Tim Ashley on M240 and 28 Cron

rramesh

I have the 28 2.8 Elmarit ASPH on my M and it seems sharp. I HAD the Summicron 28 but sold this silver version for 5k to fund the M. I don't miss it. But I would certainly buy a 1.4 28 Summilux if Leica offered.

Tim, what's your opinion of the 28 Elmarit ASPH on the M?

Tim seems to have as bad luck with Leica lenses as I have with Voigtlander ones. The 28 Summicron ASPH is notorious for self disassembly and I wonder if Tim's one is coming apart.

Mine seems adequately sharp at f2 on the M240, stays about the same at f2.8 and f4 then comes in super sharp at f8. The main issue on the M240 is Italian flag when you are using it wide open. Even on the M9, if I am going to be using it wide open, I select 21/2.8 non-ASPH as correction but this is not working properly on the M240. I assume this will be corrected in the FW update, which like free beer, is due tomorrow.:)

I don't think the 28 Summicron is quite as sharp at say f2.8, as the 28 ZM Biogon I used to have before the Summicron but on the other hand it is much sharper than my MATE at 28mm and about the same as my Zeiss Vario Sonnar at 28mm, albeit slightly lower contrast and a fraction of the size.

Wilson

One of my most used lenses on the M and the M9. I find it very good at all f stops only gripe could be the vignetting wide open but that can be dealt with. Micro contrast is very good. Added bonus with the M is the ability to use the EVF for better composition as the framelines are so near to the edge of the finder (this is of course an issue with any 28mm lens)

• Like 1

Never got corners that soft at f/2, let alone at f/5.6.

Reminds me of my old Elmarit-R 28/2.8 on the 5D.

As mush as i like my Nikkor 28/2 it cannot compete at f/2.

Best 28/2 ever IMHO.

Boring pics i don't know but boring lens let me smile a bit.

• Like 4

Maybe I dont pixel peek enough !?

I tried:

Strong crops from a download of tashley's example at f/2 in the extreme left and right edges:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Well, yes, - there is some lack of sharpness and you see some results of astigmatism .

We are talking of f/2, extreme crops and extreme edges of a wide angle lens. Do we expect the results of a super prime cine-lens so that we might not call them boring?

• Like 2

I think the 28mm Summicron is a stunning lens for sharpness and resolution, I find it far from boring, I found the 35 summicron ASPH a little bland but not the 28 ?

Maybe I dont pixel peek enough !?

I completely agree with this assessment. I have my own and my dad's silver one which I will sell. The 28mm cron in my opinion ipresemts a gentler I,age than say the current 35mm Lux asph FLE but even wide open is impressive and I pixel peep. I suspect there are some differences between samples as is sometimes found with certain Leica lenses.

Dave (D&A)

• Like 3

FF and 100% crop of the bottom right corner at f/5.6 (Ashley).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I find the 28mm Summicron to be incredibly boring. It just sits there looking like any other Leica lens with its plastic rear butt cover and plastic front cap. Even on a camera, it's boring. Maybe it's bored. It sure acts like a bore.

On the other hand, the images created by humans using it on a camera vary from really, really boring to really quite extraordinary.

• Like 7

I find the 28mm Summicron to be incredibly boring. It just sits there looking like any other Leica lens with its plastic rear butt cover and plastic front cap. Even on a camera, it's boring. Maybe it's bored. It sure acts like a bore.

On the other hand, the images created by humans using it on a camera vary from really, really boring to really quite extraordinary.

:D

Nicely put!

• Like 2

However, my opinion is that it is one of my all time favourite Leica lenses, well deserves its 'legendary' (:rolleyes:) status, and is anything but boring. I've no complaints with sharpness, resolution, contrast/microcontrast with this lens I have taken many of my favourite photos with the 2.0/28 Summicron ASPH and M9/Monochrom

I agree, a fine lens on the Monochrom

Hence, my question.

I have not seen it as anything but an absolutely delightful lens on my M9-P. No softness at all.

Is this unique to the M240 using a wide angle lens like this, or is it as some posters have alluded to 'a possibly defective copy'?