Point & Shoot camera

Justshot

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok, the Minilux is prone to the shutter error, but it is still relatively cheap on the used market. The CM is great, and I use one, but it cannot be repaired by Leica at all and is, outside of the Ricoh GR21, the most expensive P&S I can think of. Keep that in mind. I believe the Minilux can still be repaired by Leica.

Hi jsrockit, you meant the CM cannot be repaired if needed?:confused:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi jsrockit, you meant the CM cannot be repaired if needed?:confused:

That is correct. I had one recently that had issues and I e-mailed them and they said they no longer service the CM and all they could offer me was a discounted DL4. Luckily I was able to return my CM to who I bought it from. The Minilux, I believe, can still be serviced for the E02 error.

I'm not so sure the Minilux Zoom model had the E02 error... maybe that could be a possibility?

Edited by jsrockit

What's that reason and what does it have to do with the OP's question?

It was an olbique reference to the fact that Leica currently makes P&S digital cameras for amature photographers and that the previous generation of Leica film P&S cameras were for amatures, not repairable and really not worth purchasing, then and now.

As to the OP's question, hopefully someone will point him away from the film P&S to something else that will be more viable in the long run. Cameras that can't readily be repaired using a medium that is decreasing in sales every year are not for an amature.-Dick

As to the OP's question, hopefully someone will point him away from the film P&S to something else that will be more viable in the long run. Cameras that can't readily be repaired using a medium that is decreasing in sales every year are not for an amature.-Dick

:D:D:D:D

You must be joking! You are joking?

It was an olbique reference to the fact that Leica currently makes P&S digital cameras for amature photographers and that the previous generation of Leica film P&S cameras were for amatures.

I'm not so sure this is accurate. Sure, there are a lot more amateurs than pros, but pros do use these P&S cameras as well. Plus, pro just means you make money doing your photography... it doesn't mean it is necessarily good.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys, if I am reading correctly, it is not advisable to get a P&S Leica film camera and should just get the digital ones.

Well, I started looking for the film camera because wanted something compact and full frame. I don't have to worry about focusing and just use it to capture the moment when I am out with my kids. I could also pass it to my wife or kids so they could snap pictures of me. I believe most of you would agree that we do not appear in the pictures with our family as often as we should have been. Most of the time, we are behind the camera...

As for shoots where there are no physically running, or chances of breaking my camera, I use the M9 wiht the noctilux. For landscapes, I use my trusty sumilux 35mm ASPH. However, when I am shooting my kids running or playing sports, I use my canon 1D mark 3, with the 300mm 2.8L IS. Not trying to show off my gears here, but I believe using the right equipment for the right purpose.

I hope the above explains my quest for a P&S camera.... :)

Thanks David for sharing your pictures. They looked great.

I am looking for something that lasts, thus if the E02 is going to happen, and will happen, I would give it a miss :(

Justshot, the EO2 error occurs only on the Minilux, not the Mini 3 (or other point and shoots, as far as I know). I do have a spare Mini 3, btw...

It was an olbique reference to the fact that Leica currently makes P&S digital cameras for amature photographers and that the previous generation of Leica film P&S cameras were for amatures, not repairable and really not worth purchasing, then and now.

Surely it's premature not to mention immature to attack the poor old amatures!? :D

Actually, I don't think such a thing as a point and shoot digital camera exists. All of them are mini computers and most are festooned with umpteen modes, menus and settings.

In comparison, the Mini 3 film camera is a true point and shoot, and probably one of the most minimalist, simplest and fuss-free cameras ever made. Truly an exemplar of simplicity!

-- four buttons on the top-plate (on/off, shutter, self-timer, mode (for flash and infinity setting), and LCD (film counter, flash and infinity setting indicator).

-- one tiny button on side to activate rewind before film has finished if needed.

-- battery compartment on bottom (battery lasts for ages).

-- door release on back (otherwise backplate is totally uncluttered).

-- no lens cover (prone to fingerprints or damage, but in practice no problem, makes it faster to use).

I let anyone use one of my M7's if a need a picture of myself and someone else, with or without a flash (SF24D) on it. All I have to do is prefocus, tell them where to stand, look through the finder and how to press the button (I do use Motor M's so they don't have to wind). Should be very similiar to your M9.

I would think you could easily do that with your M9 and save yourself the expense of purchasing a film camera and having film developed when you already possess an M9.

Sorry to offend the rest of the Forum but the Leica film P&S cameras were targeted at amature photographers, not that there is anything wrong with being an amature but they are not built to the standards that I need for my work. Leica will repair my M7's but I don't believe they will repair the film P&S cameras. EOT-Dick

Justshot, perhaps think about a Panasonic GF1 if you are considering a digital compact?

Hi jsrockit, I have tested my friend's GF1 during our trip and I easily convinced her to sell it off the next day. What do you think of my opinion of GF1?:p

I have got the Mini 3 from David and waiting for it's arrival. Will post pictures here to share later :D

Hi jsrockit, I have tested my friend's GF1 during our trip and I easily convinced her to sell it off the next day. What do you think of my opinion of GF1?:p

Fair enough. If you don't like the GF1, you won't like any compact digital. You made the right choice then...