D-Lux 3: Initial views and results

Guest malland

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Any chance that you'd like to share your Noise Ninja profiles?

—Mitch/Bangkok

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Of course Mitch - send me an email to me at macgarvin AT modus-vivendi.co.uk - I did check on the NN website for uploading them, but it seemed that they wanted jpgs, and as I had done a profile for RAW, JPG fine and JPG standard for all ISOs, and as I am stuck without broadband, that would take ages - but the profiles are tiny files, and I'm happy for them to be circulated without limitation

Hi

Yes, I'd be interested in the Ninja profiles too. I'm on day 2 of testing Santa's d-lux 3, and although I bought it for street shots, have found it quite nifty inside too.

This is a test shot, shot on manual at 400 ISO and then run through Noise Ninja with autoprofiling, and then resharpened with USM.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Suse - I can see that you are having fun with the D-Lux - I've found it has quite a wow factor when you take it out in public - difficult getting it back, in fact.

Brad Husick did some lateral thinking about how to post noise ninja profiles on this website, so I'll post them on a new thread so that its easy to find in future. Will take me some minutes to do - I don't have broadband

Malcolm

We also have a Dlux 3 in for review.

So far we convert the RAW files in Camera RAW 4.0 (CS3 Beta). Our impression is that these files need a lot of sharpening which indicates a too strong AA filter. Not sure whether this AA filter wastes the quality of the likely nice lens.

The difference in sharpness between M8 and DL3 cannot be explained only by the lower pixel count of 7.5MP. Any opinions?

Uwe

The difference in sharpness between M8 and DL3 cannot be explained only by the lower pixel count of 7.5MP. Any opinions?

Uwe

Hello Uwe - a quick note of appreciation for your website and workflow pdf book - I learnt a lot from both when I switched to digital. My impression is that the lens is indeed very good, and that I'm very happy with RAW ISO 100 results but that quality does tend to fall off markedly with higher ISO and JPG conversion. I'd guess that the difference is the accumulation of lots of differences from the small size of the individual pixels onward. The general opinion 'out there' is that it is the image processing that is the weak link compared to its peers. I'm happy working around to shoot at lower ISOs so these weaknesses are often theoretical - I had read of these issues before trying the camera out, didn't expect to like it or buy it, but did.

Suse's test shot speaks for the results that can be obtained

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello Mac,

>happy with RAW ISO 100 results but that quality does tend to fall off markedly with higher ISO and JPG conversion.

Which RAW converter?

>Suse's test shot speaks for the results that can be obtained

Yes and no. I mainly photograph nature with many fine details. In these cases noise removal will often do more damage than good.

I compare M8 versus DL3 and the differences are not explained by the lens or mega pixels. Our shots were mainly ISO 200.

Uwe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought the D-Lux 3 so I would have a manual camera with a small profile for those times I did not wish to lug around my 5D and 20D, pluse 20 pounds of L glass.

It has been a very good camera in all respects except two....

1. No optical viewfinder.. LCD is useless under direct and sometimes indirect sunlight

2. High ISO noise is out of control.

Having said that I still find the camera extremely fun to use and the image quality is quite good.

You can view a gallery of D-Lux 3 shots at: Leicashots

Here's a sample:

http://www.boxedlight.com/Leicasonic/images/trainparts1.jpg

>I wish Leica would get decent names for the various lines of cameras.. they are easily confused.Uwe

The Germans are famous for their postive attitude to the environment. I understand that Leica has said that this affects all aspects of their business, and this evidently applies to recycling and resouce-use minimisation!