Which 75mm

rcoles

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks to everyone for your help.

A number of folks think that a 90mm lens is a better choice. Is there any difference between a 90 or 75 for someone that wears glasses?

The used 90 2.8 Elmarit looks like a great buy, is that worth considering over the 90 2 AA. What do I give up other than speed?

Bob

I've had both the 90AA and now the 90 2.8 elmarit-m and the Elmarit is super sharp. I love this lens. The best 90 I've ever owned.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A number of folks think that a 90mm lens is a better choice. Is there any difference between a 90 or 75 for someone that wears glasses?

Not in my experience. The 90mm framelines are usually easier to see than the 75mm ones.

The used 90 2.8 Elmarit looks like a great buy, is that worth considering over the 90 2 AA. What do I give up other than speed?

Not much except weight.:) The Elmarit-M - a rather cylindrical design with telescopic hood - is the lens I had in mind when I suggested that the only reason for getting the Summicron AA was if you needed the best wide-open performance. (The 90mm Elmarit - without the -M and the telescopic hood - is a very much older design, excellent for the 1960s but not outstanding today).

I have read in this thread about the advantages of the 90mm elmarit in terms of cost and weight vs the 90 crons. I have both 90 cron APO and 90 cron late Canadian pre APO, and was thinking of trading one of them for a more portable 90. (The Canadian 90 cron may have some advantages for portraits, but I have a 75 lux for the real mojo there.) I could easily give up an f2 and for an f2.8. (However, I don't think I would want an f4). I was ready to spring for the Elmarit-M 90 cron but then comparing specs:

90 cron APO: 17.6oz, 3 inches long

vs

90 elmarit-M: 14.5oz, 3.1 inches long

Since I already own the cron(s), the $$ advantages of the Elmarit are not important to me and the 3oz improvement in portability seems neglible. In deciding against exchanging a cron for an Elmarit-M, am I missing something?

Michael

I have read in this thread about the advantages of the 90mm elmarit in terms of cost and weight vs the 90 crons. I have both 90 cron APO and 90 cron late Canadian pre APO, and was thinking of trading one of them for a more portable 90. (The Canadian 90 cron may have some advantages for portraits, but I have a 75 lux for the real mojo there.) I could easily give up an f2 and for an f2.8. (However, I don't think I would want an f4). I was ready to spring for the Elmarit-M 90 cron but then comparing specs:

90 cron APO: 17.6oz, 3 inches long

vs

90 elmarit-M: 14.5oz, 3.1 inches long

Since I already own the cron(s), the $$ advantages of the Elmarit are not important to me and the 3oz improvement in portability seems neglible. In deciding against exchanging a cron for an Elmarit-M, am I missing something?

Michael

I would do a new post with this question.

The only issue I have with the Summarit is the limited close-focus ability compared to the f/1.4 and f/2. Otherwise a very nice lens with a fingerprint very similar to the most recent (discontinued) 90 Elmarit. I just really need that extra 40% larger image at .7 meters, after having the M8 crop for three years.

I really liked the look of the discontinued 75 f/1.4, and the extra f/stop is useful in avoiding the digital Ms' high-ISO noise - but ultimately, I kept coming up against the wall that, if I really wanted to use a lens that large and heavy, I'd have stayed with SLRs in the first place.

Ended up with a used Summicron APO/ASPH as an even swap for my used Summilux. Happy.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had the same problem when I decided to buy a 75mm for my M8. As I didn't anticipate using the lens a lot and didn't need the extra speed I went for the Summarit. I found it performs beyond my expectations and I use it far more than I ever thought I would. Certainly a great buy in my opinion.

Cheers, Tom

Photography by Tom Lane

the 75 summilux has a wonderful signature but it's a beast to carry around..the 75 summicron is certainly lighter and more compact with a more modern construction but is it to be f2 or go for the 1.4? i guess it depends on what i usually have space for and my limits for carrying around with me but saying that, i really do carry it around when i am traveling..

