Dry Cabinet- Controlled Environment

kdemas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone here use a dry cabinet or other device to store their equipment when not in use? I have quite a bit of equipment that I am getting nervous about having in my home with no air conditioning (90+ degrees inside now).

If anyone knows of a quality dry cabinet or similar device I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!

Kent

Kent,

In my opinion a controlled dry cabinet is not necessary, a cupboard with glass door so lenses are not stored in the dark and with some moisture absorbant is all that is required.

Here in australia we have a similar climate and I have only had fungus develop in lenses I have had in the tropics. Moisture absorbant sold here under name "Dampsorb" I think Calcium chloride, discarded when becomes wet, I prefer indicating Silica Gel, blue when active, turns pink when exhausted, reclaimed by roasting in oven until turns blue again, can be used many times over.

Regards, Stuart

Hi Kent

You only really need a dry cabinet for storing cameras and lenses if the humidity is consistently high where you live and you have a lot of gear to store - high temperatures have little effect if the atmosphere is dry, although some glues may dry out (or melt) in really fierce conditions.

Cabinets are expensive, but a cheap alternative if you only have a small outfit is a hermetically sealed plastic box (eg Tupperware) and a bag of silica gel dehumidifier - which should be kept activated by periodic baking (at a low heat) to drive off absorbed moisture. I used this method for years on the coast in West Africa where temperatures reach 100 Fahrenheit, and humidity 90%, and had no problems.

John

Does anyone here use a dry cabinet or other device to store their equipment when not in use? I have quite a bit of equipment that I am getting nervous about having in my home with no air conditioning (90+ degrees inside now).

If anyone knows of a quality dry cabinet or similar device I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!

Kent

Guest stnami

Lived on the equator for 3 years bought one never switched it on a waste of money. Anyway the computer would not fit especially if I was using it

Kent,

John is correct. You only need a dry cabinet if you live in high-humidity conditions.

If anyone needs a high quality dry cabinet Id suggest the Japanese brand Toyo-Living (http://www.toyoliving.co.jp). I understand their products are sold in USA under "Totech America" (Desiccators, Desiccant Dry Cabinets, Dry Box Storage - Totech America)

Sun light (UV) prevents lenses from having fungus. John stated that silica gel can dehumid the lenses. I can confirm this. These silica gel bags can be re-used/reconditioned after a short drying process in an oven at around 120F - 140F.

Kent, I have several cameras and lenses which I protect with silica gel which I placed in a large picnic cooler (icebox) which has a gasket sealed lid which keeps out humidity. The box is insulated as well to guard against temperature spikes. It has lots of room, a removable shelf, and was very inexpensive! Best regards, Bill