New M mount 50mm F1.13 coming.

bpalme

thats sharp enough for me... they would be hard to find i presume? how does it compare to a new Zeiss Sonnar f1.5?

You can find a comparison of the wartime Sonnar 5cm 1:1.5, the recent Sonnar 1.5/50mm ZM, and other classical lenses here on my website - however, using the NEX-5N, and not a FF RF:

NEX-5N and classical 50mm Zeiss / Leitz lenses

Stephan

• Like 1

you must have an awful version then, as my Nokton is far sharper and these are so soft... I was considering this lens as a more compact alternative but not having seen examples, far too soft.

I am sure that if CV had better quality control, they could charge at least enough more to cover the cost and would sell more lenses. It put me off buying another CV for a long time, in that I had had two dreadful ones and one mediocre one. I finally have a decent CV (15mm Super Wide Heliar) but if an alternative had been available from another maker, I would probably have gone for that.

QC is terribly important in lenses. Zeiss I believe, have their own inspectors at the Cosina plant and it shows. Bad Zeiss lenses seem to be very rare.

Wilson

On the Nokton 50/1.1: it is optimized for a film camera made by a different manufacturer. Film does not lie perfectly flat, the sensor in the M8 and M9 are on a different plane.

I found the 50/1.1 and 35/1.2 both showed the same degree of misfocus, and corrected it for the M9 by adding one layer of copper tape the the RF cam of the Noktons.

On the Nokton 50/1.1: it is optimized for a film camera made by a different manufacturer. Film does not lie perfectly flat, the sensor in the M8 and M9 are on a different plane.

I found the 50/1.1 and 35/1.2 both showed the same degree of misfocus, and corrected it for the M9 by adding one layer of copper tape the the RF cam of the Noktons.

Brian,

On my long since sold 35/f1.2, I got my local lens guru to move the optical cell within the focus barrel for exactly the same fault. He used an optical bench and collimator to set it all up to focus correctly and only then ran tests on an M8. You can't however, do this on a lot of CV lenses e.g. my 35/f2.5 Skopar as the optical cell is fixed in the focus barrel, the back of which is the RF cam. I have toyed around with the idea of a thin layer of hand scraped solder on the RF cam but had not thought of copper tape. Can you give me a link to a site that sells the sort of copper tape you used. Did you not have an issue with wrinkles? Can you post a photo?

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been using 3M copper tape #1181, designed for EMI shielding.

Random Ebay example:

3M 1181 EMI Copper Foil Shielding Tape 1/2 in x 18yd | eBay

I clean the surface of the Cam with alchohol, let dry. Cut a small piece, it adheres well- and I flatten with a screwdriver. I've done this on a couple of lenses as long as 10 years ago, still sticks. Corrects for back-focus when the optics cannot be shimmed in the mount. I'm waiting on a new P&S for projects- will get a picture up.

• Like 1

you must have an awful version then, as my Nokton is far sharper and these are so soft... I was considering this lens as a more compact alternative but not having seen examples, far too soft.

you are lucky, my CV at f1.1 gives faces and things in focus a nervous look to them just like the bokeh has.

My new digital P&S arrived, here is a shot of the copper tape on the back of the 50/1.1 Nokton. I've been using this quick-fix for about 10 years. I use the side of s screwdriver to flatten into place. Each layer is about 0.04mm or so.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

My VC 50 1.1 and 35 1.2 focus correctly luckily. They did on my M8 anyway. I'm picking up an M9-P on Tuesday so I hope that works as well!

I will visit a shop in HK that has a tester of this JE lens so I'll try and pop a few shots off also. The adjustable coma bit at the back intrigues me, as does its weight being half that of my VC 1.1!

Depends if they make some more lenses though, as the shop informs me that they are not sure when new lenses will arrive.... :-/

• 3 weeks later...