I have a 90 cron, the 90 Elmarit and the 75 Summarit.

Very little difference (even in weight) between the two 90s other than one f-stop and with the M9's better high ISO, that difference may be moot.

As far as the 75 Summarit, I like it far better than either 90 :eek: Much smaller and much lighter, has a shorter focus throw so it pops into focus much faster (and easier) in my opinion. Very sharp lens but has absolutely wonderful bokeh. It also has a much longer focus ring that I wish was on either of the 90s.

Here is one of my favorite shots from the 75 Summarit on the M9:

M9 Necropolis 1 [Victoria 2010]

The bottom line is this: all the lenses you are considering are wonderful :D

I like the answer jaapv gave Tulpenwahn today, who's looking for his first lens.

You already have the most wonderful camera there is and a perfect lens on it, both for two months now. And you see yourself as a learner, which is the essence of of photographic curiosity and success.

Why not refrain from buying one more lens for the rest of the year?

Emmanuel Smague's photosets on Flickr

could be interesting as an example for you, too.

Regardless what subjects you chose to photograph and in what enviroment, getting to know one lens well should take a year.

Best stay lightfooted with your M9+Cron35 and clear of becomming a gearhead. If you can't get "there" fast enough, you can crop later, since the M9 has ample reserves. Could be you find out, it works better without a second lens.

Other examples how to solve this: Marc Riboud and Stanley Greene, just as examples, use the Leica with a 35mm and a tele on a SLR. But please remember that a 35mm on a Micro4/3 is a 70mm and that as an amateur one should concentrate on pictures taking and avoid any distractions, having less time for it than a pro.

Forum writing? That's a bit of a different hobby :)

Have fun!

I started using a 90 cron on m6 and loved that lens very much for for some 'long range portraitts', it's balance and handling. On the m8 it was to much and also to difficult to focus so got the 75 cron. For portraits with the m8 my best pics came from the 50 cron, much more intimacy. So on the m9 I will stick to the 75.

Harald

I like the answer jaapv gave Tulpenwahn today, who's looking for his first lens.

You already have the most wonderful camera there is and a perfect lens on it, both for two months now. And you see yourself as a learner, which is the essence of of photographic curiosity and success.

Why not refrain from buying one more lens for the rest of the year?

Emmanuel Smague's photosets on Flickr

could be interesting as an example for you, too.

Regardless what subjects you chose to photograph and in what enviroment, getting to know one lens well should take a year.

Best stay lightfooted with your M9+Cron35 and clear of becomming a gearhead. If you can't get "there" fast enough, you can crop later, since the M9 has ample reserves. Could be you find out, it works better without a second lens.

Other examples how to solve this: Marc Riboud and Stanley Greene, just as examples, use the Leica with a 35mm and a tele on a SLR. But please remember that a 35mm on a Micro4/3 is a 70mm and that as an amateur one should concentrate on pictures taking and avoid any distractions, having less time for it than a pro.

Forum writing? That's a bit of a different hobby :)

Have fun!

Tri:

Thanks for your comments. The reason I have the 35 f/2 is based on the good recommendations from this site and members like Jaap and Lars. The advice then was also to learn one lens before adding others.

Having used Nikon SLR cameras for years, I must be suffering from FL withdrawal. I am keeping a D90 (having sold my D700) and a 70-200 f/2.8 with a 1.4 extender and a 50 1.4 and a mid-range zoom to use as needed. My plan is for the M9 and a couple of lenses to be my regular kit for around town, day tripping and vacations and the DSLR gear would stay home or be sold. At this time I don’t feel the need for a wider lens or even a 50mm, but would like another lens for portraits, more control of DOF and some landscape work. I like picking out interesting details in the field and not having to make major crops. It is not always possible to move as close as necessary. As you suggested, I reviewed part of the impressive body of work of Emmanuel Smague, it illustrates very well the flexibility of the 35 f2. Even with a 90 the 35 would be used most of the time. Not having to worry about which lens to use in the last two months has helped me learn faster and should improve my photography, not to mention the benefit of no sensor dust worries. I been using the one lens approach (but often a zoom) for a long time with my DSLR and found it very rewarding. The question is: will selecting a 90mm as a second lens, which is well outside of any overlap with a 35mm, be disruptive to this learning process? It adds another factor to consider but being more specialized it should have much less impact than a 50, 28, 24, or even the 75. I must admit the a 35/75 kit is very attractive, but I also see the sound reasoning behind a 35/90 kit especially if a fast 50 may be added later.

