Waiting for the 350mm lens

JMacD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the meantime, I suggest you get an S-H adapter and the Hasselblad HC 300 mm f4.5 lens which works just fine on the S, with AF, Exif info etc., even leaf shutter. It is not excessively large or heavy and can be purchased at a reasonable price second hand (mine cost about 3000 Euro). In my view, an ideal solution for someone, like me, who needs a long focal length only occasionally, e.g. for safaris etc.

Another choice at a similar price point is the 300/2.8 APO Mamiya 645 lens.

Mamiya even made an excellent 2x TC for this lens.

Thanks, Dirk....I'm aware of those options....my question was really about where Leica is headed with the S system.  Of course they're not going to say, but I thought David F. might weigh in with whatever he is able to say, or guess, at this point, years after launch. 

I don't own the S (yet, that is...I have some terrific purchase options that have me close to pulling the trigger), but am looking into a system to complement my other gear.  Longer lenses are not the primary issue, but still one for me to consider.  For me, the S system has a lot to do with the S lenses....IQ, weather sealing, etc.  So I'm just curious about where things might be headed, especially now that the SL already has a seemingly superb long zoom. 

Jeff

Jeff, it is unfortunately highly unlikely one will get any information about any plans in terms of road map Leica products ever.

This is just how the company seems to operate.

There were rumors or even half announcement back when Leica needed the world to believe how serious they were when introducing a brand new MFD system. It seems not delivering on their stirred expectations in regards of long lenses did not harm them in their results in building a fantastic new system and selling it.

I wouldn't hold my breath for any product Leica S I would wish for (I too would be highly interested in something like a Leica 400/4 S or 300/2.8 + TCs, drop in polarizer, weather sealing, proper mount/grip solution, accessory lens hood (please re-invent the wheel - current established solutions from Canon/Nikon are the benchmark here).

The point is that current solutions in long lenses from Canon/Nikon are simply so good and high tech, I would be veeeeeeeery reluctant buying a Leica super telephoto when I can get an equivalent for my Nikon system at the same price point for a camera body, much better suited for this long lens shooting than the Leica S.

I believe this is the single one main reason why Leica is not moving forward, betting huge amounts of budget and effort on a lens that may not be a financial success out the gate (and would very likely increase their handful of quality related homework, which seems a plate or two high stacked already with current production items).

I too am using long lenses on the Leica S2 not often and even for that purpose the current solutions are very, very well suited.

You have from each major modern medium format system long lenses which perform on a very high level, some of those fitting even already beautifully to current Leica S lenses (performance wise).

On many price levels are offerings in the 300mm range - you get the few hundred USD solutions up to 4-5K USD solutions depending on which functionality you need.

You get weather sealing on each and every one of those solutions by means of carrying a few spare thin trash bags and electrician tape (don't scoff, I even do this when shooting in the rain with my weather sealed Nikon long lenses if the forecast means several hours out in the rain. The usual quick shower or drizzle is easily handled by lenses as recent as for example the modern Mamiya APO lenses and do no harm if used sensibly.

As I mentioned - I wouldn't hold my breath and certainly not expect any factual word from any insider or dealer - won't be happening.

• Like 1

That's consistent with much of my thinking, but can't hurt to ask...and at least generate some discussion.   I especially agree with super tele lenses....I'd sooner buy a Canon system, which I have contemplated.  But I would be nice if the S lineup at least went to 250 and/or offered a top notch 1.4x converter.  Meanwhile, what exists is terrific (except for some QC issues) and, as I wrote, not a deal breaker as I consider options.  I appreciate the feedback.

Jeff

• Like 3

I agree, there is a serious hole in the Leica S line-up. I am not talking about a tele or super-tele for wildlife or sports. Here Canikon rules. But for landscapes or even portraits it sometimes is necessary to have something more than 180mm. And I am reluctant to buy the Hasselblad 350mm because I would like to have something which draws like the other family members of Leica S lenses.

Still waiting for a 280mm (to mention a typical Leica FL), at least. Hope never dies.

Edited by siddhaarta

Still waiting for a 280mm (to mention a typical Leica FL), at least. Hope never dies.

