M9 - What backup solution for Event Photography

leffe

Having a second M9 body is probably the wisest solution. But also a boring one, I think, at least a bit. In what would you invest as a backup for event and wedding photography?

Do you shoot weddings exclusively with a M rangefinder ... or do you also have a DSLR?

I find that a Sony A900 and a few Zeiss lenses to be fun and usefully different for shooting weddings ... especially the Zeiss 135/1.8.

If you want to stay M then I'd go with the second M9 set up with a 1.25X mag and a 75/1.4 and get both calibrated together by DAG or someone like that. Still can act as a good back-up if the M9 should go down, but a way to make it sort of a dedicated 2nd kit.

Maybe a M7 loaded with B&W film... but to be a true back-up you'd have to carry color film if you do color stuff with the M9 now.

I tried a M8 as a back-up, but swapping out filters all the time just didn't work for me during a hectic wedding. However, it IS a far less expensive back-up.

The issue with anything else is that it HAS to act as a true back-up to the M9 if that is all you are using. You have to be able to shoot the rest of the wedding if the prime M9 camera is put out of commission during the wedding.

-Marc

Edited by fotografz

Depends on the lenses you're using on the M9. For event photography I often pair an M with a 5 series Canon. You could do worse to get a used 5D + used 28-70 USM L series one lens. This would cover most of what you need and be a really useful adjunct to a single M9 setup.

As has already been suggested, any backup has to be fit for purpose and not be a compromise in any way. As far as I'm concerned, a "boring" backup is just the ticket. If my main camera goes down, the backup simply has to be able to fulfil the function of the main camera or there is no point having it. A P&S camera/compact is not going to be able to replace an M9 (even if it could, the client is not going to be impressed). For me, the backup has to be another Leica M digital body but others obviously like the versatility of having a DSLR to hand.

Yes, any backup has to be at least as capable as your main camera in my opinion. I wouldn't dream of not having two of whatever my main camera is.

I'm hoping to get out of the wedding business soon:D, but for now when I do shoot them it's with two M9s and a Nikon kit in the car, just in case.

I would say if a second M9 is not feasible, a Nikon/Canon/Sony full-frame DSLR kit with, say, a 35 + 85mm lens (or whatever your preference is) would be just the ticket. You can also add a 135/180/200 and, besides backup, it would extend your capability and reach.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

If shooting weddings exclusively with an M9 and needing a back-up (and M9 wasn't fessable due to costs)...I would use an M8/M8.2, but with a 1.25x (as suggested previously) and dedicate that came to lenses 50mm on up. I'd use the M9 for lenses 50mm and wider and here is why. Wide(er) angle shots generally need (although these aren't landscape shots)..more pixels..like group shots etc. The M9 fits that bill and I would dedicate that camera to mostly 50mm and wider, but more often just 35mm and wider. The lenses used with that camera should have and don't need UVIR filters.

The back-up M8/M8.2 would be used with lenses 50mm and longer (with the 1.25x...so that the framelines are enlarged to almost the size seen in the M9). These lenses will have their UVIR filter on and won't be sued with the M9..so no issue with filters.

*** The "swing lens" between the two cameras would be the 50mm (which could be usd on either on)...and its UVIR filter left since there will be no issue with corners when using the 50mm this way on the M9.

I think the idea combination would be to keep a 75mm on the back-up M8/M8.2 (approx 100mm effective field of view) for intimate portraits and tight crops...and maybe a 35mm on the M9. A 24 or 21mm can always be thrown on the M9 when needed while a 50mm can be thrown on the M8/M8.2 for a effective 67mm field of view when something wider than 100mm is needed for a two person portrait etc.

Just in case the M9 "goes down"...(and there wasn't a DSLR back-up).....any of the lenses I mentioned for the M9/M8 system... could still work on the M8/M8.2 back-up alone. Just remove the 1.25x and have a couple of appropriate sized UVIR filters ready to throw onto the 35mm and 24/21mm lenses (just in case ) and you're pretty much all set to go, for this kind of emergency....with being able to use any lenses you brought along to use with the M9..now being able to use with the M8/M8.2.

Again, having a DSLR/lens combo in the car (if one is avaialble)......for a real emergency, if all else fails, is a good idea!

Dave (D&A)

Edited by D&A

Yes, any backup has to be at least as capable as your main camera in my opinion. I wouldn't dream of not having two of whatever my main camera is.

I'm hoping to get out of the wedding business soon:D, but for now when I do shoot them it's with two M9s and a Nikon kit in the car, just in case.

I would say if a second M9 is not feasible, a Nikon/Canon/Sony full-frame DSLR kit with, say, a 35 + 85mm lens (or whatever your preference is) would be just the ticket. You can also add a 135/180/200 and, besides backup, it would extend your capability and reach.

Noah, I followed your linkes and checked your portfolios and I am very impressed by your photos - esp. the B&W. Was the M9 your main cameras for most of those photos?

Alberto

Noah, I followed your linkes and checked your portfolios and I am very impressed by your photos - esp. the B&W. Was the M9 your main cameras for most of those photos?

Alberto

Thanks! Other than my old film work (Cuba and Istanbul on my archive page) and my Iraq work (Nikon D1), most of my work to date is actually M8. All of my wedding work was with the M8, 24 'Lux and 50 'Lux Pre-Asph.

