M8 NJ to Solms and back?

gesper

Hmm, Dec. 7. If you believe in omens, that's Pearl Harbor Day...

I sent mine to NJ on the 8th, and haven't heard a word. I sent my lenses to NJ to be coded on Nov. 28, and I got back receipts, one for each of the five lenses, that said the turn around time from Dec. 6 (the day the order was put through for the repair) would be "two-three weeks." If it's three weeks, it'll take a bit more than a month to turn around the lens coding; I can't imagine why. I wonder if they actually take off the ring, mill it, paint it, and then put it back on the lens, rather than just having a bin full of coded rings that they change out...

In any case, with much of Germany going on vacation this week, and not coming back until Jan. 2, I don't expect to see my camera before the middle of January at the earliest; the only hope would be to slip under the wire for the repair, and have it shipped back later this week..

JC

Mine was sent FedEx overnight to NJ and arrived on the 6th. I sent an email asking them to let me know if they received it, and they said it would go to Germany on the 7th. Yesterday, I received a Service Receipt confirming it was sent on the 7th. It has a space entitled "Priority" where it shows "4-5 weeks." Probably about right.

By the way, has anyone been reimbursed for the cost of sending it to NJ? Mine cost $138for overnight from Chicago with $5,000 insurance. Also, to give me $5,000 in insurance, they required me to repack it in a huge box so it would have at least six inches of padding on each side.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I sent mine back on November 9th or something, and I live in Berlin, 300km from Solms. They *are* fast-tracking these repairs, but they are a small company. My camera still isn't back. I hope I will get it today.

Are you shure it was the 9th of November? I have send mine back to Solms on December the 8th, a little bit more than one week ago. I was told, that I can expect the camera to be sent back this week. So including the time on the road, not more than two weeks.

Jens

I sent mine back way before this all blew sky-high. My M8 had infinity focus problems. They apparently fixed that, and then wanted to hold on to it until they knew what to fix and how. Then they started that work. I expected to be one of the first group to get the camera back, given that it went there before this whole thing, and I don't know what the problem is. I will ask my store today to call and get me an actual reason. My store has been super-supportive and call every week to ask what's up.

Another data point. My camera arrived new with a jammed shutter and left for Leica from the dealer on 11/15. I was assured of expedited service by Mr. Fisk, and the dealer statused me 12 days ago that Leica said I would receive mine back before any of the second wave was delivered. So far, no camera. - Eric

Well, my lens came back... I sent M8 and 50 Lux Asph to them, and the lens is done. The M8 is apparently in QS (quality 'surance?) right now and might be back very soon. They are moving slowly, getting it right, apparently. A second recall would be awful at this point in time.