andreas_thomsen

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

hio i am back from cuba- wowowowowowow. what a fantastic country. great people. great. i have been to a lot of cities around the world - from my point of view havanna is like the bokeh of the nocti!!!!

cheers

andy

(p.s.: i donated a lot of bucks to various children help organisations)

It is amazing isn't it?

And it's not just HaBana (and not Havanna) that is a great town with wonderful people, but also many other great towns as well: Cienfugos, Camaguey, Santiago, beautiful and old(est) Baracoa, Santa Clara with Guevara and other memorial... and more

I also donated many things: cash, coins, beautify kits from hotels couple of baseball hats...

dunno how to upload pictures here. i did a screenshot - but bad quality

cheers

andy

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Wealth is always relative. According to your girlfriend's logic, if she were traveling with Bill Gates she would not allow him to take pictures of us either. Every traveler to Cuba is bringing in valuable money and foreign currency into the economy and providing one of the only sources of new jobs that Cuba has right now. Until we end our embargo and can start investing in other ways. Meanwhile, what to do about the poor people you will undoubtly want in your photographs of Cuba (who wants urbanscape photos without people?). You could just try photographing people known to be as rich as you. Not so easy unless you ask about their annual income and then adjust it for the cost of living. So, I would strongly recommend that you and your girlfriend give a nice gift or money to every poor person that gets into your photos. You can certainly afford it if you can afford a M9. She can hand out the money herself. The kids will love it. Everyone will benefit. Not to go to Cuba or not to take photographs or not to share your wealth would be extremely stingy and selfish by anyone's standards.

Here's a thought.

The world certainly doesn't need more images by vacationers of people's poverty. If one were to use an M9 to that purpose I DO think it is of questionable morality.

If however, one were to make photographs with the purpose of showing the richness of life, even for people who are poorer than we, then I believe that would be a fine purpose for an M9 (or any other camera).

When I am travelling to the third world I try to use that distinction as my moral compass.

I would also believe that it is fine to vacation where people are poor, but getting by. Your dollars, or Euros are probably helping the local economy. It is another thing to vacation where people are starving.

My general experiece in places where people are poor is that they often consider themselves lucky to live in places with climates or cultures they enjoy, and often consider us the unlucky ones.

I also agree with a previous poster, that one of the finest things on can do is to send copies of photos to those who have collaborated with you in making pictures.

Andreas, looking forward to see your pictures. I had the same positive feelings about Cuban people when I visited the country 4 years ago. Would like to go there again. Was shooting M6 on Superia and Velvia then.

But I am continuously surprised about the ongoing discussion. Honestly, I bought M9 for its expected quality and the quality of images, a professional rangefinder camera. Not for the purpose of displaying it as a diamond necklace hanging over my chest when I go out to a high society party, and hypocritically hiding it form "poor people". I simply do not understand the essence of the discussion.

Tom

trust me it's a crazy feeling to walk around with a camera + lenses which are more then 15 k bucks and u are approached by someone who wants to sell u the ' gramma' newspaper to survive.

anyhow i got the impression of very nice and intelligent people (not always the case in germany!!!!!)

we spent more times in private homes with a lot open an honest conversations than i ever had on vacations. the people are really great. i will send all of them portfolios of my picture impressions and i hope the prints will arrive. we made friends with a nice couple and i hope that relation will last in the near future. ( crazy both are originally teachers an they work as taxi drivers now to survive)- the world is strange sometimes.

cheers

andy

Ok I 'll try with a salvo of 5 shots. It's the first time i do this, so forgive my mistakes

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Cuba is the land for photographers.

All these photos are from Habana, except the 4th one which is from Cienfuegos (100 fires).

There are many wonderful cities in Cuba each with their own colors and very different than Habana. Basically, Cuba is like a time capsule. What's more, almost all it's towns are declared preserved and part of world heritage by UNESCO. It's supposed they will fund restoration efforts, but if you ask me, I prefer them as they look now. Also, people are great, warm and with a smile on their faces, and how could they not be like that? They got almost 0% criminality, and there is no hanger.