Sign in to follow this  
dpitt

Hurray my M8 has got the coffee stain issue! Advice needed

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Received my M9-P today!

In my situation, the exchange/upgrade process took about 69 days, from the day I sent my coffee-stained M8.2 to Leica New Jersey to the day I received the M9-P. (I am located in California).

Leica Customer Service gave me clear instructions on how the exchange process would work. I was also advised that it was not necessary to send in the battery or battery charger. My camera was beyond the warranty period so I paid for the upgrade according to the matrix outlined by Leica.

The camera I received appears new and the box contained a complete set of accessories, along with a two year warranty. I knew that one would receive whatever camera body Leica chose to send, so I am pleased as well to have received the smooth(er) body covering as seen on the current M-E model. Strangely enough, I prefer this surface since it seems to provide a better grip than the more textured covering of the M8.2.

Thanks to all of you who posted info on this thread. If you are still awaiting delivery, may your camera arrive soon!

Guest WPalank

Well I just heard from Leica NJ. I had an out of warranty M8 and they are offering me a brand new Black M9P for $3900, which seems a bit steep. they are allowing me to think about it.

Since my M9 is probably out of warranty and I just got it back from NJ after calibration and sensor mapping which cost me about $435, anyone have a price range I may be able to sell that for with about 15,000 actuations?

Guest WPalank

Just visited a local Leica camera store and the Local Rep was there from Leica. They all agreed I would be crazy not to take the deal so I immediately called NJ and gave them my CC digits. They will start the process tomorrow in Solms who will then send the black M9P to NJ..

Advice was to wait until release of the M before putting my used M9 up for sale, so I will.

Just visited a local Leica camera store and the Local Rep was there from Leica. They all agreed I would be crazy not to take the deal so I immediately called NJ and gave them my CC digits. They will start the process tomorrow in Solms who will then send the black M9P to NJ..

Advice was to wait until release of the M before putting my used M9 up for sale, so I will.

If the advice comes from Leica, it's a bit strange... do they think that when M will arrive, reviewers will be in the mood of "M9 was better" so that M9 prices will ramp up ?

Guest WPalank

First of all, I did not say that this was leica's advice as there were several camera shop employees and customers within earshot.

The associates did say there are a few people miffed by the fact there is no frame line selector on the M-E. To me, that is just one more thing to be damaged on the camera.

The way I thought about it is if you look at threads like the recent "first pictures from the M", there are lots of people on the fence, many of whom are M8 or M8.2 owners. What I gather from the camera store is that they have never had so many pr-orders of any single Leica product in history. I have to assume it is the same world-wide. If the camera is a hit, which I bank on by having ordered it months before it was ever announced, it will be years before Leica can fulfill orders on the camera who haven't already ordered it or are waiting for the camera to be released and then the reviews to come out. Just look at the Monochrom.

69 days is long!

But in may case it is about as long, probably due to the fact that they did not have brand new M9s left in december. I contacted Leica about my coffee stain on Dec 9 2012.

According to tracking info they shipped my M9 on Jan 24 2013.

Fortunately I negotiated a deal before sending my M8 in, so I only had to send it in last week on jan 18 2013. This is when they confirmed that an exchange camero of my choice was in stock.

Al those waiting for a solution better contact Leica to inform them that you can agree with a demo model M9 or M9p (10% off on the deal price for new item is standard), otherwise they might wait to contact you until they have an exchange for a new M-E in place.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I shipped my under warranty and coffee stained M8.2 to Leica USA on November 30, 2012. I was told yesterday by my newest best friend in the world in New Jersey that I must wait at least two more weeks for delivery of an exchange. By my calculations, that will be 69 days for me as well. The good news is that it is looking good for me to receive a black M9-P, which happens to be my dream camera.

Does anyone know if I should expect a package from Leica USA or directly from Solms and what method of delivery is used, that is, DHL/USMail, FedX, UPS?

Cheers,

martha

Martha-

My camera was sent on Nov 14, 2012. After arrival at Leica New Jersey (my experience discussing the exchange process with customer service was very good, btw), it was then sent to Solms for evaluation of the coffee stain and "age" verification of camera. I requested a black M9-P body and was told that there weren't any available at that time and that there would be some stock from Germany becoming available around mid-January. (There was also the matter of the December holiday period, so additional days had to be included). I was told to anticipate delivery of my camera during the last week of the month and not to expect it any sooner. Although I wish the process would not have taken as long as it did, the entire exchange/upgrade steps were accurately described by Leica customer service.

My package came from Leica New Jersey via UPS with signature required, but your method of delivery may or may not be the same as mine. Perhaps your black M9-P camera will then arrive in 68 days via FedEx?

I shipped my under warranty and coffee stained M8.2 to Leica USA on November 30, 2012. I was told yesterday by my newest best friend in the world in New Jersey that I must wait at least two more weeks for delivery of an exchange. By my calculations, that will be 69 days for me as well. The good news is that it is looking good for me to receive a black M9-P, which happens to be my dream camera.

