New firmware and IR filters ?

pascal_meheut

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Did somebody tried this ? I've not read every thread and maybe I missed something.

But I was wondering if someone checked if the new firmware fix the cyan cast in the corner when using an IR filter ?

Also, did somebody tried to use a non-coded lens over 35mm with an IR filter and the lens detection activated ? According to M8 documentation, using lens detection with non-coded lenses can be problematic.

Pascal, I can't see it being problemmatic unless there's a screw hole in the mount which might be mis-interpreted. I tried my old Summilux 50 and the uncoded 90/4 on the camera and there was no sign of mis-interpretation.

As for cyan correction, there is some when lens detection is activated but it's not enough to clear the cyan completely.

As for cyan correction, there is some when lens detection is activated but it's not enough to clear the cyan completely.

Any examples ? I sent my 28mm and 24mm to be coded the same time I sent the M8 back and I wonder what kind of results I can expect once I finally got a camera in marching order.

I have tried a new "fixed" m8 vith firmvare 1.09 and the IR filter supplied from Leica (B+W F-Pro).

This combination gives - with lens dectection acivated - cyan corners with the 28 mm summicron.

With the 35 mm summilux there are no cyan corners

the above results are obtained on a laptop mac (I am currently away from home, travelling)

Hope it helps

Peter

Thanks. Maybe the cyan fix will be in the expected 1.10 version of the firmware.

Hi Pascal,

I'm hoping it will be there in 1.10 (which we all should be able to download from the web) but I'm not certain. I will have test filters from Leica soon as well as a test camera with the hardware fix. Did you see the new stuff about results with a hand-coded CV 28/3.5 in the revised 28s article?

Cheers,

Sean

... new stuff about results with a hand-coded CV 28/3.5 in the revised 28s article

Sean, I've just read the additional material about the cyan edges and coding that you completed.

I would like to make the following comments:

1. IR sensitiviy of the sensor -- As evidenced by the long shake-out period of the M8 in testing, there is not always a shift of blacks to magenta. Many users may not notice this in their images, as well.

2. Cyan shift -- Many users may not notice this in their images, as well.

3. Lens Coding -- I, too, dislike closed systems, and agree with you that Leica has been one of the most open of manufacturers throughout its history.

Therefore I want to beat my usual dead horse -- cyan/vignetting correction in software. IR filers will be required; that's a given. However, coding of lenses is optional and costly, at more than $100 per lens. If the correction for cyan and vignetting is in software, we will save the cost of coding the lenses. This will enhance the openness of the M8 system.

You heard it here. :)

Regards,

Guest guy_mancuso

Bill I agree on one and two and hopefully leica will work on if not already work on number three . I would hope that there is a menu option on this for non coded and other brand lenses.

there is also another option that i hope comes to light and that is C1 coming out with vignetting/cyan control in the Raw processing but that does not help the jpeg shooters much.

Bill I agree on one and two and hopefully leica will work on if not already work on number three . I would hope that there is a menu option on this for non coded and other brand lenses.

there is also another option that i hope comes to light and that is C1 coming out with vignetting/cyan control in the Raw processing but that does not help the jpeg shooters much.

Guy, good for C1. I was planning on buying the PRO version anyway. Hooray for the far-sighted.