Aperture 3!

manilius

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Apple have just released Aperture 3... But guess what? No support for the M9... Only M8 and M8.2...

Maybe an email from each forum user to the Aperture page on the Apple site might do the trick?

Meanwhile I'm making myself a stiff drink!

If you're 'listening' Apple, pull your finger out!

What a huge disappointment. Leica provided M9s to Apple in September. Apple doesn't seem to care much about the M9 community, and as they apparently don't add new camera support in between new versions of Aperture, the wait could be really long.

Well

Whilst I agree that it's really irritating.

M9 files work splendidly well with Aperture 2 using DNG 2 support (I prefer it to both Lightroom and Capture one). I don't suppose they will be any worse with Aperture 3.

There are other cameras whose omission is more irritating.

What a huge disappointment. Leica provided M9s to Apple in September. Apple doesn't seem to care much about the M9 community, and as they apparently don't add new camera support in between new versions of Aperture, the wait could be really long.

Camera support is routinely added between Aperture updates. Check your Software Update logs if you already have Aperture or any other of their "pro" applications installed. Updates called "Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update" are the ones that tend to address compatibility issues or implement support for new cameras without actually updating Aperture itself.

In the grand scheme of things, the M9 is a pretty tiny (but perhaps vocal) part of Aperture's overall audience. Eventually I'm sure they'll provide M9 support, but has been stated here before, even Aperture 2 already produces nice-looking M9 files.

Sure they'll include it at some point... Later rather than sooner probably!

Meanwhile, I've submitted a 'disgruntled of Manchester' post to the feedback section on the Aperture page...

Never know, bit of pressure might hurry them up!

Don't hold your breath . . . support for the D-Lux4 took 18 months zzzzzzzzz.

On the other hand, do use it, it works fine.

I'm sure the workflow is better than either LR or C1 (hard to be worse!). But how about the quality of the demosaic process in terms of color and detail?

Thanks.

HI There

Well - I haven't tried Aperture 3 yet - but yes, I preferred the quality in total (demosaic, colour and detail). Sometimes in artificial light the reds need moderating a little. But having almost left Aperture when LR3 was announced I spent a fortnight with it (LR3) and went straight back to Aperture.

It does a grand job with default DNG support on the M9 (In My Humble Opinion of course).

Will aperture 3 work with the m9 files? I am getting confused from what you guys are saying. Thanks David

HI There

I'm assuming so - Aperture 2 certainly does - very well - even though there isn't specific support.

It's because Leica made a splendid decision to DNG files, and Aperture has good support for DNG files.

Jano -- thanks, but let me ask again, does "support" mean anyything other than provide a specific camera profile, something that any of us can do ourselves for our own cameras? thanks, t.

HI There

It's Jono :)

With respect to the M9, it's implementing Leica's colour calibration tables into the default RAW support - this isn't something you can do (although, of course, you can make your own profile).

I've found the default DNG support to be very good, and of course, you can make a default profile yourself (I have).

Does that help?

HI There

It's Jono :)

With respect to the M9, it's implementing Leica's colour calibration tables into the default RAW support - this isn't something you can do (although, of course, you can make your own profile).

I've found the default DNG support to be very good, and of course, you can make a default profile yourself (I have).

Does that help?

Thanks Jano -- it sort of helps, its just that I am so ignorant, I'm learning as i go! I guess it sounds like both are important, incorporating Leica's colour calibration tables as well as having a good camera profile to use. I was somehow under the belief that if you made your own profile, and in some way did so specifically for the raw converter you are using, that this would fully reflect the behavior of your camera in the conversion process, but it sounds like that is not the case. Thanks again!

Thanks Jano -- it sort of helps, its just that I am so ignorant, I'm learning as i go! I guess it sounds like both are important, incorporating Leica's colour calibration tables as well as having a good camera profile to use. I was somehow under the belief that if you made your own profile, and in some way did so specifically for the raw converter you are using, that this would fully reflect the behavior of your camera in the conversion process, but it sounds like that is not the case. Thanks again!

Pleased to be of service

It's still Jono though :)