How many Leica owners also have a Hasselblad ?

too old to care

Sold all my Leica gear except one M3, 50 Planar and collapsable Summicron this week, what a relief and no regrets, the stuff just costs far too much for what it does for me.

I now shoot most everything in terms of some paid work, all my fine art and some editorial work with my Hasselblads and print it in my new darkroom. I use a pair of 501 C/M's, 1-220 and 7-120 backs, 50FLE, 60, 80, 100, 120 and 180 lenses, two extension tubes. I think that between what I am getting from my blads including street, my X100 and my Nikon gear, I just saw less and less reason to hold onto any more than one simple Leica.

But the blads and the darkroom, I can not tell you how excited I am to chart the future of my career with it. Sorry Leica, but your country club pricing has offended me for the last time, good bye and seriously....good riddance.

Well, it seems to me that you have seriously changed direction, or you just don't understand the differences between the two formats. I have always been under the impression that you have extracted a great deal from your Leica cameras. I wonder if you pondered what that body of work would look like had it been done with the Blad instead of the Leicas? Would the same opportunities have even worked with the Blad?

In my case, I have gone the opposite way. Except I have not sold any of my Blad gear. But my current work could not be done with it. It's just a personal choice of work for me. I am surprised at your (sudden?) attitude to Leica. I have had the impression that you are/were a proficient and happy 'Leicaite'. IMO the 'price' delivers more than just gear. There is the feel and mystique associated with both Leica and Hasselblad. Whatever anyone says, that is worth something as well. All my life I have been working with one or the other and have got more than just pictures from both. I have got pleasure. Can't put a price on that.

Having swapped your Leicas for Hasselblad of course, you will still experience the pleasure of using great gear. None of this has to do with your ability as a photographer. That is established and you know exactly what it is. May the light be with you, albeit at a slower pace.

Erl, I agree with you, but I needed to raise funds fast for my darkroom supplies and the prices Leica fetch, the shortage of new glass driving the price on used stuff through the roof, I just want nothing to do with it anymore. Blads were in the plan years ago, now very cheap, brilliantly made and spectacularly performing gear. I finished my Blad system in terms of purchase over three years ago, so it is not like this just happened over night.

I still have the one M3 and two 50's which I feel are all I really need anymore in Leica, I won't ever sell that for sure. But black and white images from my FM3A with a 35/2 AIS look just as good as those from my M6 and 35/2 Asph did and the camera and lens are only a tad bigger and louder than the M. If I need silent and small, the X100 is without peer in that regard and like the FM3A, is more realistically priced, focus much closer if needed.

I just see shooting and printing far more black and white with my blads and even my Xpan. I am trying to get out of the junk show that is commercial work and just do fine art for the rest of my career. It is very expensive to print entire editions and the money had to come from somewhere.

But Leica, wow....so many talented people shoved out of the mix because they keep jacking up the prices. I am a very happy photographer now that I have kicked it all to the curb and put the money to better use, that is all that matters. 95% of how I get to my photographs is my eye, my inherent way of seeing the world, I just realized that I don't need thousands of dollars tied up in gear that if you so much as put a paint scratch on a lens, then that value drops like a rock if for any reason you decide to sell it.

It's simple really, I bought Leica purely for shooting Kodachrome where it made a sizable difference, now that is done and I just don't see a big enough difference to justify keeping it anymore.

Edited by KM-25

I have a 500 C/M with 80mm and a 150mm lenses and a 903 SWC. The SWC is very usable on the street in relatively quick action situations; however, it improves if you can take your time. The 500 is hand holdable for some purposes, but shines with a tripod. If I am going strictly handheld and don't need a longer lens, I use a Rolleiflex for medium format. Hasselblad's quality is impressive, but like any device with a lot of moving parts, it needs service once in awhile.

I seem to go in cycles with 35mm and medium format. Lately, I've been shooting more medium format.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've got the standard focus screen in my 500c/m. I'd like a viewfinder as bright as that of my Kowa SIX. I believe I'm looking for the Acute Matte 42165. If anyone in the UK see's one for sale, either in a shop or privately, could you contact me.

Cheers

Pete

I'm now sorted thanks to Chris L. :D

Pete

I would like to thank everyone for their advice on the Hasselblad, I purchased the camera based upon the information.

