LTM users, its time to stand up and be counted!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No not kidding. I cannot remember which model but Leica sold at least one M mount lens (maybe the 21 Angulon) which was converted by gluing on an LTM to M ring and fixing it in place with a grub screw. I did not know if they did that as an interim measure in 1953/54, when they might have had a surplus of LTM lenses. The downside is that the LTM lenses only ever focus to 1 meter. 

Wilson

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are LTM prices dropping? When I was putting a recently acquired 35mm/f2.8 Summaron on my IIF, I noticed a tiny bit of thread hanging off where the tape is stitched to one of the shutter curtains. I will send this to Malcolm Taylor in the autumn with my 50/1.5 Summarit for service. I could send it to the service guy in Nice but until I get my Model II back from him, where he is doing a standard CLA, he is an unknown quantity. My IIF is the most precious to me of all my old Leicas, as it is the only one of my father's cameras, that I have. I therefore wanted another "user" LTM camera, with a nice bright RF like my Reid & Sigrist. I found a mint IIIg at just over £400. Its shutter speeds are accurate apart from 1 second which is a tiny bit but not much slow (about 1¼ seconds, which with use, may well pick up). The only very minor fault I can find is that the focus lever on the rangefinder is a little stiff. The RF is bright, clear and accurate, with horizontal and vertical alignment at infinity, spot on. This was not a private sale but from a German dealer. I am sure just a few years ago I would have had to pay £700 or more for a camera in this condition.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Are LTM prices dropping? When I was putting a recently acquired 35mm/f2.8 Summaron on my IIF, I noticed a tiny bit of thread hanging off where the tape is stitched to one of the shutter curtains. I will send this to Malcolm Taylor in the autumn with my 50/1.5 Summarit for service. I could send it to the service guy in Nice but until I get my Model II back from him, where he is doing a standard CLA, he is an unknown quantity. My IIF is the most precious to me of all my old Leicas, as it is the only one of my father's cameras, that I have. I therefore wanted another "user" LTM camera, with a nice bright RF like my Reid & Sigrist. I found a mint IIIg at just over £400. Its shutter speeds are accurate apart from 1 second which is a tiny bit but not much slow (about 1¼ seconds, which with use, may well pick up). The only very minor fault I can find is that the focus lever on the rangefinder is a little stiff. The RF is bright, clear and accurate, with horizontal and vertical alignment at infinity, spot on. This was not a private sale but from a German dealer. I am sure just a few years ago I would have had to pay £700 or more for a camera in this condition.

Wilson

There are some signs of softening in the market which was quite overheated four or five years ago. Collectiblend graphs show a flattening or a slight downward curve in most cases rather than a dramatic fall. Genuine rarities (the IIIg is only somewhat rare) will still fetch high prices. For anyone looking to buy as an investment now is a good time to buy while the market is somewhat down. It is also a good time for users to buy as there is value to be had in the market.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 1

Sadly the only people who might benefit from any investment value of my collection of Leicas, are likely to be my kids. I don't intend to sell any until I am pushing up the daisies.  :)

Wilson

• 2 months later...

Please do count me in as of today :D

IIIf RD, 1953

[ M9; Apo 90 ASPH; ISO 400 ]

By the way, until today I would have subscribed to traditional wisdom that my M3's 0.91x finder is best for framing 50 mm lenses. That was, until I looked through the SBOOI with both eyes wide open! :)

• Like 7

The SBOOI is great. I use one on my 0 series replica. It is hugely better than the horrible lensed wire frame finder Leica supply, which my eyes are incapable of using at all (or my arms are too short). I also use a SBLOO with my 35mm Summaron. Again a great finder. 

Wilson

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

When i read in this thread i really do not understand how some people manage to trade in som leica lenses för others, having only one or two bodys and two or three lenses. I am not capable of doing so, may be a symptom of serious mental illness caused by a Leica virus? I have not been able to sell Leica lenses or body´s very often (only when i have surplus or buy one in better shape than my previous) so there is plenty of them at my home by now.

If i am looking back at the development of this Leica syndrom, i find, that there are several stages, at least in my case. The beginning ist to have one Leica body and one lens. you feel the need for another lens, and then one more and so on. you find a little equipment with 3 lenses, you buy. You find out that some bodys are cheap and in need of CLA, you buy and send them in for CLA.

Stage two is, when you have, may be, 10 bodys and 12 lenses, you feel the need to buy equipment in very good shape, mint or mint minus, may be with box. This is really nice, but often rather expensive.

Then, after several years of collecting for me the Leica syndrome moved on, i found it exeptional exciting to set up an equipment in its historical context, hunting for lenses and bodys of a certain year of production and hunting for gear with documented history.

The equipment i show here is solely from 1940 with exeption for the Xenon mounted on the IIIb. Here i have to compromise, it is from 1939. 1940 Xenons seem to be very hard to find. I purchased the camera in germany from the son of the second owner which was closely related to the first one. The first owner was not a nice person, you may understand what i mean with regard to germany during the war times, but he treated his employees well and gave the camera to his driver for free. Lens and body came in not working condition and i got them rather cheap, but together with som documentation of its history.