This discussion has been very helpful and I plan to take my time before making a decision.

Thanks

Bob

Guest BigSplash

The old 75mm f1.4 Summilux is my favourite Leica lens. ..I exclude the TriElmar.

It is superb for portrait, and street photography and you get an extra f stop compared to the current summicron. I find the extr f stop useful and gives great dept of field at full aperture.

Andy (Adan) seems to agree but then notes that it is a much bigger lens that the current Summicron....That is true but its is also a lot smaller than my old 90mm Summicron and my 75mm Lux fits nicely into my small camera bag.

I own/have owned all three Leica 75mm lenses, so my opinion on them is the following :

75mm Summarit

Pros : size, sharp, great colors, easy to focus, price.

Cons : external hood, lacks character, minimum focus distance.

75mm Cron :

Pros : the Leica pop, contrasty, smooth bokeh wide open, great colors, built in hood, good balance size / speed.

Cons : ergonomics (maybe specific to me)

75mm Lux : the wide open look ...., built in hood, as sharp as others from F4, stability allowing lower speeds, wonderful built, the lower contrast of F1.4 for sunny days.

Cons : long focus throw, focusing wide-open is often a hit or miss, size, size and size.

Good thing is they are all significantly different, bad thing is it very difficult to make a choice between them. So in my case, I use mainly the 60mm Hexanon as it is a mix of the Pros of the Cron and Lux at a similar reach. It also allows a 35-60-90 kit that is well spaced.

Tri:

Thanks for your comments. The reason I have the 35 f/2 is based on the good recommendations from this site and members like Jaap and Lars. The advice then was also to learn one lens before adding others.

Having used Nikon SLR cameras for years, I must be suffering from FL withdrawal. I am keeping a D90 (having sold my D700) and a 70-200 f/2.8 with a 1.4 extender and a 50 1.4 and a mid-range zoom. The question is: will selecting a 90mm as a second lens, which is well outside of any overlap with a 35mm, be disruptive to this learning process? It adds another factor to consider but being more specialized it should have much less impact than a 50, 28, 24, or even the 75. I must admit the a 35/75 kit is very attractive, but I also see the sound reasoning behind a 35/90 kit especially if a fast 50 may be added later.

This discussion has been very helpful and I plan to take my time before making a decision.

Thanks

Bob

I also think they're the best::very rarely a little bit righteous but more often then most they're right and always very helpful.

Maybe as you found out, they meant also to learn to focus an M, first with a 35mm lens :) .

I find the lenses' tab priceless. Have a massive but small brass plate attached to the the tripod socket protruding a bit under the lens, giving me a more distinct orientation for the tab. So when I lift the cam to the eye, I already have the approximate setting, adjusting it in the viewfinder.

Someone here wrote recently, that he had a tab attached to his brand-new Lux 24mm :cool: I never use focal lengths longer than 50mm on my M8, (well, I got a 135 Apo for an incredible price and only use it once a year) but if I considered a 75 or a 90 at all, I'd certainly have it tabbed, so a 2nd hand Sumarit would do, since reselling can never be excluded. Certain old 90mm Crons I guess came with a tab, but they are huge.

PS: Why not keep the D90 only with the 50mm and let the feet do the zooming ;) ?

Cheers!