Some really cheap m-mount glass to play with

ralphh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks guys!

I have just purchased a 85mm f2 jupiter for £99, which is about on my budget.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172287987090?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

I may also grab a fun 50 at some point.  The £100 was more like per lens ball-park, not a total ; if I sell my 90mm macro I can buy a whole box of £100 lenses :)

Wayne thanks for the kind words.  I'll take a look at some of the old Leica 50's.  I like that you can see these old lenses will suit my style of photography - it's kinda what I thought, but it's good to hear it from someone else :)

Very nice! I actually bought a 50mm Jupiter yesterday for my IIIa, I'll be interested in seeing images from the 85.

• Like 1

I could, but then I'd have a silver lens on a black camera, and that's just not cool ;)

And besides, I wanted to try something a bit different.  I just hope it focuses properly.

The Voigtlander adapters seem to be about £35, and I'd have to wait for it to arrive from China... I found a mint condition Leica one in the UK for £49.  Figured 'why not'! At least if it doesn't focus properly I know for sure it's not the adapter.

They'll both be here by the end of the week.  Exciting!! :)

Edited by ralphh

I wasn't hugely worried, and if the leica adapter had been £200 I'd certainly have taken a punt on a different one, but really, what's an extra £15 in the world of Leica :) and besides, I was more bothered about the postage time than anything.

Edited by ralphh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I could, but then I'd have a silver lens on a black camera, and that's just not cool ;)

Err, not if you bought a black one?!

Third one along in this pic. It's the Elmar-C 90mm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/images/90mm-f4-macro/D3S_0836-1500.jpg

Would have ended up a lot cheaper and a lot better looking than a 3rd party lens plus adapter, but each to their own.....

Those start at about double my budget at the moment on ebay. £195 (and up) vs £99 is quite a difference.

There is one on there for 165gbp at the moment, which is not much more than the 148gbp you have currently spent. Plus you can find them cheaper if you look hard enough. IIRC I paid around 160 Euros for mine......

There is one on there for 165gbp at the moment, which is not much more than the 148gbp you have currently spent. Plus you can find them cheaper if you look hard enough. IIRC I paid around 160 Euros for mine......

I paid £80 for a very nice example (M mount) from Aperture in London a few years ago.

That's weird.  If I search for "Elmar-C 90mm" and sort by price, the cheapest one is £195. (or even just "Elmar 90mm", only difference is I have to scroll through a lot of hoods and caps before I get to any lenses)

Perhaps they don't post to the UK so it's not showing up for me.

Edited by ralphh

I'm afraid a J-9 in LTM will not focus properly across the whole distance scale.

I have been through a few - which I also sent to highly-regarded repair experts - before giving up.

They are generally fine, and produce very interesting images, but only within a given focus range (eg, 2 to 10m).

IIRC, this appears to be due to slight differences in the 50mm standard focal length used by Leica/Leitz and other manufacturers, which, in this particular case, is very difficult (impossible?) to correct for without some major mechanical intervention.

FWIW, the Contax mount version of the J-9 (the early vintage chrome builds are better than the later black ones, which were poorly assembled, even by Soviet standards) combined with a suitable Contax to M adapter (Amedeo Muscelli's are excellent, albeit expensive, which would put this option out of the budget you set yourself anyway) focuses much better across the range. Even then, it requires some fine tuning by a competent technician.

If you want to play with dirt cheap 50mm lenses at some point, I suggest the collapsible Industar-22 50/3.5 or the Industar-61 L/D 55/2.8. Both punch well above their weight/cost IMO. And if you end up buying a Contax to M adapter, the Helios-103 53/1.8 is also inexpensive and fun.

In order to stay within your price range, you might consider SLR lenses. Yes, with adapter they are larger than rangefinder lenses, although not as large as modern lenses bulked up by auto-focus and image stabilization machinery. Pentax Super-Takumars, M42 screw mount, are good. So are Minolta Rokkors, although they tend to be larger than Takumars.

• Like 1

Ralph - to speed up your scans of Ebay items, once you have typed in what you want, and see lots of unwanted junk, just place a "-name" in the search bar such as "-cap -caps -hood -shade -filter"" and it will exclude those things from your search. If you like the results of the search and would like to periodically run it again, you can "follow"/save it for future use. I do it for a number of Leica items. Makes the task much easier and more enjoyable.

• Like 2