Hurray my M8 has got the coffee stain issue! Advice needed

dpitt

My M8.2 developed the coffee stain last summer. I finally emailed Leica, NJ. and they verified that it is still under warranty. Per instructions from NJ service, I sent it there (12/05) and they forwarded it to Germany. Last Friday (12/14/2012), NJ service said to get back to them after January 17 (they are closed the week between Christmas and New Years.) I keep repeating the mantra, "Patience is a virtue especially if a new M9 or P is offered...." Cheers!--martha

I will take the upgrade and even the M9-P if it is not much more than the M9. It is the only sensible thing to do. Selling the M8 as is, is not a good option. If I needed the money I could always get the upgrade, then sell the new M9 and buy a good second hand M8.2 or M8 to save money.

That is not what I am going to do. Once I get my hands on the M9 i will not be able to let it go. :D

@martha

Sorry to hear you had to miss your M8 that long! At least I can still use mine while I am waiting. The stain is not bad now. It is only clearly visible on plain white backgrounds.

I was among the first to report the 'coffee stain' here.

The strange thing is that it just disappeared after some time. Most likely, the cause is fungus. It can be cured with either heating up the camera by putting it in the sun. Or better, let it stay the night in the freezer. It certainly isn't a production default that justifies a reject from Leica. I sold my M8 on to finance my M9. No big issue.

I am happy for you. I was in the same situation. My M8 started the coffee stain just after the expiry of the guarantee. I gave it to the Belgian official Leica importer and they sent it to Solms for a quote. I asked for a silver M9-P and they proposed me a black M9-P (no silver available) for 3,100 € + VAT (21%), that is 3.800 € to pay. My camera was bought (demo camera) in 2010 with a one year guarantee and was in perfect shape with a very low number of actuations.

I tried to negotiate the offer with Leica but received no answer.

Finally, I asked them to send me my M8 back.

I prefer to keep it but I really found that the exchange offer was not fair.

I am really disappointed and I will keep my M8 with it coffee stain.

Unacceptable indeed. According to their current offer, they should have traded you a new M9-P for 1920 EUR + VAT. I would call them again if you are still interested. With a bit of chance (?) you could get a new M-E for less. See:

Just bought M8.2 with Coffe Stain on LCD - Seite 2 - Leica User Forum

Leica User Forum - Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen - Hurray my M8 has got the coffee stain issue! Advice needed

It can be cured with either heating up the camera by putting it in the sun. Or better, let it stay the night in the freezer.

Depends if one wants their coffee hot or cold, I suppose.

I much prefer using the temperature settings in the menu.

Jeff

@GLAUMAXI am sorry to hear Leica did not give you a fair offer for the exchange. If I were you I would email Leica directly beginning of next year. Then they can make you a specific offer. (mail to cs@leica-camera.com)

We Belgians have to stick together, even though we are both on different sides of the language border ;).

They will surely have registered your M8 issue so no need to contact them asap for registering the date of occurrance of the issue IMO.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys,

Finally an update on the upgrade offer!

Leica has offered me an exchange for a Steel Grey M9 , used demo model of a shop, for 1350+VAT which is 19% . Which is exactly the current policy of 1500 - 10% because it is not brand new.

For 1606 Euro they will send me a new camera with 2 year warranty and hardly signs of use! :cool:

• Like 2

Guest WPalank
Hello guys,

Finally an update on the upgrade offer!

Leica has offered me an exchange for a Steel Grey M9 , used demo model of a shop, for 1350+VAT which is 19% . Which is exactly the current policy of 1500 - 10% because it is not brand new.

For 1606 Euro they will send me a new camera with 2 year warranty and hardly signs of use! :cool:

Dirk,

I'm still waiting to hear from leica. In the US, we send the camera to New Jersey, who then forwards it to Solms. Solms then takes a look and then offers a deal. I was also asked to write down a preference for which camera I would like if all goes through OK. I stated a black M9P.

My question is, did you also have to forward the M8 box with charger, etc.? Or was it just the camera? Approximately how much time went by from sending the camera to getting a response?

Thanks.

William:

I too have gone through Leica New Jersey. I sent the M8.2, but I did not include batteries or charger and I used the original packaging. This was back in November 2012. I was called last week (1/16/13) and told that a black M9-P was being "rushed" from Solms.

I will post on the Forum when/if a new camera arrives at my door. (I'm in New England.)

--Martha

• Like 1

Hi,

I asked about the charger etc...

Only the camera is needed. I kept the battery and charger before sending my M8 in.

It took only 2 working days after my M8 arrived in Solms before it was checked and I got the offer for the replacement! :cool:

Did not receive the M9 yet but apparantly it should be shipped now. (after 3 working days)

Thanks Leica! I can not wait. It feels like a late Christmas present even though I need to pay part of it :D

• Like 1

Update:

This is what Leica answered this afternoon when I asked them about the current status of the repair/exchange.

we have inspected the exchange camera and finished the work yesterday. The shipping documents will be generated shortly and once we charged your credit card the M9 will be ready to ship.

I assume it will go out latest tomorrow.

Not quite as fast as I hoped for, but I still can have my new M9 before the weekend if all goes well :cool:

Update:

This is what Leica answered this afternoon when I asked them about the current status of the repair/exchange.

Not quite as fast as I hoped for, but I still can have my new M9 before the weekend if all goes well :cool:

I was told last week (1/16/13) that my m9p replacement was being "rushed" from Solms. How long does shipping to the US take? AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! I, too, am waiting for Christmas in January.