M8, M9 and UVIR Cut

MP3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi There

I'm considering to make a holiday with one M8 and one M9 so I need not bother to change lenses to take pictures on fast changing subjects which would need different focal lengths.

My question is ...

Given M9 got sufficient UVIR filtration by its CCD glass ... Will lenses with UV-IR Cut filters on give color shift/cast in the resulted DNG files if I keep those filters on M9 ?

I would really like to know because switching filters during tour is no enjoyable either.

My guess is, lens > 35mm may not have problem but lens < 35mm will give strange corner vignetting and corner color cast.

Any member here can share your experience ?

Cheers

MP3

Exactly...I just outlined this in a lengthy post (regarding my own workflow with wide angle and telephoto lenses with these two bodies) in a thread entitiled something like "Building an M8 and M9 kit, here in the M9 forums.

Dave (D&A)

Edited by D&A

I'm on the edge of switching to an M9 (when they're available…) but why not ditch the M8 altogether? Pick up a decent telephoto (which is the only thing I can think of that the M8 would offer in advantage over the M9), and with the money left over, pick up a really nice point and shoot as a backup (G11, S90, GR III, et al): you're set. At least, that's how I envision things.

Honestly, I think P-and-Ss are really quick to turn on and ready to shoot over pulling out an M8, turning it on, adjusting exposure, etc. If it's just a tour or vacation, why bother with two M bodies? Honestly, why two M bodies, ever? :D

Edited by footnoteblog

Dedicate your longest lens to the M8 and leave it their. The other lens(es) swap with the M9 only. Problem solved.

Regards

Steve

good advice.

I recently went on a mediterranean trip (3 weeks 9 destinations) with a 90/2.8 elmarit on an M8 (with IR cut), and a 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar (without ir-cut) on an M9, and am very happy with both the handling, and photographic results.

I also had a 50/1.4 (asph summilux), and a 21/2.8 (zeiss biogon) with me, exclusively for the M9. I did not have circumstances where I needed them.

Regards ... Harold

I'm on the edge of switching to an M9 (when they're available…) but why not ditch the M8 altogether? Pick up a decent telephoto (which is the only thing I can think of that the M8 would offer in advantage over the M9), and with the money left over, pick up a really nice point and shoot as a backup (G11, S90, GR III, et al): you're set. At least, that's how I envision things.

Honestly, I think P-and-Ss are really quick to turn on and ready to shoot over pulling out an M8, turning it on, adjusting exposure, etc. If it's just a tour or vacation, why bother with two M bodies? Honestly, why two M bodies, ever? :D

The reason for two M bodies is that you can (1) rarely guess the "best" focal length and (2) may find shooting something from different perspectives can be helpful. My goal is to get in position to shoot with a 28 or 35mm FOV as it provides IMHO the right balance between principle subject image size and the context show in the background. But when I need just a little more distance to the subject a 50-90mm FOV can offer decent opportunities. This is in the context of street shooting but can apply to many types of assignments. Your requirements may be different .

Another interesting question would be ...why have more than 3 lenses with a single body?

I generally work with 3-4 lenses and 2 bodies....the question is which 3-4 lenses. So I often travel with 6-7 lenses and build a kit for a specific locations or light. Times Square at night ..I want a wide and normal summilux . Central Park ...I want to take the 135apo because I will be near water and can t always get closer.

You can argue for simplicity (and its valid) but you will certainly lose good opportunities as a trade off.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi There

I'm considering to make a holiday with one M8 and one M9 so I need not bother to change lenses to take pictures on fast changing subjects which would need different focal lengths.

My question is ...

Given M9 got sufficient UVIR filtration by its CCD glass ... Will lenses with UV-IR Cut filters on give color shift/cast in the resulted DNG files if I keep those filters on M9 ?

I would really like to know because switching filters during tour is no enjoyable either.

My guess is, lens > 35mm may not have problem but lens < 35mm will give strange corner vignetting and corner color cast.

Any member here can share your experience ?

Cheers

MP3

I did this on a assignment to shoot boxing in NYC gym. One M9 and one M8. The M9 had the 28/2 or the 35/1.4 and no UV IR filter and the M9 used the Noctilux or the Summilux 50 asph with the UV IR filter . This gave me a FOV from 28 thru 70 which was perfect for the gym . When I was making my selects , I quickly forgot about which camera they came from. My only reservation was that the M9 files had better DR and I could do a better job of dogging and burning the images. This was a static environment that I shot for 4 -5 days so I could set up easily. Working on the street ..the only problem was with the 50mm s as they could end up on either camera requiring a filter change which I did not like at all.

I don't follow the suggestions that an M8 is more suitable for a telephoto lens. Firstly with any M lens if you crop an M9 image to 18x27 (M8 sensor size) then you end up with an 10MP M8 image. That doesn't take into account the subtle different processing of course. The M9 has the framelines for the 135 also whereas you are guessing with the M8.

I understand having a backup camera, that's fine if desired and also the convenience of a second body if you work that way. I'd rather change the lens than get another camera out of a bag myself.

I guess my point is, if you have an M9, then one of the only reasons to keep an M8 is for its reach (a 50mm on an M8 gives you 66.5mm equivalent, if that's your longest lens. The M9 won't do that.), even though it may be a default defect compared to the M9. As glenerrolrd says, though some prefer two bodies. I would opt for one body or a backup P-n-S, personally. Sounds like the whole M8-lens-IR-cut-vs.-none-and-focal-length-M9-thing is a real pain.

I went a different route. I bought my M8 a Color-Skopar 35 and use it as a compact just-throw-in-your-pocket camera. There is one drawback though: That Color-Skopar is so beautifully matched to a black M9 in style and paint - even the lettering looks better than Leica as the feet numbers are red -and it is a rather good lens...:(