I love my M4-2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's the box and the plastic bag

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Even if I think so that some parts can be made in Wetzlar, the whole first M4-2 assembly can be 'made in Portugal', before 'Canada'.

have some infos here post #9

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62799

there post #10

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-collectors-historica/249709-leica-m4-2-m4-p-variants.html

and many more ...

Edited by a.noctilux

15 minutes ago, andrew01 said:

That’s compelling evidence that the plastic bag was made in Germany!  

Sure, but when I purchased this camera I did not pay any extra. It was not advertised as some special camera made in Germany. I am just curious about the origins of this camera, it's not for sale. Part of the reason why I'm also so curious about this particular camera is that it is actually a really great camera! I have read about some issues related to Leica M4-2s, but this one is a really great quality camera! Build quality is top notch!

Edited by ppkarppi
  • Thanks 1

My old workhorse M4-2

with even older Summarit 1.5 LTM

it was reliable and just worked as needed

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Both this and the I Love my M4-P threads have been great reads. Now if I could only decide between the two for my next analog M body. I currently shoot an M3 DS that had been converted with M2 frame lines but really want something a bit newer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anthony Miller said:

Both this and the I Love my M4-P threads have been great reads. Now if I could only decide between the two for my next analog M body. I currently shoot an M3 DS that had been converted with M2 frame lines but really want something a bit newer.

Hello Anthony,

I suggest that you take the one first available at your price range.

I used them along each other for years without looking at their differences :

M4-2 a bit older as we know has uncluttered framelines,

M4-P if you plan to use 28mm or 75mm and you don't be bothered by the 75 when using 50mm lens.

M4-P can be in silver or black.

Otherwise, they are the same M with same high standard built.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Went with the M4-2 as I did not need 28mm framelines and came with a warranty. Viewfinder is a little less bright than my M3 (with M2 frames)

Edited by Anthony Miller
  • Like 5

Well, my affair with the M4-2 was short lived    Supposed to have been CLA'd but came with a hazy, foggy viewfinder with significantly less contrast and rangefinder patch crispness than my M3 has. Haze appears on the back of the front viewfinder window and possibly the front of whatever is immediately behind it (condenser lens perhaps?). Although it has a 6 month warranty the seller has only offered a full refund and no option of service/repair. 

The haze would not be a deal breaker if I had bought this from a private seller at a user price but this was bought at full dealer/CLA pricing and I expect better.

Kind of bummed as I really liked the look of this one. To me the matt black anodize and simple Leitz script on the top cover is just right and so understated. 

On the bright side after packing it back up today I found a really clean M-mount Summaron 35mm f3.5 which is the last lens I have been wanting.

Anthony, sorry for your short "life" M4-2.

With patience, you will find another one in better shape.

16,000 units to choose from ...

just a question for myself, I see here some attributes of M4-P : 3 x cross head screws at front and lens release button paint in red without, as seen more often, flat head screw

• Like 2

just a question for myself, I see here some attributes of M4-P : 3 x cross head screws at front and lens release button paint in red without, as seen more often, flat head screw

Yes!  This is one of the very last of the M4-2 bodies produced.  Another difference from earlier M4-2 bodies is that there was the audible 'click' when the frameline preview lever was moved, just like the M4-P.   I had M4-2 number 1531294  from the same final batch produced in 1980.   The very next M bodies produced were M4Ps.

Edited by FDS
proof-reading!
  • Thanks 1

Or, perhaps,  M4-P bodies were already being built by that time and the main elements were 'donated' to finish using some remaining M4-2 top plates and frameline masks without the 28mm /75mm 'notches'?   

Edited by FDS

3 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Anthony, sorry for your short "life" M4-2.

With patience, you will find another one in better shape.

16,000 units to choose from ...

Well shortly after mailing this M4-2 back a local dealer listed a very nice chrome M4 in good working condition for less $$. Everything seemed in order and they let me bring it home to try with a full 30 day return offered if there were any issues. So far it is working wonderfully. Speeds, focusing and frame spacing are right on the money after extensive film testing the past few days. Plenty of money margin left too in case it does need a CLA. 

Still have a desire to own a black M4-2 though at some point.

Anthony,

When I used intensively M, I needed backup M and lenses in case something went wrong ...

Those days, I used only Kodachrome or Velvia, so no need a second M for another film, but handy to have mounted another lens...

or ready while replacing film ( ... every 37 as usual ! I don't count number of times, something special did happend while rewinding/replacing film)

I don't remember having to use the 'spare M' when I used M4-2 (never let me down) or M4-P.

I can not say the same with many M4 that I used, all M4 developped something to be repaired when I came home, even the eyelets or shutter blinds 🤢.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 11:03 PM, ppkarppi said:

Here's the box and the plastic bag

P, I have never read or heard anything else than that the M4-2 was produced in Canada. There is a variety of engravings and details however, which may seem strange. Some have the message of being produced in Canada, others haven't, which does not mean that they are not produced in Canada. Leitz Wetzlar was sort of the frim name, not necessarily meaning that it meant the camera was produced in Wetzlar. I love my M4-2 and M4-P, as I do like most of the M's.

Lex

• Like 1

My M4-2 is one of those that just has the engraving 'Leitz' on the top, and simply 'Canada' on the back, no red dot. It is from the second production batch and has the M4 type film transport lever, not the small one that became common soon after this.

Lex

New M4-2 arrived.

• Like 7