Any news regarding the colorshift with wide lenses

hjernemadsen

Short answer: No.

No one outside Leica knows the status; no one outside Leica knows if it is fixable, if it is fixable soley in firmware (or will require hardware servicing), and when that FW is due.

I think the main issue probably holding up a fix for this problem specifically is that the colorshift seems to be somewhat variable, even using the same lens on different cameras. So it may be very hard for Leica to develop a "one-size-fits-all" change to the corrections in the FW.

c.f.: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/114311-red-edge-lenses.html

Totally speculation - An ideal solution would be to add the capability of creating individual in-camera profiles for color drift. Sort of a "CornerFix-in-the-camera" idea - each user shoots a reference image of a blank white surface with each of their sub-50mm lenses, and the camera uses them to save new correction in place of the "canned" corrections for that lens in the FW. E.G. I run a profile of "my" 21mm pre-ASPH coded lens on "my" M9 - and that becomes the default set of corrections for a 21mm pre-ASPH - in my camera.

But the M9 processor and firmware ROM space may not be up to that - I don't know. At any rate, a far more complex piece (and thus time-consuming) of code to write than just creating or improving a single "improved" correction to distribute to everyone.

Additonally - there are other things people have requested as firmware improvements, such as faster zooming on the LCD, better battery life, better coordination with some SD cards, control of the amount of noise reduction applied to high-ISO images, etc. I would guess Leica is taking the time to address as many fixes as possible in a single, well-tested upgrade, rather than dribble them out in separate versions.

I have a leica m9 + summicron 35 mm. I Have also a soft red edge in my pictures.

Have tried cornerfix. It works fine, but i will NOT use it anymore. I've come to the conclusion that cornerfix changes ALL colors in the pictures. Not only the red edge. I've not paid 7500 euro to have the perfect picture, and then overlay it with a cyan colorcast.

my advice: use the graduated filter tool in lightroom. I've did 4 filters on one picture. 3 on the left side/ 1 on the top of the image. (180-200 degrees / 2 to 4 percent) One you have done that, save it with a preset.

It works! Give it a try!