I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

28543352773_1cb12cb081_b.jpg

Buza, Dubrovnik | Flickr

Buza is a bar in Dubrovnik which is perched on a few cliffs outside the city walls towards the water. Today it's unpleasantly full of tourists but 15 years ago when I went the first time it was very different, a bit more like the mood of this photo. Velvia 100 with the 50 Summilux.

Colors are really pure in this.  At this size, at least, I'd think this was digital if I didn't know better.  (I'm sure Henry would be shocked or horrified at that, but I'm not saying it's good or bad ... just observing.)  

I'm normally a 100% b/w man, but getting the urge to shoot some color and given the cost of lab processing these days, I definitely would want to try developing my own.  I should probably start a new thread, but given that plenty of the denizens here develop their own color negs, I'll just ask here: is there any difference in the kits out there?  Any common mistakes with any of them?  Thoughts?

Edited by KevinL
  • Like 3

Great-looking apples Chris. Is HC-110 your preferred developed for XP2? I have a story that's not too dissimilar from what you write about old girlfriends. Those were the days.

I have pretty much settled on using HC-110 for just about everything. XP2 comes out even smoother in Rodinal 1+100 for an hour, but I wanted to do the XP2 and the TMax 100 at once in the same tank, so HC-110 it was. I still keep Diafine around for large format where large volumes of developer are needed and having it reusable (if not inexhaustible!) is a great help.

C.

• Like 3

Thank you Kevin. In my experience, slide film does have some qualities that digital has, especially that highlights easily white out. But even almost completely white highlights can be recovered a little bit, which is different from digital. And transparencies look very clean, like digital, because of the lack of grain (in most cases - under-exposed and pushed images are the main exceptions).

But even though the images are so clean there's a filmic look. I think it's due to a combination of the generally vivid colours, the particular colour reproduction of each brand/type of film and slide film's contrast curve, which is different from digital's. Slide film, to me, feels rich and luscious.

Unfortunately I can't help with your question about developing kits but I'm sure other members can.

Br Philip

Colors are really pure in this. At this size, at least, I'd think this was digital if I didn't know better. (I'm sure Henry would be shocked or horrified at that, but I'm not saying it's good or bad ... just observing.)

• Like 2

Praktica Super TL, Meyer-Goerlitz Oreston 1.8/50, APX 100

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

Pentax K2, 50/1.7, TMax 100, HC-110. X1 scans:

29250470455_ff4360a6a8_c.jpg

Calla Lily Leaves by chrism229, on Flickr

29171706761_e229d1c8c3_c.jpg

The boat that wouldn't float by chrism229, on Flickr

28627287544_77cd4ac47d_c.jpg

Rowan by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris

Looks like a very good lenses, do you have the 85mm f1. 4 that beats most modern Canon and Nikon 85mm

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Praktica Super TL, Meyer-Goerlitz Oreston 1.8/50, APX 100

attachicon.gifSuperTL_April15_31.jpg

Your image, taken with Meyer-Goerlitz Preston on Praktica, makes me wonder why one needs expensive equipment to shoot interesting photographs.

Shot taken with a Zenit-E and a Soligor C/D 28mm f2.8 on Kodak Gold 400 ASA

Paul

• Like 9

Your image, taken with Meyer-Goerlitz Preston on Praktica, makes me wonder why one needs expensive equipment to shoot interesting photographs.

Shot taken with a Zenit-E and a Soligor C/D 28mm f2.8 on Kodak Gold 400 ASA

Paul

You're absolutely right Paul, and this shot shows it perfectly. You need to sell off or give away that gear in your signature, and just use the Zenit :rolleyes: .

Coincidentally, I started out with a (new) Zenit-E, and shortly after bought the Soligor 28 (might have been a 35, not sure) as well as the Soligor 135.

Heady days those 60's/70's.

Gary

• Like 3

Surf School.

R8

28-70 R

Kodak 200.

Plusteck 8100.

Gary

• Like 8

Layers of Nature; T-Max 400 ASA.

Paul

• Like 9

You're absolutely right Paul, and this shot shows it perfectly. You need to sell off or give away that gear in your signature, and just use the Zenit :rolleyes: .

Coincidentally, I started out with a (new) Zenit-E, and shortly after bought the Soligor 28 (might have been a 35, not sure) as well as the Soligor 135.

Heady days those 60's/70's.

Gary

Hi Gary,

I had bought the Soligor from a small shop at Camden Town, London, for £10! That was in early 90's. A long trip since then and here I am now, blaming my ultra-expensive cameras for all evils in photography!

But I can't get rid of them (ha ha!)

Paul

• Like 2