I have some skills in CLA (former Canon employee) so i took them apart and cleaned the lens an body surfaces. The camera worked after the treatment without further adjusting. It seemed to me that the body and the Summitar never have been used since the second owner took over. The body is clearly a close to mint IIIb and the lens is at least exc ++.

It took about a year to come over the other lenses. all af them are in the 54xxxx to 56xxxx range of serial numbers. Elmar 3,5 an 9 cm and the Hektor 2,8 cm still have the Bakelit lens caps, the 9 cm has a rear cap in black enamel brass. I do not know whether this is original or not. The Elamr 3,5 and 5 cm are a bit foggy, but the other lenses are crystal clear. The funniest thing is, that i purchased the 2,8 cm at one of europes most expensive dealer together with the finder for a really good price, never seen it so cheap before and since.  A Hektor 13,5 cm is on the way to me.

Now i am hunting a genuine Leather case ETNEU or ETMAX or something like this. If one of you have one for sale or know about one in good shape at some dealers shelf please let me know.

• Like 5

The other folk who made some lovely cases are Dollond. This company is still just about in existence but as a high street optician owned I think by Boots the Chemist, called Dollond and Aitchison. Dollond were a very old established top end camera dealer and I think also telescope and camera maker. As the name has disappeared from the consciousness of most Leica enthusiasts, their cases can be picked up for very little money. I have recently bought one from Red Dot, which I will pick up when I get back to the UK. This is a beautiful top opening small luggage type case in leather, all fitted out for a screwmount Leica, lenses, CEYOO flash and other accessories. It came with its two original brass keys and is in excellent condition. I paid £35 for it, less than I would have to pay for a tatty ERC. 

Wilson

I worked for Dollond & Aitchison in Leeds for about a year around 1962, as a photo salesman. I actually bought a IIf when I worked there, but then traded it for a Pentax S1a which was a lot easier to use for the motor racing photography I was doing 'on the side'.

Took me another 6 years to 'save up' and trade the Pentaxes for M3s.

Gerry

• Like 1

I worked for Dollond & Aitchison in Leeds for about a year around 1962, as a photo salesman. I actually bought a IIf when I worked there, but then traded it for a Pentax S1a which was a lot easier to use for the motor racing photography I was doing 'on the side'.

Took me another 6 years to 'save up' and trade the Pentaxes for M3s.

Gerry

I will try and remember to post a picture of the Dollond case when I collect it in October. 

Wilson

• 2 months later...

Toys for boys ;-)

[ Early LYKAN + unnumbered ELMAR + FIKUS + VOOLA + APDOO ]

(image cross-posted in German forum)

• Like 7

"Autofocus" unplugged :-))

The text roughly translates as "The new Leica Model II - just by setting the rangefinder, focus is achieved a u t o m a t i c a l l y with all lenses. Maximum readiness for shooting!"

• Like 4

Leica I from 1925/26 upgraded to Leica II

later coated Summar

;)

• Like 6

From top view

• Like 6

I Model A No 1783 from 1926

I will be doing an article soon with pictures taken with this 91 year old camera.

William

• Like 7

How many megapixels is it  :p

Its funny you should ask that, Wilson. I have done a comparison between the output from this from camera from 1926 and that of an M10 from 2017. The article should go online in the next few days and I will post a link here. The output from both is very comparable, even allowing for film scans done at a local camera shop etc.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 2

How many megapixels is it  :p

Hello Wilson,

If I remember correctly Kodachrome 64 is 16+ megapixels in a Leica A.

I think that a lot of the apparent improvement in image quality in photos done with digital cameras has to do with the tightening up of tolerances in cameras & lenses because of the image capture surface of the digital sensor being very thin.

When film is used with these tightened up of tolerances cameras & lenses the increases in image quality are also seen there.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Hello Wilson,

If I remember correctly Kodachrome 64 is about 25 megapixels.

I think that a lot of the apparent improvement in image quality in photos done with digital cameras has to do with the tightening up of tolerances in cameras & lenses because of the image capture surface of the digital sensor being very thin.

When film is used with these tightened up of tolerances cameras & lenses the increases in image quality are also seen there.

Best Regards,

Michael

I used Portra 160 with this camera, but then I got the negatives scanned, which further blurs the pixel equation. There are two major aspects to image quality. One of these is the objective absolute perfection of pixel definition etc and the other is the subjective look of a photograph. My article comparing the I Model A with the M10 will show some photos of the same subject matter by both cameras. Opinions will vary as to which is better. What will be clear, however, is that Leicas were capable of producing very nice photos from the very beginning, particularly with the little gem that was the 50mm Elmar lens. This, as much as anything else, was responsible for creating the Leica legend.

William

• Like 1