[...]

Wayne

In case nobody mentions it there are two quirks to be aware of. The #1 is the famous Hasselblad Jam. See: http://www.david-odess.com/faq.html#q18 #2 is not so important, but odd. See: http://www.digoliardi.net/hasselblad_tip1.jpg (top part).

I know you will get the proper instruction manual but tip #1 should keep you from making the big mistake before you get the instructions. If you do make the error, find just the correct screw driver to cock the lens back.

One last gem for SWC owners. If you use series filters, carefully inspect the rim of the filter. One side of the filter glass should be farther from the rim than the opposite side. The side farther from the rim should point to the lens surface, lest you end up with a little burnishing right smack dab in the middle of the first element where they will touch.

Enjoy!

Edited by pico

I use an earlier SWC (with the DOF scales) with a ground-glass viewer and 45 degree finder for a long time. It is excellent, but this one finally needs a CLA now after many years because the shutter is slow in cold weather.

http://www.digoliardi.net/lib.jpg (My former work place)

This image enlarged well to 40" x 40" with impressive detail. It almost paid for the camera.

I only mention this for the option of placing a ground glass on the back with a mag finder for difficult images - typical probably only with the SWC.

** for enlargements of, for example, 40x40", do not trust the hyper-focal scale of the lens but use the 35mm CoC equivalent instead. This not just my suggestion but a recommendation by Hasselblad's literature,

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Don’t know if this might be the right ”confession-site”. But anyway:

Owned a 201F with this wonderful PM51 viewfinder with light-metering, and a splendid 50mm/2.8, what a shap lens, and so bright that focusing was so easy. Had only taken perhaps 25 films. Had it from new, sold it together with the 80mm for only 10.000 d.kr….hhmm and the D3 also went. To order a Nikon D800E.

But I still have the wonderful SWC. But am lazy, and have had an unpacked Imacon Flextight Precision II for severel years now. But I’m not good at computers, programs etc. and it lack the Scossi-kabel and pc-card…hhmm

But thats a wonderful camera, the SWC, Hasselblad’s answer to compctcameras, had taken thousands(almost) of pics in Venice, tripod, Nikon for light-messuring. Heavy load.

But if I can get that Imacon functioning I might also use my M6 and the 3 Leica lenses + a CV15mm.

But what I would like was to get use to see the light by ye and use it as a Hassy compact-camera in free hand. Its so easy to use and fire instantly without any sound…hhmmm

Sometimes dreams are made of evaporating clouds

Thorkil

But I still have the wonderful SWC. But am lazy, and have had an unpacked Imacon Flextight Precision II for severel years now. But I’m not good at computers, programs etc. and it lack the Scossi-kabel and pc-card…hhmm

I would like to help unpacking the Hasselblad Flextight and in my hands, the SWC would be also more used. ;)

So I started out with an M9 and so fell in love with Leica that I thought I would try an M6. Of course that only reignited my love for film. But then had to try MF so bought a 500CM that was older than I was, what a joy and wow those slides looked good. Once I'd started to appreciate Hasselblad I then discovered the Xpan. But after shooting with the 500 on holiday a few times the 'slow' speed was a little limiting, so I've now ended up with a lovely 2000FC/W.

They are all a joy to use, the only challenge is what to take with you!

• 2 weeks later...

I use 2 500CM bodies, usually with a 50 Distagon T* & my 120 Makro Planar T* for street portraits. Both are extremely versatile. In Chinatown, with narrow streets and wonderful light raining through the trees, the 120 is just so strong, isolating the face from the the rest of the frame. I do use the meter/prism so it feels like a SLR. The elegance of the Zeiss glass makes the experience more contemplative than shooting with my M's. The modularity of the V system keeps thing interesting, exploring different ways to create imagery. In NYC it's easy to rent almost any piece of the Blad world, for a day or a few hours. It's worth every cent to experiment with the full complement of the offerings.

• Like 1

FUJI 6x9. Same 2:3 format as Leica.

Can handle either 120 or 220 films.

Available with a 90mm or a 65mm.

No meter.

Noisy.

But quite small, easy to hold in portrait format as well, and what a quality.

I have the one with the 90mm, first model.

Can't manage the square format, therefore the 6x6 is not for me.