I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks David. I believe it is indeed some form of electricity cable. I think I shot this near a construction site and there were various cables hanging between poles, probably providing electricity to the machinery used. 

But can you please explain the line across the image.  Sorry to be ignorant.

Thanks..

Love the results in Rodinal Keith. I really like these deep velvety ink-like blacks.

Perfectly possible!   ;)  Rolleicord Vb, XP2, Rodinal.

6815785634_cc0c5d3cf1_o.jpg

This one and no. II are really wonderful. I miss snow.

Wintertime

16086283213_6ecf188e64_b.jpg

Pentax 67 II * Pentax SMC 2.4/105 * Kodak Tri X * Adox Adonal 1+50 * Reflecta MF 5000

• Like 2

Philip, I love the gentle trusting gaze captured in the emotive photograph. Truly lovely and the associations too that lead to its inception.

Thanks for sharing

Charles 

Sincerely, thank you so much Charles. These pictures bring back wonderful memories for me and indeed are sufficient reminders of just one of the reasons we love this thing called "photography" - because it was photography that got me to mexico and into that situation in the first place.

If you are at all interested, I actually wrote a short piece for Leicaphilia on my experience: http://leicaphilia.com/meeting-mary-ellen/

• Like 1

Wintertime II

16084564414_17edf249ea_b.jpg

Pentax 67 II * Pentax SMC 2.4/105 * Fuji Velvia * Reflecta MF 5000 * LR. 5.x * Nik SEP2 

There is something magical in wintertime shots like the ones you've posted, s/w. And I note you've used one of the few lenses I regard as legendary for this one (never used one, but it has a look that no other lens seems to get, especially in the out-of-focus areas).

• Like 1

Because the M-A is based on the M6/MP, and those have a protrusion on the bottom inside the bajonet mount that interferes with the second cam of the DR, so it cannot be mounted. I suspect that the protrusion covers the sensors for the Light meter. As the M-A does not have a meter ...

Rgds

C.

Actually, the DR Summicron in its original state can be used on the M6, both in normal and close-up ranges.  It's on the M9, and presumably the M240, that the cam needs to be filed down to be useable. After the cam is filed down the close-up range is not usable on any M-camera, film or digital.

Edited by Guest

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear film lovers and Leica M3 & M6 TTL Users, I just love this Thread. Best wishes for the New Year from a user in South Wales, UK. I am not sure that my shots using Kodak Portra 400 and Ilford XP2 are up to your impeccable standards but I'd like to make a small contribution. I too stick with2710c5ad9ad7fb02cf71b7dde45d367d.jpg916d33f238eb536136a24f841e2f25dc.jpg27f8d31c9ec8e49607560ba7b699de4b.jpg Tetenal C41 processing and scan with a Plustek 8200i.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 15

I will venture an opinion on film's ability to render 'more' detail in shadows and highlights, than digital capture.

Certainly film can capture it, but, in my experience and observation, it can only be fully exploited when scanned and converted to a digital file for further reproduction. Darkroom printing of a filmic image can be surpassed by desktop printing of the same negative, in expert hands of course and with quality equipment. The fact that printing papers have such a limited tonal range, IMO actually enhances the look of analog prints. But they don't match digital printing for the ability to reproduce a wide range of tones.

Frankly I use and enjoy both, although my darkroom days are shrinking, mainly because of the necessary wastage of materials to perfect the final print and the time involved. Also, age is catching up on me although I hate to admit it.

Good point. A somewhat related point: There have been a good number of Portra 400 shots here, including mine, that show a wide range of color rendition. This is all done with a hybrid workflow, the color correction and processing being done digitally. Of course color negative film, when printing in the dark room, requires color correction and contrast control. While different films have different color looks, doing this processing digitally, it seems to me, facilitates a greater range of color rendition. For example, some of the Portra 400 shots above are somewhat reminiscent of Kodachrome. 

The color negative prints one used to have done "at the drugstore" were based on an average color correction and it would take a "custom print" to get the look one really wanted. When I last shot color film some ten years ago, I stuck to transparency film because I felt that I didn't have a good "color memory" for scannning; but also because earlier, when I had done color darkroom printing, I used Cibachrome — I liked the colors —which is printed from slide film. Now, I have no problem using color negative print because color correction is so much easier digitally than using color filters in the darkroom, at least for me.

