I tried the M with R adapter and EVF

stuny

I'd love to be able to use my pre-IF 300mm f/4.5 Nikkor*ED AI as a backup to the 280mm f/4 APO without adding an F-mount camera to my tool kit.

1+

There is only handful of APO 280s to go round and bit more of good equivalent 3rd party 300mm lenes. Nobody in his right mind including Leica would limit use of own new camera to only limited number of hard to find lenses.

1+

There is only handful of APO 280s to go round and bit more of good equivalent 3rd party 300mm lenes. Nobody in his right mind including Leica would limit use of own new camera to only limited number of hard to find lenses.

Let's hope that reason prevails... When I think of some of the people who get elected to rule a country, my faith in reason is shaken...

Pete -

Yes, a typo. it was the 80mm they had on the camera, after the gent before me asked them to attach an R lens.

Hum... SUMMILUX 80 ? I suppose it's listed in the "supported" in the firmware... and the R adapter was surely original - coded... maybe that preproduction model did need the rumored RF cam sensor AND the code to make peaking working... it seems to me completely illogical they wouldn't allow focus peaking with R lenses on original R adapter... I can understand some tentative to "protect" their branded components, but keeping away R lenses from such an important feature would be simply stupid.

Btw... is not so clear, but in the Leica Mayfair video above linked, it seems to me that when the man mounts and focuses the 80-200 you DO NOT see peaking...

Hum... SUMMILUX 80 ? I suppose it's listed in the "supported" in the firmware... and the R adapter was surely original - coded... maybe that preproduction model did need the rumored RF cam sensor AND the code to make peaking working... it seems to me completely illogical they wouldn't allow focus peaking with R lenses on original R adapter... I can understand some tentative to "protect" their branded components, but keeping away R lenses from such an important feature would be simply stupid...

+1. The 80/1.4 is indeed supported by the M-240 but perhaps it had no ROM contacts then. Do you have the feeling (or knowledge) that those contacts are mandatory? Hard to imagine why but i wonder.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+1. The 80/1.4 is indeed supported by the M-240 but perhaps it had no ROM contacts then. Do you have the feeling (or knowledge) that those contacts are mandatory? Hard to imagine why but i wonder.

So far there's no evidence that the R adapter has any electronic components - and, as you say, with no new electronic contacts in the M-240's throat it's hard to imagine why there should be any.

So far there's no evidence that the R adapter has any electronic components

It does not:

Question:How does the adapter for R lenses work? Is there any transmission of certain functions such as those needed for automatic exposure or lens recognition?

Jesko v. Oeynhausen: There are no electronic parts in the adapter. It’s a purely mechanical device. It has a 6 bit code which lets the camera recognize that the R adapter is mounted. The camera’s menu then offers a selection of about twenty R lenses. Those have been tested and calibrated to ensure perfect quality of the image. This does not mean that other R lenses will yield poor results. We covered the whole range of focal lengths. You will get good results by simply selecting a similar lens. Depending on the market’s acceptance we might add some more lenses to the menu.

Source: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2012/10/leica-photokina-qa-session-schopf-daniel/
  • Like 1

The information that coding may be necessary to activate focus peaking for R lenses is interesting. I have advised Amadeo to incorporate coding pits in the Visoflex replacement adapter (41mm M extension tube) I am arranging to have made for forum members, who want to use Visoflex lenses direct on the new M. Once the M-240 recognises from the 110111 (55) code that an R lens is attached, you would then just select the nearest R lens from the menu to whatever Visoflex lens you have mounted on the NOVISO adapter.

Wilson

• Like 1

Wilson - I have the same thought. Given this:

Jesko v. Oeynhausen: There are no electronic parts in the adapter. It’s a purely mechanical device. It has a 6 bit code which lets the camera recognize that the R adapter is mounted. The camera’s menu then offers a selection of about twenty R lenses. Those have been tested and calibrated to ensure perfect quality of the image. This does not mean that other R lenses will yield poor results. We covered the whole range of focal lengths. You will get good results by simply selecting a similar lens. Depending on the market’s acceptance we might add some more lenses to the menu.

THEN if there is an issue with focus peaking on the M-240 and lenses off the coded list, what the user will need to do is a) ensure that whatever adapter they are using has the same 6 bit coding as the R to M adapter (algrove posted a picture of this - but I can't find it :(), and then B) key in the number for a lens that has a similar focal length and aperture for an equivalent R lens... The more I think about it, I'd be really surprised that focus peaking was crippled for lenses off the list Leica has published.

