Can you back up from Fotos?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is it possible to back up from the app?

I’m going to be travelling for six weeks and don’t want to carry a laptop. 

I’d like to use my iPhone 15 Pro Max 1 TB to take the images off the camera but then I’ve no obvious means to back them up somewhere either on line or physically. 

Suggestions welcome. 👍🏻

Photos that are loaded into the Leica app are automatically saved in the Photos app on the iPhone. If you have Lightroom mobile on the iPhone, you can set it so that LR automatically imports all photos from the iPhone Photos app and then uploads them to the cloud. That's how I do it on the go. However, the success depends on the quality of the Wi-Fi in the hotel.

• Like 1

But however: If you import the phone as DNG from the camera to the phone with the "Fotos-App" they are stored in the camera roll, but not deleted from the SD-card. So you have a backup. Storing them online is not really needed, as this would be the third copy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elmars said:

Photos that are loaded into the Leica app are automatically saved in the Photos app on the iPhone. If you have Lightroom mobile on the iPhone, you can set it so that LR automatically imports all photos from the iPhone Photos app and then uploads them to the cloud. That's how I do it on the go. However, the success depends on the quality of the Wi-Fi in the hotel.

And they will be imported automatically into your desktop Lightroom. I find that Wifi is not really needed if you have 5G on your phone. 

8 hours ago, jaapv said:

And they will be imported automatically into your desktop Lightroom. I find that Wifi is not really needed if you have 5G on your phone. 

4G would be nice in rural New Zealand…! 🤔

We’ll be on a series of cruises starting in NYC and ending in Rome via Iceland etc so who knows what I’ll get! I certainly won’t be paying for much internet on the ships though at $20/day. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, elmars said:

Will it allow you to file them separately from the trash images I take with the phone?

I don’t really use Photos a great deal other than as a source to email snapshots to family. 

Posted (edited)
vor 9 Stunden schrieb Kiwimac:

Will it allow you to file them separately from the trash images I take with the phone?

There is automatically a separate folder with the Leica photos.

I think it would be even better if you could import directly from the Leica app into Lightroom. I have also spoken to Leica about this. They are open to the topic, but they depend on Adobe.

Edited by elmars
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2024 at 11:54 PM, Kiwimac said:

Is it possible to back up from the app?

I’m going to be travelling for six weeks and don’t want to carry a laptop. 

I’d like to use my iPhone 15 Pro Max 1 TB to take the images off the camera but then I’ve no obvious means to back them up somewhere either on line or physically. 

Suggestions welcome. 👍🏻

You should be able to export the files by connecting an SSD drive to your iPhone of iPad with the appropriate cable. I just tested it on my iPad with a SanDisk 2TB SSD drive. I seemed to be able to do it from both Fotos and the Photo app. The SSD drive shows up in your files app. I used the Export Unmodified Original option.  

• Like 1