Everything resolved with new firmware?

fnuernberger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today, I've received the call from our local Leica dealer who offered me to pick up my M8. It's silver, however, so I've decided to wait a bit longer until the black unit will arrive.

I might have bought the silver version, but then the sales guy was a bit unclear about the status of the camera. He said it has the newest "software" on it, but couldn't confirm whether the hardware (the chip) was fixed in regards to streaking and green-dots. He told me that there were too much rumours on "these forums"...

So, would you expect that a certified dealer has a fixed M8 already? Also: does the new M8 - then - come with a reworked profile (that takes the IR-cut filter into consideration)?

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank,

The dealer should know if this camera has had the hardware fix or not. If he doesn't know for sure then he should call his rep or Leica USA to confirm.

The publically released firmware still seems to be 1.09 and there's a 1.10 coming out that one can download and install him or her self. So I wouldn't worry about the firmware version but the hardware change is important.

Cheers,

Sean

Today, I've received the call from our local Leica dealer who offered me to pick up my M8. It's silver, however, so I've decided to wait a bit longer until the black unit will arrive.

I might have bought the silver version, but then the sales guy was a bit unclear about the status of the camera. He said it has the newest "software" on it, but couldn't confirm whether the hardware (the chip) was fixed in regards to streaking and green-dots. He told me that there were too much rumours on "these forums"...

So, would you expect that a certified dealer has a fixed M8 already? Also: does the new M8 - then - come with a reworked profile (that takes the IR-cut filter into consideration)?

Regards

Frank

Leica had stopped deliveries for a while and then statet that all new deliveries as of November 27th would be in the reworked state. So if the offered camara fulfills this condition it’s fine.

Ciao

Holger

Leica had stopped deliveries for a while and then statet that all new deliveries as of November 27th would be in the reworked state. So if the offered camara fulfills this condition it’s fine.

Ciao

Holger

Are you saying that there is no identifying mark on the body (different serial sequence, for example), or notice in the box that the new owner can rely on to determine if the hardware upgrade has indeed been installed?

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

John i don't think anything physical externally on the box or body would change. i think the firmware is the key to this. Seems like the two or three bodies that came back from repair all had the 1.09 in them.

I would think if it has the 1.09 firmware than it should be a fixed camera.

I would, too. But how do you tell (or get the dealer to check it before you go over)? The dealer or you should be able to go down to the last item on the main menu and find the rev. level.

There have been cases of cameras delivered after Nov 27 with 1.06 firmware and the old hardware problems, since there are still unsold cameras in the distribution chain from the first batch of 1500.

scott

Thank you everyone,

maybe, that sales guy had a bad day. I don't know. It's the same dealer as yours, Holger. I guess they are more than legitimate. It was just a bit disappointing as the guy on the phone seemed to either had no clue about the harware fix issue or was trying to sell me a non-fixed version. Anyways, info like that didn't make me rush and get the camera. I hope the'll give me the call when a black version arrives.

I received my M8 back from Solms today. The paperwork has the following:

Necessary parts blank

Labour costs

Receiving inspection

adjustment of all parts

That is it. Charge is of course zero. It now has firmware 1.09 (was 1.06). There is no change to anything on the camera. Firmware 1.09 menus are identical to 1.06. Other than the firmware being 1.09 there is no way to tell if anything has been changed.

Are you saying that there is no identifying mark on the body (different serial sequence, for example), or notice in the box that the new owner can rely on to determine if the hardware upgrade has indeed been installed?

Did I say or write anything like that?? Hm.

Serious: No manufacturer would make a sticker on the product saying that there have been products in the past differing from this newer version - or something like that. Confusing for everybody after a short while. So your question is: how to recognize the upgraded version. Let’s consider who the hell could know this:

- somebody who just bought an upgraded M8 (not me)

- the dealer (your dealer obviously doesn’t know)

- Leica by identifiying the seriel number which is unique for every camera.

So ask the dealer to give you the serial number then ask leica about this camera. OR let your dealer ensure you in written that the camera is equipped with the latest hardware & software.

Ciao

Holger

Guest guy_mancuso
I received my M8 back from Solms today. The paperwork has the following:

Necessary parts blank

Labour costs

Receiving inspection

adjustment of all parts

That is it. Charge is of course zero. It now has firmware 1.09 (was 1.06). There is no change to anything on the camera. Firmware 1.09 menus are identical to 1.06. Other than the firmware being 1.09 there is no way to tell if anything has been changed.

Chet that seemed pretty fast on the return. Glad to hear it is back in your hands

I was at my dealer today picking up my new tri-elmar and the dealer told me that the next batch of M8's which are currently being produced by Leica will be 99,9% solid. apart from needing the filter under certain circumstances which accounts for the 0.1%.

I am not technical enough to be able to explain why and what Leica has changed in order to achieve this, or what the changes actually are, but Gerard certainly sounded confident. He also explained that he had spent a lot of time on the issues with complaining customers, as most dealers probably, and was glad this was all coming to an end.

Chet, what was the total turnaround time from when you sent it to your dealer (or directly to Solm if you did it that way).

Gesper -

I took it to the dealer here in Poland even though I had purchased it in Frankfurt. He sent it in on Tuesday, Dec. 4th. Leica sent him an email saying the cameras he sent in were received Tuesday, Dec. 11th. I don't know how long the shipping actually took. Leica may not open the boxes immediately on arrival. In any event, I called them and asked if they could ship back directly to me. To make a long story short, they did and I received it today. The dealer has an email from them saying the other cameras he sent in will be fixed and returned in 10 more days!! Leica was good to me and I am very grateful for their service.

Did I say or write anything like that?? Hm.

- Leica by identifying the serial number which is unique for every camera.

So ask the dealer to give you the serial number then ask Leica about this camera. OR let your dealer ensure you in written that the camera is equipped with the latest hardware & software.

Ciao

Holger

This makes sense. Surely Leica must have factory records which show which serial numbers were manufactured with the "upgraded" piece of hardware (whatever it is). I just wish Leica could be more communicative about this.

Again, my caution would be to not assume that an M8 has had the hardware fix unless that is known to be the case. Theoretically, in the USA at least, all of the "original" M8s were returned to Leica for the hardware change but some may not quite have made it back. If the selling dealer doesn't know, he should find out.

Cheers,

Sean

I presume you are talking about the Fasanenstraße shop. They have been super-helpful and understanding with me, even going to the trouble of registering my camera and lens for me, and calling Leica every week to find out the status of my camera. It is inconceivable to me that they would try to pull a fast one. I would simply ask them to confirm, and I expect they will do so.