Does anyone know if I should expect a package from Leica USA or directly from Solms and what method of delivery is used, that is, DHL/USMail, FedX, UPS?

Cheers,

martha

Thanks so very much, Keith!

I too hasten to add that Leica Service in New Jersey have been fabulous and patient and kind and very forthcoming with information. Those folks are terrific!!!

--martha

....If the camera is a hit, which I bank on by having ordered it months before it was ever announced, it will be years before Leica can fulfill orders on the camera who haven't already ordered it or are waiting for the camera to be released and then the reviews to come out....

Ugh... I confess it's exactly my situation...

Guest WPalank

Martha,

I was told (conversation yesterday), that the camera will be sent from Solms to NJ. NJ will then contact me and send it to me. To hopefully speed the process, I had them charge it to my Credit Card yesterday.

Brilliant, William! I will get right on it Monday morning. Thanks for the tip! I will be leaving town just about the time they promised delivery, so if i can arrange for overnight shipment, I will have it for the trip. I really do NOT want to lug a Canon DSLR or an M3 with loads of film and meter half way across the country; nor do I want to rent an M9 for hundreds of bucks.

I "lika" my Leica digital option.

My Leica M9 steel grey has arrived on Friday

Unfortunately I was so busy that I could not even post this until today.

Took a few test shots, but that is all.

All in all I am pretty happy with the speed of my exchange process. Only sent in my M8 the thursday before, so had to miss my M for 8 days exactly.

That is still a few days more than possible in theory, but is lightning fast compared to what I read here from other 'lucky' coffee stain owners.

For all those that have the coffee stain, I thought these tips to speed up the process might come in handy:

1. Contact Leica Solms directly, preferably by email on cs@leica-camera.com.

Report that yoour M8 has the coffee stain. They will probably ask to send scans of your purchase invoice and/or serial number.

2. Ask for availability and price of the exchanges. They should give you the price according the current policy. This is not an official quote! The offer from Leica can only be final after they have checked your camera. If your camera has other functional faults it may alter the price for the exchange.

In my case this saved me about a month of use of my M8. When I contacted them in december they told me there were no exchange camera's available, so I kept the M8 until I had confirmation they had.

3. Indicate on the repair form what exchange deal you are applying for. (m9 or M9p and finish)

4. In my case I agreed to an M9 demo model with discount to speed up the process.

5. When they have inspected the camera, they will send you the official exchange offer. I gave them my CC data to speed up the process.

Ok that is all advice I have. Now I am off with my new M9 to take some nice photo's

Does anyone know what happens with these coffee-stained M8 cameras, after they are sent back to Leica?

There is nothing functionally wrong with them so it would be a pity just to abandon them.

Maybe donating them to universities for students in photography courses would be an option?

I actually suspect this is not a permanent problem, but many are quite happy with the trade-in.

I had a coffee stain on the M8 lcd for some months and then it suddenly dissapered all by itself.

Dirk,

Your last post was most welcome to me as I discovered the "coffee stain" on my M8 for January 2009. I'll send a mail with the details to the address you mentioned today and we will see how this evolves.

Thanks for setting out the route to go.

Gerd

All in all I am pretty happy with the speed of my exchange process. Only sent in my M8 the thursday before, so had to miss my M for 8 days exactly.

That is still a few days more than possible in theory, but is lightning fast compared to what I read here from other 'lucky' coffee stain owners.

Ok that is all advice I have. Now I am off with my new M9 to take some nice photo's

Thanks for the update and advice, Dirk, and congratulations on your quick receipt. I guess part of your success lies in the fact that you and Solms are on the same continent!

Enjoy!

Cheers, martha

Unfortunately I was so busy that I could not even post this until today.

Took a few test shots, but that is all.

All in all I am pretty happy with the speed of my exchange process. Only sent in my M8 the thursday before,....

Congratulations on the speedy exchange; I'm sure you'll be happy with the M9. Would you mind telling me what the first three or four digits of your m9 serial number are? Regards, Ron

Thx. I am very happy with the M9, though I must say that I was happy with the M8 too. As long as it has the Leica rangefinder and is digital (for conveniance) I am happy.

Yes the M9 takes sharper pictures and has the advantage with 18 MP, no filter issues, FF...

But it also means I have to rethink my lens setup, will have a larger COO and higher risk exposure for theft and damage....

My M9 snr starts with 4337xxx.

My replacement M9P left Solms via DHL 1/31 at 15:51 CET and just arrived Leica USA, New Jersey, 2/1 11:43. WOWEE!!!!

Alas, I have to wait the weekend for it to arrive at my door. There's a word for that too, but I will spare you the obscenity!

Will advise on serial number (Ron) when it gets here.

--martha