process at home?

dchalfon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm processing my B/W always by my self. I have only problems with the hard water in my area. I'm using also a JOBO Mistral 2 dryer, which I modified with a Nilfiks filter on top. Since then I have no big trouble with dust. Only the chalk is a remaining problem. :(

Develop my own and make my own two bath developers. I prefer to screw up my own film rather than give it to someone else.

The cine is nice - beautiful cinema noir effects, the speed trap horrible.

Noel

Noel I tried the 'speed trap' film but all the images had the rear end of vehicles in them!

I'll stick with my Double-X & Orwo N74. ;)

Hi Andy

The speed trap film (I got) is APX400S, this is on a PET base and is designed for on camera flash, so is narrow scale and does not have sufficient anti halation backing, for the PET light piping. The fog level (of my batch) is high & when I get time I'll try anti fog agents.

It is only usable on dull days, i.e. most of the time in UK.

It was cheap.

Do have lots of cine stock as well.

Noel

I'm processing my B/W always by my self. I have only problems with the hard water in my area. I'm using also a JOBO Mistral 2 dryer, which I modified with a Nilfiks filter on top. Since then I have no big trouble with dust. Only the chalk is a remaining problem. :(

I had a similar problem, and finally got a water distiller. It makes a gallon of distilled water in three hours. I have ten gallon tank I maintain full of the water. I use it for the chemistry and for a final rinse with photoflow 1:200. It makes all the difference in the world.

Hard water is superior for washing because the minerals bind to chemistry to carry it away, and the final soak in distilled water then takes the hard water away.

Highly recommended!

• Like 1

Put a Brita filter in the water system or use their cans with Brita filter. It's an Anion- Kation filter with a Carbon filter. All problems solved. One cardtrige can make 80-100 ltrs. of water (21-26 Gallon). I am developing all kind of formats films, 35mm, 120 roll film etc. in B&W and C41. For C41 I have a Jobo CPA-2 with elevator. For B&W I am using the Heiland TAS inverse film processor.

• Like 1

An alternative is to buy deionised water. That's what I used to do in France and the UK.

If I'd have been using a lot I would have thought about a distiller, but for my needs I was happy with buying it - and it wasn't expensive. Available from many supermarkets and car accessory shops

Best buy here is Makro (Aro) 5ltr. Eur. 2,00 (excl. VAT). So maybe OK when using 5 ltr. a month. But at the moment I am alsmost using 20 ltr. a week.

And on the moment you need it: The can is (almost) empty :(

Well if you use it twice it cuts the $ by x2, retain the water after 1st use, the use it on 2nd film then discard, then use new bath of fresh water on 2nd film, retain this 2nd bath for 1st bath of next (3rd film) film. If you have lots of CaCO3 particulates I'd filter the bath after 1st use.

It is easier to do than explain, you can do this with fix as well, but you need to be more careful.

But I moved to soft water area, simpler.

Noel

I will try a small Britta filter first

Use their Maxtra filter system. They are the best.

And just fake your wife for a nice drink of water and buy a fancy can for her. In offer 3+1 filters (4) for a small price now.

You can find them in the most household stores in Holland. Otherwise you can order it from their headquarters in Eindhoven.

• Like 1

I also process my own. It really is fairly simple and I like the control.

I like the reward of shooting the picture and producing the finished product myself. To me it's all part of the process.

That's why I like to play with film.

I am processing all my film and prints in B&W and color.

C41 is also not really difficult. If you have a simple processor with acurate temperature control you will produce first class color negatives too.