Actually, the DR Summicron in its original state can be used on the M6, both in normal and close-up ranges.  It's on the M9, and presumably the M240, that the cam needs to be filed down to be useable. After the cam is filed down the close-up range is not usable on any M-camera, film or digital.

The close up range is then usable with live view, no RF coupling anymore below 1m .

Provia 100F W-Nikkor 25 / 4  LTM on R4A Voigtlander

27179368352_eff0a5b207_b.jpg

Ping pong game, City of God, Brazil by JM__, on Flickr

27179368342_2014c66181_b.jpg

Street, City of God, Brazil by JM__, on Flickr

Edited by JMF

This is really lovely, Terrence.

Shapes and shadow in Lisbon

Hasselblad SWC

ilford HP5+

8714368008_e21fd5097a_b.jpg000012830008S by Terence Yam, on Flickr

Christoph - Sorry to keep you in suspense (It has been a long day).  The answer is yes.  :)

Adam,

Just out of curiosity, does the Summicron DR fit on the M-A?

Rgds and thx

C.

Great naturally strong contrast.  Love it!

Wintertime II

16084564414_17edf249ea_b.jpg

Pentax 67 II * Pentax SMC 2.4/105 * Fuji Velvia * Reflecta MF 5000 * LR. 5.x * Nik SEP2 

• Like 3

Dear film lovers and Leica M3 & M6 TTL Users, I just love this Thread. Best wishes for the New Year from a user in South Wales, UK. I am not sure that my shots using Kodak Portra 400 and Ilford XP2 are up to your impeccable standards but I'd like to make a small contribution. I too stick with2710c5ad9ad7fb02cf71b7dde45d367d.jpg916d33f238eb536136a24f841e2f25dc.jpg27f8d31c9ec8e49607560ba7b699de4b.jpg Tetenal C41 processing and scan with a Plustek 8200i.

Wonderful photos and thanks for sharing.  Hope you will share more!

• Like 3

My faithful daily contribution...from the Jerusalem shuk... :)

M-A, 28mm elmarit pre-asph, Portra 400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 10

(That's about $2.20/kilo for beautiful tomatoes...)

Edited by A miller
  • Like 9

A tender moment, with only a loaded rifle separating them.... :)

• Like 10

A few from Medieval Times in Los Angeles.

I wasn't expecting it be quite so dark, with EI400 film and 28mm Summicron I got what I got.

What sorcery is this?

31030200423_75f0754840_b.jpg

The King's man, our guide through 3 courses of difficult dialogue.

31467040050_412ede92e2_b.jpg

The victorious Green Knight favours a wench with a flower.

31692499472_ab9e343381_b.jpg

The resplendent King, as the battle below rages

31467129400_7ca99044b3_b.jpg

• Like 13

Tourists and Photographer at the Preah Khan Temple complex in Angkorwat, Cambodia

Perhaps not the best as far as natural lighting is concerned, but I was pressed for time and had to move on...

Hasselblad, 80mm Planar, Acros, Rodinal, Lab Scan

• Like 6

For Ramesh in the same style you show us

A very strange place on the edge of the Mekong river  I visit during a break

of one of my mission in Laos many years ago....

Buddha under the vigilance of a multi-headed snake.Laos follows a Buddhism of the

"Little Vehicle or Theravada"  or "Doctrine of the Elders"

Fuji Superia 100

Leica R4S- 50 Summicron

attachicon.gifImage5nongkFujisupfecctlfht+++950.jpg

Best

Henry

Lovely image Henry.

It is not uncommon sights - these street side shrines in the South and South East Asian countries.

Yes, the 5 headed snake as the backdrop for the main deity in the shrine is very common in the Hindu (Vishnu temples) and some of the Budhist shrines.

Regards,

Ramesh

• Like 1

Wonderful photos and thanks for sharing. Hope you will share more!

Thanks for the kind words, I'm just trying a roll of Kodak BC400 C41 discontinued film in my M3. Never shot with it before, but in faith I bought 10 just out of date and put them in my freezer. I will post some when they are developed hopefully this weekend :-).

• Like 1