Some really cheap m-mount glass to play with

ralphh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend some really cheap old m-mount glass to play with, which I'll be able to find cheap on eBay?.  I'm not looking for stellar performers, just something interesting I can play with and get some unusual looks. I'm hoping for sub £100 if possible.

I just don't really know what to search for at the moment.

I'm sure years and years back I bought a cheap russian lens to play with on a micro 43rds camera.  I think it was m mount and cost about £50, but I can't remember what it was now - perhaps it was m39 mount.

Sorry, but I think you have simply no idea how good the quality of the older Leitz glass is. And so this price range is rubbish. 

Older glass is used because of its special looks. (But if you are looking for broken lenses to fix them .. .)

What makes you think it is comparable to russian lenses ? 

Edited by steppenw0lf

Probably was ltm.

Easiest way is to search "Leica" or "ltm" in lenses on the 'bay, and then sort lowest price first.

Have fun!

The trouble with this is you get a bazillion screw mount lenses, even if you filter the results to m-mount.  It's ok going through it one, but for 'keeping an eye out' i need something a bit more targeted.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I think you have simply no idea how good the quality of the older Leitz glass is. And so this price range is rubbish. 

Older glass is used because of its special looks. (But if you are looking for broken lenses to fix them .. .)

What makes you think it is comparable to russian lenses ? 

I don't understand this post at all.  I've not said anything about leitz being comparable to russian lenses.  In fact I don't think I used the word leitz once.

On an unrelated note, I am also happy to buy an adapter and get something other than m-mount, provided the RF still works.  Perhaps that's the way forward?  Do M39 lenses drive a M-mount RF correctly?

Edited by ralphh

Thanks Jaap & Frase.

I've reread my original post several times.  I've obviously said something that made john and steppenwolf think I want leitz only, but I can't see what it is :(

The Jupiters seem to me all M39 mount.  Does the RF work correctly when using an adapter?  I'm sure Leica have a $$$$ version.  3rd party ones seem to start at about £5 on ebay, but I'm going to go out on an limb here and assume that tolerances are kinda important with regards to thickness.  Does anyone have a recommendation for one that works well?

Thanks!

Edited by ralphh

All the older non-Leica glass will be ltm as the patent for the M mount was still current. Cheaper adapters are hit and miss. The voigtlander ones are nice and a cheaper than the Leica ones. My previous comment was to go through to find what's available, not an everyday search for sure!

What focal length are you after?

Ok, makes sense now, thanks, I didn't know that.  I guess I'm looking for suggestions for M39 lenses then.

I'm looking for something around 90 I think.

something like this perhaps: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jupiter-9-2-85mm-lens-in-M39-mount-Amazing-condition-/172287987090?hash=item281d2a0d92:g:cvwAAOSwbsBXm0kY

I basically never use my Elmar macro, so thinking of selling it.  It would still be nice to have a 90mm lens to play with from time to time though.  Also thinking about the same thing at the wide end.

Basically I'm a 50mm shooter, and 99% (or more) of my photos are shot at 50mm.  I really only use other focal lens 'for a bit of a change'

I'm wondering whether it really makes sense to keep my other focal length Leica lenses or whether I wouldn't be better off with some cheap old glass so I my 'bit of a change' lenses really are very different (and much cheaper).

Edited by ralphh

Well worthwhile looking at leica thread mount (aka ltm, lsm, m39, L39.....) lenses, and use an adapter. They usually operate the rangefinder without problems.

I have a 1930s Leitz Hektor 73mm, and I have also had Nikkor lenses from the 1950s in ltm mount with screw to M adapters - no problem with the rangefinder mechanism at all. Mine came at the expensive end of the spectrum, but there are plenty cheaper. Canon lenses of that era also came in ltm mount.

There are bargains to be had on ebay (caveat emptor) but also the periodic Westlicht (Vienna) auctions and (though I've never participated) SAS auctions in this country. Check out "The View Through Older Glass" thread on this forum for more exotic ideas to look for on auction sites and at camera fairs.

