Proof of concept regarding self coding of lenses

mike prevette

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... my M9 reports "uncoded" not only to the 135 Elmarit code (001001) ...

Sure. Wrong framelines.

... but to any other code that I have tried.

Have you tried 110101? That's the Apo-Telyt's code, and this should work. You cannot code your lens as a "Tele-Elmar 135 mm."

... it is something to do with the frame lines.

Can you or anyone throw any light on this?

This has been discussed over and over so many times already.

Thanks for the feedback.

I tried 110101 but that did not work either. From yours and other posts I have determined the following.

1) For an M9 to recognise a lens, the lens must have a valid code AND bring up frame-lines to match that code.

2) The 135mm 2.8 Elmarit (code 001001) actually brings up the 28/90 framelines (it comes with a separate viewfinder) so any lens with that code bringing up the 35/135 framelines will be reported as "uncoded"

3) The APO-Telyt 135mm was originally released without coding, and Leica at the time claimed it never would have coding. (Because most M9s don't have 35/135 frame lines). Since then, current shipments DO have the 110101 code, and the latest M9 firmware supports that.

4) My M9 does not have that update.

As proof-of-concept I have just now recoded my f/4 135mm to 101011. Bingo! It is reported as being an f2.5 35mm Summarit, which matches the code. I have yet to see what the "adustments" do to the images with that lens.

The whole exercise has, for me, been quite long and frustrating.

You said "This has been discussed over and over so many times already" Maybe so, but the info. is pretty scattered and putting it all together I did not find easy. Certainly point (1) above was glossed over in most of the self-coding discussions that I read.

LCL

... and the latest M9 firmware supports that.

[...] My M9 does not have that update.

You don't need the latest M9 firmware. Firmware 1.162 and later will do.

If code 110101 ("Apo-Telyt") doesn't work but 101011 ("Summarit 35") does then I guess you just didn't apply the former code properly ... a misplacement by, say, one millimeter or so will render it unrecognisable.

Or your firmware is older than 1.162.

• 10 years later...