LTM users, its time to stand up and be counted!

• 3 weeks later...

My first screw mount.

I'm told it's a 1933 Black and Nickel iii Serial 123969

Elmar 35mm f3.5, no serial. Only mark is the number 280 on the barrel.

Previous owner tells me the lens is around 1932-3

Put a couple of rolls through it yesterday, souping now..

27730064026_048db59a7f_b.jpgNew toy by Trevor, on Flickr

• Like 6

My first screw mount.

I'm told it's a 1933 Black and Nickel iii Serial 123969

Elmar 35mm f3.5, no serial. Only mark is the number 280 on the barrel.

Previous owner tells me the lens is around 1932-3

Put a couple of rolls through it yesterday, souping now..

27730064026_048db59a7f_b.jpgNew toy by Trevor, on Flickr

The lens is likely to be from a non standardised I Model C from 1930 or 1931. These would be the last 3 digits from the camera serial number and the lens would have been matched to the body. The lens may have been standardised and, if so, there may be a '0' somewhere on the base. The lens also has an 11 O'Clock infinity setting. When the III was introduced, it was supplied with a 7 O'Clock lens in order to clear the slow speed dial.

Enjoy your camera. It seems to be in very nice condition.

William

• Like 1

The lens is likely to be from a non standardised I Model C from 1930 or 1931. These would be the last 3 digits from the camera serial number and the lens would have been matched to the body. The lens may have been standardised and, if so, there may be a '0' somewhere on the base. The lens also has an 11 O'Clock infinity setting. When the III was introduced, it was supplied with a 7 O'Clock lens in order to clear the slow speed dial.

Enjoy your camera. It seems to be in very nice condition.

William

William, thanks so much. Great to know a bit more about my new toy. Cannot find an 0 anywhere on the lens.

Yes, I'm really enjoying it.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a 1951 IIIf.  Every once in a while I take it out and shoot some film with it, or take pictures of it, as here.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

No photo because I am impatiently waiting for my Leica III to come back from overhaul by Malcolm Taylor.  It had one owner before me and has probably not been used since his death in 1958. It was the property of Brigadier General Andrew Hamilton Gault. At his own expense, he raised the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, the last privately raised regiment in the British Empire. The camera was in very clean condition but with an incredibly worn and scuffed ever-ready case, no doubt the result of stuffing it into odd spaces in his Leopard Moth and Vega Gull during tours of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East either piloting himself or with his wife in charge of the aircraft. His life was so extraordinary that I commend you to look it up of the 'net. After its overhaul, its active life should exceed mine by a long way and perhaps it will still be going strong in 2098 when it will be twice as old as now. It was, according to Malcolm, last overhauled in 1954 (presumably in Canada) by a firm or individual with the initials WH. Does anyone know who that might have been?

This was the first time that I have bought from an auction without inspecting beforehand. I recognised the name, Lt Col A Hamilton Gault, inscribed on the camera case, and I realised that the auction in Crewkerne was close to his former home Hatch Court. His wife returned there from Canada in 1958 after her husband's death. I could not resist it and, although I intend to make full use of it, I shall make sure that its next owner is fully aware of its past. It is now nearly seven in the morning here and the postman won't be here for another couple of hours. That's a hell of a long time to wait!

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No photo because I am ...

Fascinating story and one that will ring whenever you use the camera. Often with old cameras one is often curious as to its previous life and you knowing that of yours makes it that more special to you. whishing you much pleasure with your new camera, and welcome to the forum!

Regards

Charles

Edited by Bateleur

• Like 2

Hello William,

There is rarely a tripod or a ballhead that is "too big" for a camera/lens combination. The question usually is: Are 1 or both too small?

Don't forget a substantial cable release.

And a rigid lens hood of adequate (or larger) size. More for protection from inadvertent impact or/& damage than for flare suppression.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Dear Nordvik

Very nice, but please tell me that you bought that tripod for a bigger camera! I am beginning to feel a bit inadequate about my own tripod.

William

I ordered a smaller ball head (the same as is sold as Leica 38), but got this gigantic one. It is overkill for a LTM og M-camera. It was a eBay purchase via Sweden, and it is too much paperwork and trouble to exchange it as I live outside of EU.

Thanks Nordvik and Michael. I rarely use a tripod anyway, particularly with Leicas, but I do have a smallish lightweight carbon fibre one for absolute emergencies. I use it once or twice a year at most.

William

It was, according to Malcolm, last overhauled in 1954 (presumably in Canada) by a firm or individual with the initials WH. Does anyone know who that might have been?

Do please post a photo of the camera when you receive it back.

WH could be Wallace Heaton, which would seem quite possible - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_Heaton

• Like 1

Here a IIIF red dial self timer and a 1958 IIIG. 

Screw-mount lenses: 1953 Summicron 50, 1939 Elmar 90, 1960 Summaron 35 and a 1935 Thambar 90. 

I love them all but I don't use them much, in one way or the other I most likely reach out to the M6 or M3 when I'd like to shoot film (besides my 4x5 workhorse). Once in a while I carefully use the Thambar for some lovely portraits. 

I am glad to see there is a live community of screw mount Leica collectors and users!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Leica screw mount collectors.  Just a reminder that if you are a member of LHSA - The International Leica Society, you are entitled to a 15% discount on SM repairs at Leica US.

You can join at the website, www.lhsa.org

If you are already a member and need a repair please contact the LHSA Executive Director, Richard Rejino (contact information on the website) and he will get you the form you need.

Alas, I disposed of my first leica, a IIIc, many years ago, and exchanged my IIIg for a Nikon Sp, so I stand guilty of just keeping an infrequently used M6 , no LTMs.

Digital killed off my chemical darkroom. I kept the PanatomicX and FP3 negatives though. They confirm that the ancient Summaron 35, collapsible Summicron 50 and the 90 did perform as expected on the thread-mount bodies.

p. 

• 5 months later...

My newest arrival. lightly used Leica iii in beautiful condition. Looks like the lugs have been replaced with steel

Ones.

• Like 8

Mine is a Leica IIIb. I usually use it with an Industar-22 5cm f/3.5 collapsible (lucky to get a good one) and a Voigtlander VC II light meter.

My other lenses are a Leitz Elmar 9cm, Kobalux 28mm f/3.5, Voigtlander Ultron 35mm f/1.7, Voigtlander 75mm f/2.5 and Canon 135mm f/3.5

8636172368_165509cc4f_h.jpgLeica IIIb with 9cm Elmar

• Like 6

I have just sent my 1© standard and III with 5cm Hektor off to Alan Starkie at Cameraworks. The 1© needs recovering after a previous repairer though it was a good idea to paint the damaged bits of the vulcanite with gloss black enamel. Alan has some nice textured calf, which I actually prefer to vulcanite. The III needs more work than I realised. The top tape is detaching from one curtain, which I had not spotted. In addition someone has touched in some of the brassed areas with lumpy matt black paint, which so far does not dissolve in anything to remove it. The RF needs cleaning and a new mirror. The Hektor is very dusty and I would guess will have a lubricant film over the middle groups either side of the diaphragm. 

Alan has very kindly offered to send me FOC a pair of mirrors for my CL. One he has cut himself from half silvered stock and a salvaged one from another CL. I will see if Kelvin or Protech can fit these locally or if the CL will have to go to Alan for fitting. 

Other LTM's I have are a model II, a IIF and a Reid and Sigrist. I have the ultimate 50mm lens, which is the 1999 anniversary chrome Summitar in LTM. 

Wilson