I haven't gotten around to updating my site since I got the M9, but it's my main camera now and represents a huge improvement over the M8 for the way I shoot.

I'll throw my weight behind the Panasonic GF1 with the EVF. Used it as backup for two weeks during COP15 when the cold did in every battery I took with my for the M8. When printed at normal sizes you can't tell which camera took which photo without some serious examination. It is a different working method though. Can also shoot some decent video.

While there's logic behind having exact duplicates, I've never followed it. ;)

I use M9 and DMR so they complement each other, as well as serve as backup. But before that the Digilux 2 served as backup for the DMR.

As I've never ever had problems with equipment I couldn't solve on site, I never had to use a backup (except for two minutes during a wedding where the M9 locked). So if I ditched the DMR I would have to get a second M9 - which would probably never get used.

In shooting wedding I would consider using two M9 so as to use different settings, white balance and/or lenses - and have backup at the same time. Wedding is a type of event where you can't excuse for not having the photos and where they're not going to repeat it. For press events and celebrity events you could live without a picture if you had to.

Wedding is a type of event where you can't excuse for not having the photos and where they're not going to repeat it. For press events and celebrity events you could live without a picture if you had to.

That's exactly how I see it. In fact, for weddings (which I don't really do) I'm inclined to think that a second backup is not necessarily overkill - maybe an old film body and a brick of film. Personally, I also double up on the flash and make sure that if one of my lenses were to fail (not a particular concern with Leica M lenses) that I'd be able to get by with another.

I have a number of cameras that serve well as a backup for my wedding assignments. They normally sit in the car unless I'm more than a few minutes from the car.

Shooting with my Canon Pro camera, I'm happy if that's the only one to hand. With my M film, then M8 and now M9, I require two bodies on hand to avoid lens swapping and to provide immediate backup as I'm not completely confident in the stability of the digital M's having had temporary lock-ups with both M8 and M9.

I've just post processed my first M9 wedding to proof stage and I'm delighted with the results. I used my Canon Pro as a second/backup camera at that event, but carrying two systems is tiresome and I prefer not to do that again.

So, I'm in a similar position to the OP and am considering buying a second M9 or using my MP for wide angle lenses and long lenses and leaving the middle, higher volume, ground to the M9. That's not the perfect answer, IMO, and a second M9 will probably happen in the next three months, in spite of family pressure being on a Canon 1D IV upgrade :rolleyes:.

Whilst the M9 is expensive, and two bodies are very expensive, when residual value and 5 years income is taken into account, the cost is quite incidental. I'm not belittling any other user, but there is a cost of doing business and fortunately the cost of being a Pro photographer is reasonable, IMO. Further, I've enough quality gear around me for ebay to take the sting out of any M9 purchase. I say frequently that "I can have any camera I like, but I can't have them all" ! ;)

I did not like the M8 for weddings at all, that's just me, so an M8 as a second camera is not going to happen. Any other camera you're comfortable with is fine as a back-up, digital or film, but be careful is selecting a system to run alongside the M9. Much as I don't like lens swapping, now I've seen the first results from this wedding, I think I'd prefer to use the M9 as the only shooting body, with the film M as immediate backup and another digi in the car to keep me out of jail.

Edited by Rolo

Assuming you are an M shooter, a second M9 will be the optimal backup not only because it's the same camera but also because you can spread the load between the two bodies.

If you can't find/afford a spare M9 at the moment, a film M (loaded with B&W only :D) may be all you need (of course, this depends on your style as well).

@Noah - Your wedding work is fantastic, don't give it up mate.

Cheers,

My set up is an M9, usually with 35/1.4 asph or 50/1.4 asph and a 28/2 in pocket, M7 (0.85) with 75/1.4 or 50/1 pre-asph (B&W only), and a D3 around for 2500 iso and higher, and as convenient wide with a 17-35/2.8, and a convenient long with a 70-200/2.8. best...Peter

Maybe a Nikon D700 with a 35mm and 50mm Zeiss lenses and one or two nice long lenses. May be a new Nikon coming next month so might be best to wait.

A film M is of course a very good match for the M9 but the problem is hauling enough film to cover your ass. Plus a dslr will cover situations the M might not be best suited for. Personally I would include an MF film camera as well (like an old school Rolleiflex TLR) for some portraits etc. But that's my style, not yours.

Maybe a Nikon D700 with a 35mm and 50mm Zeiss lenses and one or two nice long lenses. .

Definitely agree about the Zeiss 35/2 and 50/2 makro. They make the D3/700 an excellent backup for the M9 at these FLs. The 50/2 makro is especially nice at events for close shots.

I'll throw my weight behind the Panasonic GF1 with the EVF. Used it as backup for two weeks during COP15 when the cold did in every battery I took with my for the M8. When printed at normal sizes you can't tell which camera took which photo without some serious examination. It is a different working method though. Can also shoot some decent video.

While there's logic behind having exact duplicates, I've never followed it. ;)

I agree fully about the excellent quality, but I'd think in terms of the Panasonic GH1 with its 'kit' 14-150mm lens (28-300). It does very good video as a party trick (have a look at the Luminous Landscape website for examples), the lens is pretty good, and with a cheap adapter it will take all your Leica lenses in a very easy to use MF mode. Panasonic also do an superbly corrected and sharp 7-14mm (14-28) for those times that a Leica extreme wide would introduce the normal problems of red edge.

Steve