Well, on the S, that would represent a 224mm FOV....a 350 would equate to your 280 FOV.  But I agree with your point....a nice 250mm (200 FOV on the S) would be nice.  Even a 1.4x converter would get allow the 180 to approximate a 250.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I asked myself also why they didn't make at least a 1,4 converter.

But maybe because there is no point anymore to make one with such a perfect acuity of Leica S lenses. I feel, photos are perfectly useable at 100% magnification. So it would only make sense if you crop very aggressively.

This to me also throws a big question mark.

Leica did produce great high quality tele converters for their famous range of telephoto lenses for the R system.

Other makers as Carl Zeiss or Schneider Kreuznach, Nikon, Canon, Mamiya, Pentax have produced fantastic tele converters.

I find the addition of the Carl Zeiss Mutar 1.4x to the 210mm Sonnar in Contax mount absolutely brilliant - it extends the range of a solid 210mm lens further and is perfectly usable.

I am sure people who would like longer lenses would use a 1.4x teleconverter with the 180mm S lens instead of trying legacy lenses to extend reach.

It is also most often great to simply throw a small TC into the bag instead of yet another lens.

I asked myself also why they didn't make at least a 1,4 converter.

But maybe because there is no point anymore to make one with such a perfect acuity of Leica S lenses. I feel, photos are perfectly useable at 100% magnification. So it would only make sense if you crop very aggressively.

You can always use an 280/4 APO-Telyt with the 1.4x APO Extender on a Lei-Ko R lens to S mount adapter plate. Here's a shot of the band of the Irish Guards playing at the Goodwood Revival last year.

S(006) 280/4 APO R + 1.4 x APO Extender - LR 5.5 - Hand held at 1/350th sec

Full frame and crop of detail on drummer's medal and buttons

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I feel that a longer FL lens is inevitable. The trick is designing one that delivers the expected stellar performance but doesn't weigh a ton. A slower lens is reasonable now that the 007 can produce great files at ISO 1600 and this will give the designers a bit more latitude...

Albert ;)  :)  :)  

You can always use an 280/4 APO-Telyt with the 1.4x APO Extender on a Lei-Ko R lens to S mount adapter plate. 

Question: This lens on the S (with the Lei-Ko adapter) focuses to infinity without physical adjustments to the lens?

How does a Hasselblad lens work on it? Do we lock the lens on B and, of course work in stopped down mode?

It doesn't matter what you set the lens shutter to (assuming it's a C/CF/CFi/CFE) lens, because the adapter doesn't provide a means to trigger that shutter. As long as the lens is properly cocked, the shutter will be open anyway.

For an F/FE lens (no shutter), that obviously isn't a concern.

Obviously, you do need to use the lens in stopped-down mode.

Question: This lens on the S (with the Lei-Ko adapter) focuses to infinity without physical adjustments to the lens?

That's really quite impressive performance (even moreso because it was hand-held). How does it do in the corners?

The 280/4 APO alone focusses to about 20-25m. If you add the 1.4x APO Extender, it goes to infinity.

Here's a crop of some WW2 warplanes over Goodwood last year. 280/4 plus 1.4x APO hand held

• Like 1

The 280/4 APO alone focusses to about 20-25m. If you add the 1.4x APO Extender, it goes to infinity.

Thanks for the info. I will have a look at this combo. Strange that only the Extender-Combo reaches infinity.

Did you ask Leica to adapt the focus throw for the 280?

Thanks for the info. I will have a look at this combo. Strange that only the Extender-Combo reaches infinity.

Did you ask Leica to adapt the focus throw for the 280?

I spoke to Andrea at Wetzlar. I was going to send mine in, but then realised that I might want to use the lens . The 280/4 focus extends way beyond infinity on my copy

Edited by topoxforddoc

That's really quite impressive performance (even moreso because it was hand-held). How does it do in the corners?

Here's another handheld 280/4 plus 1.4x APO shot on the S(006) - this time, my friend Charles Knill-Jones preparing to race a Bugatti at Goodwood

Full frame with centre and corner crops