• Like 1

Some ideas for you to consider;

Jupiter 8 - Russian 50mm f2 lens (Zeiss copy), good ones are sharp and contrasty.

Leitz Summar 5cm f2, a rather special lens IMHO but you must find a good one, which is becoming hard. Most will have suffered from too much cleaning over the years and the 'soft' glass will be rather scratched.

Leitz Elmar 5cm f3.5 - you can find decent enough earlier 'black scale' examples for under £100 if you look around. The later red scale version is better optically but more expensive (and there is a late M mount version too with 39mm filter thread).

All of these are LTM lenses (apart from the M 5cm) so you need a simple LTM to M adaptor for 50mm to bring up the correct frame lines on an M camera.

Edited by earleygallery
  • Like 2

Thanks Jaap & Frase.

I've reread my original post several times.  I've obviously said something that made john and steppenwolf think I want leitz only, but I can't see what it is :(

The Jupiters seem to me all M39 mount.  Does the RF work correctly when using an adapter?  I'm sure Leica have a $$$$ version.  3rd party ones seem to start at about £5 on ebay, but I'm going to go out on an limb here and assume that tolerances are kinda important with regards to thickness.  Does anyone have a recommendation for one that works well?

Thanks!

Yes, the RF will work. The accuracy of a Jupiter may be , well... Soviet. ;)

• Like 2

If it is any use to you, I own the 1.5 Summarit in both M and LTM mount. I have used both lenses, via an adapter, on my Leica M mount cameras; I find no disadvantage to using the adapter.......both lenses perform in exactly the same manner on M mount cameras. Aside from the disadvantage of a) having to keep track of the adapter, and B) having to take the adapter on and off of your various LTM lenses, there is no disadvantage to using LTM lenses on an M mount camera. The adapters come in different configurations for different focal length lenses, however, if you are using primarily 50mm lenses, the adapter configuration is not that important as any of the adapter configurations work with 50s.....at least that is my experience.

Once you decide to go with ltm, it opens a whole universe of more affordable glass... Much of it Leica. I own 50mm Leica Summarit, Summar, Summitar, Hektor, Elmar, Summicron; of the bunch, I paid more than more than $200 for only the Summarit, Hektor, and Sommicron- only the Hektor reduced the family treasure by more than $450. As you state, you are not looking for pristine lenses; so many examples of old LTM 50s- even some 35s and 28s- are available. If you are patient, and look hard, you can even find LTM 50mm Summicrons for very low prices.....not sub $130 though. I recall paying $280 for mine.

One of the blessings of much of this older ltm glass is that it is not coated; problems such as haze, and even mold/fungus, can be more effectively dealt with through cleaning.

I have seen the lovely photographs you take of your young daughter, you will love the photographs rendered by the Leica ltm 50s. I would start with either the Elmar 50.....or maybe Elmar 35 3.5. The may be more than your stated price ceiling, but not much.

I am no expert on glass. What I offer here is only my experience. I am having a blast with the old ltm Leica glass.....Even in my relative  ignorance.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 1

NB LTM to M adapters come in three different flavours, depending on which frame lines they bring up. Make sure you get one that matches what you want it for.

The cheap adapters on ebay work well, but can cut your fingers. The Voigtlander ones are better polished.

Edit: I see that Wayne got there first!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Thanks guys!

I have just purchased a 85mm f2 jupiter for £99, which is about on my budget.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172287987090?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

I feel like I was unclear again - I'm happy - v happy - with my summarit 50.  My 90, as I hardly use it, may as well be a jupiter as I only use it to have something a bit different - so I'm not looking for a 50 straight way, but I may also grab a fun 50 at some point.  The £100 was more like per lens ball-park, not a total ; if I sell my 90mm macro I can buy a whole box of £100 lenses :)

Wayne thanks for the kind words.  I'll take a look at some of the old Leica 50's.  I like that you can see these old lenses will suit my style of photography - it's kinda what I thought, but it's good to hear it from someone else :)

Edited by ralphh