How many Leica owners also have a Hasselblad ?

too old to care

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shouldn't the dog be out at work, now? :)

The truth is, he is constantly on the job. Whenever I stop somewhere to set a pic, he stops and sits and keeps 'noseyparkers' at bay, unless they have treats in their pocket. :D

P.S. I have just commence booking for .......... ! ;):eek: (got a good report at my checkup today)

• Like 1

In truth, there is little comparison between a MF negative or slide and the diminutive 35mm equivalent out of a Leica. It's not just about tonality and detail, there is also a distinctive look you get from even a 'lowly' standard 80mm or 110mm F2.8 MF lens combined with MF film. There is something special (to me at least) about the relationship between subject and surroundings you get when using a longer focal length (like 80mm+) to obtain a 'standard' FOV. In the 35mm world a fast aperture lens like a Summilux or Noctilux will take you some way towards that look but it isn't the same (or as good:)).

I have owned a Hasselblad (501CM with standard lens) but didn't use it enough (just laziness) and somewhat regret selling it. I am always tempted to buy another. In fact, I'm even tempted sometimes (like today) to sell my Leica stuff and run with a combination of a DSLR for the prosaic (paid) stuff and a nice simple Hasselblad for my own personal use.

• Like 3

Ian, I don't know to what extent you have the Leica 'disease', but I feel bound to warn you that a 'simple Hasselblad', albeit for personal use, will not cure the itch. It is closely related, disease wise, to the the Leica itch. No known cure to man. The good news is, it is not fatal, so far as I know. The magic of what another lens can do, is real. :eek:

• Like 1

Actually the 'blad prices are on the rise albeit from a low point. The early V fit digital backs are falling into the affordable range and most of the pros have dumped stock now.

As older 500 series prices are creeping up, X-Pan and SWC prices are climbing steadily. As far as digital backs are concerned, it is worth giving careful thought to what you want to use it for and what do you realistically expect from it. Early backs from Ixpress (Imacon) and P1 are capable of producing great files but the trade-off can be against a slow, clunky, Heath-Robinson operation (I mean the digital back, here!) that is dependent upon unreliable cable links and inconvenient external storage such as an Image Bank or tethered shooting.

That sub £2k used 'bargain' to give your old V series a new lease of life can actually turn into a frustrating nightmare, because that is exactly what they were often like when they were new and state of the art!

I speak from personal experience. When the Ixpress V96C was introduced, I bought one on launch. Within a month and despite the quantum leap in file quality over what was then available from dslr's, the frustration of it's unreliability became too much and it was packed off whence it came for a full refund.

Frequently breaking cables along with condensation and mould-prone sensors are problems with cost issues.

P1 might be the better bet if you are thinking of going back that far.

Caveat Emptor.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hassy is one pleasure I only borrowed a few times. Thank goodness I do not own a set of that stuff now depreciated.

buy low, sell high, so now is the time to buy if you want.

Priced a SWC lately?

To answer the original question - two bodies, five backs, 38mm (that's the swc), 80mm, 50mm, 150mm, 500mm, and a few finders and set of hoods and filters. And for those who think prices are devaluating, I got 'em all cheaper than you can today.

Edited by pico

I used to have three, but now just have a SWC, which gets good usage on photos of interiors and some outdoor scenics benefiting from a wide view. The images are a significant step up from the M9's, but the gap is closing.

If the gap is closing you are messing up somewhere in the processing of the SWC.

• Like 1

I used to have three, but now just have a SWC, which gets good usage on photos of interiors and some outdoor scenics benefiting from a wide view. The images are a significant step up from the M9's, but the gap is closing.

If the gap is closing I would guess that you are comparing scanned SWC images with M9 images. The fault is in the digital workflow (or whomever is printing the SWC), not in the quality of the images.

Actually the 'blad prices are on the rise albeit from a low point. The early V fit digital backs are falling into the affordable range and most of the pros have dumped stock now.

At least I have GAS for a system I can afford to expand. I bought an excellent glass but well used 50/4 the other week for peanuts. I'm now eyeing up a third lens for landscape work and don't expect to pay much for it. I can understand why Hasselblad V system kit is so cheap - it is definitely an acquired taste and at these ridiculously low prices a guilty pleasure I don't mind indulging in.

LouisB

The SWC is awesome. It is not just the distortion free images but the colouration out of the lens. It is what sold me on expanding my MF work. I get consistently great results.

LouisB

.....I can understand why Hasselblad V system kit is so cheap - it is definitely an acquired taste and at these ridiculously low prices a guilty pleasure I don't mind indulging in.

Not because of being 'an acquired taste' but more attributable to being a redundant system for many professionals who, like myself have offloaded it. MF Pentaxes, Bronicas, Mamiyas and Rolleis have all gone the same way for the same reasons.

Good news for enthusiasts at the moment, but the supply of newish, lightly used mf gear will dry up. You are wise to get it now if you really want it.

FIIW, have 9 leica M bodies, five lenses the money-makers are Linhoff Super-Techicas and Hasselblads and a few super-wide 55x*cm super-wides. The Leicas make small change, albeit awesome images for second-choice - they win with this generation of 'editors', but not for the big bucks of LF or MF.

Wow, what a dream to make a living of a tech camera. How you sell your images, if I may ask?

Priced a SWC lately?

Not recently. In January, I decided to let Hasselblad replace the focus barrel as the powder coat paint was coming adrift. Thought the £200 cost would be a good investment.

A good decision, I suspect. ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Rolo

At least I have GAS for a system I can afford to expand. I bought an excellent glass but well used 50/4 the other week for peanuts. I'm now eyeing up a third lens for landscape work and don't expect to pay much for it. I can understand why Hasselblad V system kit is so cheap - it is definitely an acquired taste and at these ridiculously low prices a guilty pleasure I don't mind indulging in.

LouisB

Personally, I'd recommend the 50mm for landscapes. The 80mm is good too, but can be almost too sharp in some natural scenes (the eye sees verticals such as grass with greater acutance.)

Enjoy while they remain cheap!

Oh, and for tripod work I highly recommend using the system pre-fire lock (button under winder that flips up the mirror and opens the back flaps, allowing only the very still leaf shutter when you trip the shutter cord. And dinna forget there's a trick for shooting long exposures. Check out the lever by the shutter release. Here is the doc on those features. (I never use the O T feature. I'm just careful to wait for the shutter to finish.)

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Not recently. In January, I decided to let Hasselblad replace the focus barrel as the powder coat paint was coming adrift. Thought the £200 cost would be a good investment.

A good decision, I suspect. ;)

I see you also have the CV right angle finder for the SWC. It is very rare now, no?

I see you also have the CV right angle finder for the SWC. It is very rare now, no?

I believe it is becoming extremely rare. It took me 5 years to find one and I bought this in January 2010.

Since then, as with all things in short supply, I've seen a couple where the price has been almost $1,000. Be interesting to see if the price ever overtakes the value of the SWC.

The finder is beautifully made and crystal clear. Apparently the Boss of Cosina wanted an improved viewfinder for his personal SWC and commissioned this design. A second batch were made and they flew off the shelves. There's nothing I've come across in such short supply.

If you want one, let me know as I'm aware of one that's no longer used and it might come up for sale in the next 12 months. Mine's going nowhere. :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is what I like about this forum. Even though I though the thread would die after I requested it too, it kept going on in a very positive manner. Thanks to everyone that has posted helpful suggestions. My camera is not even here (Monday via UPS) and I have already learned more about it than I have by reading the manual that I downloaded from the internet. I just hope that this does not start another expensive hobby, I think my wife is starting to get suspicious.

Wayne

• Like 1