Curacao - Dutch Influence I

lambroving

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok guys, time out... remember one of the main purposes of the Forum is to share your favorite snapshots. Not to participate in some sort of competition where you're being judged on composition, light, color, etc, etc........If that's ones criteria, there are other places where that can be found. We are all part of the same team -sort of- :p, the Leica team.

blah blah blah....

William, It's good to see the world through your lens. Keep it going.

Regards,

Ed.

Thanks, Ed. I think it's pretty clear that's what we did on the old Forum and it seemed to keep things friendly and harmonious. If it "wasn't broke", why "fix" it? When you see something I've posted, it's the way I liked it. I'm not looking for advice. If other members hate it, they can move on.

Rarely do I comment on picture posts. If I do, it's because I liked it a lot, found the photographer's viewpoint quite interesting, and in some cases wish I had taken it myself. Tastes here are bound to differ a lot. On the old Forum, a bad picture just died. On this new software, things get so cluttered that posts can be missed if one takes a few days off. Of course, we can rely on you to sometimes bring them back to the top! :D

The real issue here, however, is not the merits of this image. It is the fact that, for some reason unknown to the rest of us, you have a running feud going with William and will allow him to post nothing, be it verbal or visual, without taking him to task on it. I don't know how or when it all got started, but it's really quite boring.

Cheers,

Brent,

That has been my impression as well. Could not give you the reason for this agenda and appreciate your pointing it out.

In the interest of harmony and good will, I will avoid Steve's threads and might suggest that he avoid mine. Can't say I ever recall making a negative or unfriendly comment about any picture post however. Curious...

On the old Forum, a bad picture just died. On this new software, things get so cluttered that posts can be missed if one takes a few days off.

It's not the software, it's the fact that people are posting a lot more these days. There are many more members now than there ever were.

The only real difference is that there are fewer posts per front page. One of the reasons for this is that the name of the original poster is given below the title, giving everyone a simple way of seeing who posted the shot, and whether they should choose to ignore or comment on it. However, it only needs a click onto "Page 2" or "Page 3" and you can see stuff from recently.

The other added functionality of the software more than makes up for this minor inconvenience, IMHO.

Well I like the image William, I bet you were sorely tempted to park a Morgan on that drive though, if you could have that is!!

Hello Dave,

Interesting concept. This is a pedetrian area, but I suppose in the 19th Century, carriages drove through this spot. These islands are not very Morgan-friendly for the most part as traffic is intense and roads are few. My Land Rover or a Wrangler, which I hired in St. Thomas are by far the best choices. BTW, it's not really as nice here as the pictures makes it appear, nicer than Aruba though, which is a real pit away from the big resorts. :(

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Andy,

I agree with you, for what it's worth. It seems to me that the forum is more active and alive than ever, with more pictures being posted and more people inviting some kind of criticism of their work. For my part, I like to post shots I like - perfect or not - and am always happy to receive input on them.

Me too, John. I someone doesn't like what I post, I'd like to know why, so that I can learn to shoot better.

IMHO, you can learn a great deal more observing the work of others and taking on board what you find compelling. Just because someone does not like your shot does not make it bad, just not satisfying to that individual. Are your perspectives and viewpoint so unsettled that you need this input from others, who may or may not have any taste and whose point of view might differ greatly from yours?

Suggest you post your work at photo.net if you want a wash of differing opinion, but I doubt you'll enjoy the experience. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Nevertheless, the original instructions for the old Forum were to post a favorite picture, not everything you shot. It worked well. We had few disagreements and no real flame wars. Just be careful what you ask for.

William, it's not about being unsettled - and that's a very loaded word to use describing someone, it's about the fact that sometimes an alternative viewpoint can make you see things in a different light in a positive sense.

We _all_ have things to learn. I would have thought that was obvious. When we were at school or university we submitted work and occasionally were able to have an insight via criticism to see things in a clearer or better way. The same applies to photography. Criticism only has the potential to make someone a better photographer.

Steve,

We are all aware by now that this is your opinion. It is not mine, as stated above, and it would seem, not that of many other members, also above. There are lots of places to go for critical opinion and advice. We obviouly have very different tastes and I see no reason to belabor the point. As Brent said, very boring.

Learning? Yes, from the viewpoint of other photographers whose work interests me.

Might I suggest, one more time, that we avoid each other's threads in the interest of harmony and good will, and hopefully spare the admin needless work.

Photo.net ! Photo.net !....BUT WHY DO THESE 2 WORDS KEEP RINGING IN MY HEAD ? Photo.net !! ??

Azzo,

You have to put www. in front of it. :D Meanwhile, I have no $$$, but if I did, I might be onto you for stock tips. No, second thought, I have Stuart for that! :)

Do wish you would post some favorite Leica pictures of yours from Malta so that we could see the viewpoint behind your opinions...

William, I can't see much if anything in the previous posts that says that people can't gain from others offering criticism. I realise that you don't want criticism so I promise I won't offer any in the future. However since your signature invites comments I will continue to make them when I feel appropriate. If you feel I have overstepped some mark of politeness feel free to contact a moderator and ask for my removal from the forum or demand that I am 'yellow carded' - sorry if the football metaphor isn't familiar to you, but essentially it means to ask for my suspension.

You are of course free to make any comments or criticism you wish about anything I post.

And, believe it or not, if you post an image I like, or express an opinion I agree with, I will say so.

FINALLY...THE TRUTH IS SURFACING !!!:D

Azzo,

You have to put www. in front of it. :D Meanwhile, I have no $$$, but if I did, I might be onto you for stock tips. No, second thought, I have Stuart for that! :)

Do wish you would post some favorite Leica pictures of yours from Malta so that we could see the viewpoint behind your opinions...

William, this is a very nice shot and again i would like to say the color palette is what i like the most. I wish i was there having some icecream under that palm.

I believe nothing is worth breaking my friends hearts and i believe my dear Leica friends will share my motto as well.

Please post photos more often and lets make this place worthy of the name "Leica."

Love,

Mehmet Ali

Please, Steve, stop with the chippiness.

I see it. Brent sees it. A number of others on both sides of the Atlantic have sent PM's and emails that see it.

The Forum has always been, and the rules and registration state it is, a place of social engagement not criticism (even constructive).

William doesn't want criticism (constructive or otherwise).

So be it.

Thanks.

Allan