I agree with all you say Chris. I am sure in the video in London of the M, the user was focus peaking on an M lens, so I would guess it is non-lens dependent - why would it be? Here is the link for Algrove's pic of the R to M adapter http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/attachments/leica-m9-forum/343726d1351454252-preparing-m-l1000936luf.jpg

Wilson

Wilson - I have the same thought. Given this:

THEN if there is an issue with focus peaking on the M-240 and lenses off the coded list, what the user will need to do is a) ensure that whatever adapter they are using has the same 6 bit coding as the R to M adapter (algrove posted a picture of this - but I can't find it :(), and then B) key in the number for a lens that has a similar focal length and aperture for an equivalent R lens... The more I think about it, I'd be really surprised that focus peaking was crippled for lenses off the list Leica has published.

Easy to remember... :) Beethoven's last 2 piano sonatas : opp. 110111

In the thread with the algrove pic ("preparing for M") SEEMS that he has tested the focus peaking with the R adapter mounted...

• Like 1

...... I'm attempted by the idea of using R-lenses on M, but I'm also wondering how many lenses worth the trouble. The PC capable prime or super tele, yes, 35-70mm f2.8 yes, 70-180mm f2.8, yes, 35-70mm or 80-200mm f4, maybe. Anything else?

28-90mm f2.8-4.5 Vario Elmarit ASPH. I print landscapes and woodland scenes on canvas with edge wraps. It's essential to have accurate framing without having to crop and lose more pixels than necessary. Also maybe the 21-35mm f3.5-4 Vario Elmar ASPH.

Bob.

Edited by gravastar

28-90mm f2.8-4.5 Vario Elmarit ASPH. I print landscapes and woodland scenes on canvas with edge wraps. It's essential to have accurate framing without having to crop and lose more pixels than necessary. Also maybe the 21-35mm f3.5-4 Vario Elmar ASPH.

Bob.

Bob - don't forget you'll be able to use all of your M lenses with either live view or EVF and get an 100% view of the image for accurate framing. Another benefit of the M-240 if all works out as we hope.

Once again maybe I needed to push a button to get the 80 to show focus peaking -- the gent at the booth did no know. They had just received the two M prototypes.

I too expect Leica to make focus peaking available on all lenses, and expect they will. I await confirmation on that, as well as a look at the files it produces.

Once again maybe I needed to push a button to get the 80 to show focus peaking -- the gent at the booth did no know. They had just received the two M prototypes.

I too expect Leica to make focus peaking available on all lenses, and expect they will. I await confirmation on that, as well as a look at the files it produces.

If Leica demonstrator didn't know than what chance combined wisdom of LUF bloggers has to figure it out.

I would hazard the guess that it is highly unlikely that only menu or 6-bit selected/identified lenses would be supported with focus peaking, it would be just plain stupid.

• Like 3

Bob - don't forget you'll be able to use all of your M lenses with either live view or EVF and get an 100% view of the image for accurate framing. Another benefit of the M-240 if all works out as we hope.

Chris, my interest in the R zooms is related to the way I work when composing an image. I walk around until the various objects in a scene are in the relative positions that I want them. I then have to decide on how much of the scene I wish to include in the final image. Because I can't move without changing the composition my only option is to change the focal length. A zoom is ideal since I can get an exact field of view including an allowance for edge wrap on a canvas. It's going to be very interesting having this option after using fixed focal lengths for so long. Up to now, if a scene didn't fit a focal length I'd sometimes choose the next longest lens and stitch images together to maintain quality.

Bob.

• Like 1

I was so frickin' flustered just to be holding it...I'm just happy I didn't drop it.

• Like 1

Bob,

On another thread on this, I have suggested the wonderful Zeiss Contax MMJ 28-85 f3.3 lens. I think this is close to as good as MF zoom lenses get. Rayqual and Rugift do Contax to Leica M adapters. It is also available rather cheaper than the Leica R zooms (as little as £400). It also has rather nice bokeh, unlike many zoom lenses, incorporating multiple ASPH surfaces.

Wilson

• Like 1

Bob,

On another thread on this, I have suggested the wonderful Zeiss Contax MMJ 28-85 f3.3 lens. I think this is close to as good as MF zoom lenses get. Rayqual and Rugift do Contax to Leica M adapters. It is also available rather cheaper than the Leica R zooms (as little as £400). It also has rather nice bokeh, unlike many zoom lenses, incorporating multiple ASPH surfaces.

Wilson

Wilson - I can find this:

CONTAX CARL ZEISS VARIO-SONNAR 24-85MM F3.5-4.5 LENS FOR CONTAX N1 | eBay

also a 28-70:

CONTAX C/Y CARL ZEISS VARIO-SONNAR T* 28-70mm F3.5-4.5 F/3.5-4.5 ZOOM LENS EX++ 0067215012945 | eBay

However - no 28-85. Am I missing something?