Asph-Kodak Portra 160 *

Tripod

attachicon.gifImage1apo90m7lfht++++-950.jpg

Best

H.

*For Christopher Tetenal 30°C

Henry here is my favourite Portra 160 image. It's taken with the M6 TTL and CZ Sonnar 50/1.5 at f1.5 last year.34267b22d88da8dafa40153ca70e1d58.jpg

Kind regards

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 12

So it's been a long while since I've developed some film. I am not happy with my recent results. I have (long) expired Tri-X developed in probably slighty oldish D76 (more than a month, but bottle still full). I can't remember if I exposed the film at 200 or 400 (probably 400). But This is just too grainy for my tastes. Perhaps digital has spoiled me. The last time I developed Tri-X many years ago, I accidentally did it in T-Max dev thinking it was D76 (using those times) and it came out fantastic.

This is a slight crop btw:

MarshMarigold2.jpg

So is it possible the film is too old? the developer too old? Too much agitation? (I think I did every 30 seconds as per instructions).

Here is a scan from the Tri-X developed in T-Max many years ago. I would much prefer results like this:

soccer_fans-b.jpg

Edited by gnuyork
  • Like 7

Thanks Henry for your welcome. Yes I develop using C41 Tetenal myself in the kitchen using a small water bath at 30C for good control. The films dry over our bath on a temporary line using suction caps, I am fortunate to have a tolerant wife! I've been shooting film again for the last 2 years.

In the shots posted I used M3 for the colour shot, but I was using 3 lenses that day, the Summarit 50/1.5, Tele- Elmarit 90/2.8 and 135/3.4 APO-TELYT. I think the colour shot was the Summarit at f22 at about 1/500. Deliberately under exposed. The second of my daughter may have been with the Summarit-M 35/2.4 on the M6 TTL . The little family by the stream was taken with the M6 TTL.

I also love another shot in colour that day taken with the APO-TELYT but it is completely self indulgent and I often get asked why I shot it, but I loved the colours. I'll attach it now if I can.3d6629313cd6a2ccfa7441bd6a9e3a53.jpg

Best wishes

Christopher

Love the colours,

Rgds,

Christoph

• Like 4

Sincerely, thank you so much Charles. These pictures bring back wonderful memories for me and indeed are sufficient reminders of just one of the reasons we love this thing called "photography" - because it was photography that got me to mexico and into that situation in the first place.

If you are at all interested, I actually wrote a short piece for Leicaphilia on my experience: http://leicaphilia.com/meeting-mary-ellen/

Philip, What a lovely posting on Leicaphilia, thanks for sharing your insights, for there is much inspiration and lessons to learn from your account and indeed such are the reasons we love this pursuit. Treasure your memories Mary Ellen.

Sincerely

Charles

• Like 3

Henry here is my favourite Portra 160 image. It's taken with the M6 TTL and CZ Sonnar 50/1.5 at f1.5 last year.34267b22d88da8dafa40153ca70e1d58.jpg

Kind regards

Chris

Chris this a wonderful picture , lovely portrait with superb color

Really nice.Portra 160 is one of my favorite film may be "the" best

Thanks for sharing and for your poppies comment :)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

So it's been a long while since I've developed some film. I am not happy with my recent results. I have (long) expired Tri-X developed in probably slighty oldish D76 (more than a month, but bottle still full). I can't remember if I exposed the film at 200 or 400 (probably 400). But This is just too grainy for my tastes. Perhaps digital has spoiled me. The last time I developed Tri-X many years ago, I accidentally did it in T-Max dev thinking it was D76 (using those times) and it came out fantastic.

This is a slight crop btw:

MarshMarigold2.jpg

So is it possible the film is too old? the developer too old? Too much agitation? (I think I did every 30 seconds as per instructions).

Here is a scan from the Tri-X developed in T-Max many years ago. I would much prefer results like this:

soccer_fans-b.jpg

Hi GNU

Glad see you back with these two nice pictures.It's a long time now I don't use my 2 digit cameras

but It seems still good specially the second picture ! The grain is fine and pleasant to watch.

Happy New Year to you and family

Best

H.

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

This a wonderful picture , lovely portrait with superb color

Really nice.Portra 160 is one of my favorite film may be "the" best

Thanks for sharing

Best

Henry

I agree and would use it more if only Wales were less inclement! Unusually we have clear skies today, but it's mostly dull at this time of year and rains frequently. I made a conscious decision this winter to shoot b+w for the first time since school in the late 70's. I have been surprised by the tonal quality of Ilford XP400 Super as it renders skin beautifully. I was not expecting that. At least tomorrow is Friday and I get to escape the office and see some daylight and finish my roll of Kodak BC 400. Thank you for your input to this forum it's inspiring and heartening to know that film is alive and well. All we need now is the manufacturers to realise it too. Thankfully we have people like Bellamy Hunt (aka Japan Camera Hunter) fighting our cause too.

• Like 1

I agree and would use it more if only Wales were less inclement! Unusually we have clear skies today, but it's mostly dull at this time of year and rains frequently. I made a conscious decision this winter to shoot b+w for the first time since school in the late 70's. I have been surprised by the tonal quality of Ilford XP400 Super as it renders skin beautifully. I was not expecting that. At least tomorrow is Friday and I get to escape the office and see some daylight and finish my roll of Kodak BC 400. Thank you for your input to this forum it's inspiring and heartening to know that film is alive and well. All we need now is the manufacturers to realise it too. Thankfully we have people like Bellamy Hunt (aka Japan Camera Hunter) fighting our cause too.

Ilford won't let us down and Ferrania should be up and running soon and I will hopefully have my limited edition for backing them, I buy film by the 100 foot, HP5 and a German film called Orwo also have 300 feet of Double X

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Edited by gsgary
  • Like 2

Ilford won't let us down and Ferrania should be up and running soon and I will hopefully have my limited edition for backing them

Limited Edition - sounds exciting! I hope you're right, I hear that Fuji have recently discontinued their multiple film packs increasing the cost again of pursuing our visionary representations of the environment around us.

• Like 1

Limited Edition - sounds exciting! I hope you're right, I hear that Fuji have recently discontinued their multiple film packs increasing the cost again of pursuing our visionary representations of the environment around us.

http://www.filmferrania.it/

• Like 2