Noctilux sharpness or M8 out of focus?

thpeters

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I put some pictures in the People forum, I have still the feeling my M8 is out of focus?

Please check out if you have time and really your comments is appriciated. Before I have to send it back to Solms.

Thanks.

Theo

Theo,

before sending back your lens, I suggest you go to the Leica site and download the "know how" document, and read the comments about the Noctilux.

Do a search also in this forum, were you'll find a lot of info.

To syntetize a little, this is not a lens to use at f11, where it reaches the diffraction limit,

but it needs to be appreciated for the particular way it draws full open, or nearly full open.

If you want more sharpness - but that is never as good as with other 50 mm lenses- stay at f4 or maximum f5,6.

Sergio

This is the link

Leica Camera AG - Photography - LEICA NOCTILUX-M 50 mm f/1

Theo:

It could easily be the Noctilux is out. I am sending mine to Kindemann Canada to get the focus cam calibrated. They can do the same for you, as they are the authorized Leica service in Canada. Leica will also pay for your service since it is still under warranty. Mine is a old lens and is probalby due for a tune up any way.

I will explain how I came to the conclusion I need my lens calibrated. In the past, I always set my rangefinders to focus the Noctilux. With the M8, if it was set right for the Noctilux, the 90mm APO ASPH and 75mm APO ASPH did not focus right. With the rangefinder infinity set to work with these two lenses, and the rest of my lenses, the rangefinder no longer aligns at infinity with the Noctilux. This tells me it is an adjustment problem with the Noctilux focus cam, not the rangefinder, since all the other lenses work properly.

In my call to Gerry Smith at Kinderman he mentioned hes has had more Noctiluxes in for adjustment in the past few months than he has had in years. He suggested the digital is just more critical to setup with such a fast lens. Even with my DMR I have found lens setup more critical than with film and some lenses in spec by Leica standards still needed a slight fine tuning of the focus.

Kinderman is also very fast with their service. You will probably only be without your lens for a week or two compared to the time it would take Leica to adjust yours in Solms or send a new lens.

Theo, the Noctilux is not really a lens for tacky sharp pictures, although it does surprisingly well at mid-range apertures. Smaller apertures than f 11 introduce diffraction, which will result in less sharp results.It is more of an atmospheric lens. For tacky sharp look in the Summicron range.

Top foto thru glass, smearing and aberations due to oblique angle, rain etc, and the yellow slicker man is clearly motion blur, not focus (the weak , unsharp focus of fence in back and bushes in front is due to thru glass situation.

. I have Nocilux and also the 50 lux. Would never think to use the Noct over 2.8

Ok, again I am glad with all the feed back, I post here an other picture from my Son, Tripod 1/125- F 5.6 Iso 320 and Studio lights.

Focus on the eyes.

If this is ok with you then I am happy guys...

I have to learn and explore the Noctilux that is for sure...

Theo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You may want to go look at the Noctilux photos in "Noctilux Challenge" in Rangerfinderforum.com

When I switcthed to my M8 I was convinced it couldm't be me that was making all these out of focus lousy pictures. But it was. It took me a long time to adapt for some reason.

I have a 1982 Noctilux. I don't know if its characteristics are different than a new one, but it sure was hard to get used to.

Also, I use it wide open 99% of the time. I switch to a 2.8 Elmar or the Lux if I want to close down. They are so much smaller and easier to use.

Theo, another thing, with my ageing eyes, I find it nearly impossible to focus my Summilux 75 (another of those "difficult" lenses) consistently without using the 1.25 magnifier, and I really need a diopter as well.:( Maybe that is the case for you too? Btw. I appreciate the offer to send me the file, but I am 100% prepared to believe your expertise :) Ps. A family to be envied...

Peter, you picture is not showing up.

Yes Jaap, I orderd the magnifier this morning, and you right my aging eyes need glases for reading, anyways guys thank you all for being so helpful, this is a great forum.

Let you know Jaap that I am origin from Holland, emigrated to Canada in 1991.

Theo

Theo--

The picture of your son looks good to me as well.

But as others are hinting, the Noctilux is a superb lens that can be used where no other lens can be. Or, putting it the other way, if you've got studio lights and tripod, the Noctilux may not be the proper choice. It's at its best wide open in low light.

The Noctilux is a wonderful piece of glass, but it's big and heavy. If you're working from a tripod, the Summicron or Elmar should be enough.

A few months back there was a good comparison of the various M 50's in LFI. Since everyone else is suggesting that you read previous posts in this forum or posts on another forum etc, I'll recommend checking out the LFI site or a local library and checking their lens descriptions to see whether another lens might not be a better choice.

--HC

I have both the Noctilux and the Summilux Asph. If I am photographing people, I use the Noctilux because I like the look. If I am traveling and taking travel photos, landscapes and buildings, I want the Summilux because of its sharpness.

(But as others are hinting, the Noctilux is a superb lens that can be used where no other lens can be. Or, putting it the other way, if you've got studio lights and tripod, the Noctilux may not be the proper choice. It's at its best wide open in low light.)

Howard,

This is the only lens what I have at this moment, the rest is in backorder, the Apo 90 mm, the WAT and I am looking for a summilux, my dealer in Vancouver has nothing in stock.

I order the Noctilux in The USA by Popflash, Tony rosen did a very good job in 5 days it was at my doorstep.

Yes and I agree, I like to used this lens for outside in different situations not for my studio. The picture taken with my tripod was to be sure the camera was shake free. I wrote it down to clarify what I did.

Thanks for your comment,

Regards,

Theo

I have both the Noctilux and the Summilux Asph. If I am photographing people, I use the Noctilux because I like the look. If I am traveling and taking travel photos, landscapes and buildings, I want the Summilux because of its sharpness.

Hi Richard,

Yes I am looking for a summilux for my traveling also, but with 2 lenses in backorder and no idea about delivering time, I bought the Noctilux, I am doing a lot of people inside and dont want to used a flash.

Thanks for your comment,

Regards,

Theo

Has anyone used the Noctilux on landscapes wide open or close to wide open?

I'm curious how it's special soft look would do in land and water shots. Any opinions, or images you could point me to. I know the dof would be small, but that could be interesting to play with, and for distant shots not a problem.

Thanks,

Mitchell

Theo:

If you just have the one lens there is no way to tell if the Noctilux is off or if your rangefinder is off. I don't know what to suggest in that case. You may also have to check with Popflash to see what they suggest.

If the lens is not a Leica USA lens, Kindermann may not be able to do the work under warranty if there is a problem with the lens.