Lens hood and IR cut filter

Flare propensity is unfortunately increased by adding the extra glass surfaces of any filter, a hood will help to mitigate, unless you want a flare effect which is quite popular, intentionally or not is up for debate. The IR/UV is no exception to this rule and has no special anti-flare properties. Ideally use black rim filters as the chrome finish is also more likely to flare, despite them "spoiling" the cosmetic look of a chrome lens. 

• Like 2

I use both, but this means correct filter size for the lens. So a 49mm (maybe series 7) for my 35 Summilux, 39mm for 50 Sumicron and 90 Elmarit, the only exception is an 18mm Zeiss, I already had a 62mm from the lens it was replacing, so I used a step up ring 58-62mm so I have to be careful with flare when using that lens. 

I would always use a hood when possible. Some third party filters prevent mounting some hoods properly. No issues yet with Leica filters because their rim is a bit smaller.

If need be you could use cheap chinese screw in hoods if your filter is not working with the Leica hood.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure what the problem is. No filter can replace a good hood so if you need a filter, like UV/IR for M8, suffice it to screw it in the filter thread of the lens and to mount the hood in the bayonet made for it. As far as Leica filters are concerned, this works perfectly with both LH4 and LH12 CV hoods.

• Thanks 1

Am 27.5.2023 um 17:12 schrieb lct:

Not sure what the problem is. No filter can replace a good hood so if you need a filter, like UV/IR for M8, suffice it to screw it in the filter thread of the lens and to mount the hood in the bayonet made for it. As far as Leica filters are concerned, this works perfectly with both LH4 and LH12 CV hoods.

I know several people with the 35 pre asph Summilux where you have to mount the filter in the hood, designed for a series 7, but a B+W or Hoya 49mm works too. Some cheap 49mm filters don't fit, I am not sure if there was a series 7 IR/UV made for this lens (hood).

26 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I know several people with the 35 pre asph Summilux where you have to mount the filter in the hood, designed for a series 7, but a B+W or Hoya 49mm works too. Some cheap 49mm filters don't fit, I am not sure if there was a series 7 IR/UV made for this lens (hood).

Yes there is or was a Leica Series 7 UV/IR filter definitely (13421 below). I got one when the M8 was released but i don't know if Leica still sells it nowadays. A couple of them are available right now on e**y including an affordable old stock in Germany. BTW dropping upside-down E49 filters can help with the 12504 lens hood.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

vor 7 Stunden schrieb lct:

Yes there is or was a Leica Series 7 UV/IR filter definitely (13421 below). I got one when the M8 was released but i don't know if Leica still sells it nowadays. A couple of them are available right now on e**y including an affordable old stock in Germany. BTW dropping upside-down E49 filters can help with the 12504 lens hood.

The 49mm don't have to be upside down, B+W filters fit either way. Both ways they don't tighten all the way, but they are secure. I'll have to look for a series 7.