Summilux 28 now out!

matlep

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me both the size of the lens, and of course it's price, make me quite content with the Cron. 

Few lenses in the M line draw as contradictory impressions as the 28 cron. It won't flare/does flare. It's Sharp/Not etc.

My copy: does flare/is sharp. 

• Like 1

For me both the size of the lens, and of course it's price, make me quite content with the Cron. 

Few lenses in the M line draw as contradictory impressions as the 28 cron. It won't flare/does flare. It's Sharp/Not etc.

My copy: does flare/is sharp. 

The other lens like this seems to be the 75 Summicron . . . . where I'm on the other side of the fence (I love it). 

• Like 2

I know that technical figures are not everything but if you examine the MTF graphs for the 28 Summicron at f2.8 against the Elmarit wide open, you will see that the MTF's of the Summicron are higher and the curves for 40 lp/mm smoother. So that although the Elmarit has the reputation of being the sharper lens, the figures do not in fact bear that out. 

Wilson

PS This reputation may be something to do with micro-contrast and there the graphs don't help. It is always easy to think that a lens with higher contrast is sharper, when in reality it is not. W.

I certainly think that it's the microcontrast with the elmarit - real 'sharpness' is not so very obvious when just looking at images. 

But there is also lens variation - something Lens Rentals blog articles show really clearly. I've only had one 28 'cron - perhaps it was a dog? 

Interesting to read everyone's experiences and results with various lenses. I guess I am not that picky on lens types, but moreso on lens size assuming a particular lens performs well for me. Since getting the APO50 I realize I want to harken back to the old feel of Leica smaller lenses. I do carry 2 or sometimes 3 bodies and lighter lenses help these old bones when walking or hiking up to 25km in a day. 

So for me it's the SEM18 (sold my R 15/2.8), SEM21, (sold my 24EM) 28/2.8 (sold the 28/2), 50APO (sold the lux and two Nocti's), like my 35 FLE, (but just might start using my 35/2 more) kept my 90/2.8 (sold the MEM90 and 90/2) and kept the 75/2 (sold my 75/1.4).  Sure I have a few other lenses, but with the new higher ISO M246 and better performing M240 platform as far as low light goes I see less and less of a need for 1.4 lenses unless specific situations demand them-like a low lit jazz club in New Orleans where the M246 combined with the 21/1.4 I can get what I need for perspective and reference.

That's me and my take.

Edited by algrove
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased a 28 Summicron asph in 2010 during the time that Leica still offered a 25% educator/student discount

A great lens for my candid city shots and landscapes on both my M6 and M9 with beautiful rendering.

I am not sure the extra stop on the new 28mm lux would be worth it for me as the cron has everything I need.

• Like 1

I've got a 28 Cron and could never see myself parting with it. Any new 28mm lens grabs my interest but f/1.4 is an unnecessary indulgence in line with the 21 Lux etc. for me. I really don't have enough excitement in my life to need ultra wide ultra fast lenses!! I'll just keep plodding on with the Cron which I find to be superb. 

• Like 3

Would you mind measuring it without the hood and also post a picture how it looks without it? Cheers!

Hi There 

The distance from the bayonet face to the front with the lens hood off is 55mm

and here are some pictures 

Thank you for asking - I had never take the lens hood off the 'series' version, it was the prototype which was clearly designed to have it on - this seems much more useable 

MP050579.jpg

MP050578.jpg

• Like 5

Probably just me but a new Leica lens is more intriguing than a new camera and this piques my interest rather more than the new Monochrom. It looks too bulky for my taste (the 35 Summilux is about as large as I like to go with a rangefinder lens) but I suspect it is a sensationally good (and flexible) landscape lens and I shall almost certainly check it out and compare with my Summicron (if I ever get it back from Wetzlar) at some future date.

• Like 2

Yes, this summilux lens seems very promising.

Algrove, you had the R15mm wich has a great reputation and is quite scarce, could you please say something about this lens, describe its qualities and eventual shorcomings and if you want why you sold it ?

Thanks

Joël

Probably just me but a new Leica lens is more intriguing than a new camera and this piques my interest rather more than the new Monochrom. It looks too bulky for my taste (the 35 Summilux is about as large as I like to go with a rangefinder lens) but I suspect it is a sensationally good (and flexible) landscape lens and I shall almost certainly check it out and compare with my Summicron (if I ever get it back from Wetzlar) at some future date.

Ian,

Was your 28 Summicron at Wetzlar to correct a loose front section? I am thinking of sending mine in to have the chewed up grub screws removed and new ones (maybe larger) put in to stop it rattling. The front section being able to rotate backwards and forwards by about 0.5º cannot be totally satisfactory. 

Wilson

Ian,

Was your 28 Summicron at Wetzlar to correct a loose front section?

No, I've fortunately been spared that particular problem. The Wetzlar technicians have been asked to make a focus adjustment, something so far beyond their capabilities and/or comprehension.

• Like 2

Hi There 

The distance from the bayonet face to the front with the lens hood off is 55mm

and here are some pictures 

Thank you for asking - I had never take the lens hood off the 'series' version, it was the prototype which was clearly designed to have it on - this seems much more useable 

MP050579.jpg

MP050578.jpg

Looks 

Thank you very much Jono. Do the supply a protective ring for the thread as with the Summilux 35 FLE? Looks better with the hood :) Cheers!

• Like 1

Yes, this summilux lens seems very promising. Algrove, you had the R15mm wich has a great reputation and is quite scarce, could you please say something about this lens, describe its qualities and eventual shorcomings and if you want why you sold it ? Thanks Joël

It was sold only due to its size and my wanting to reduce my kit and selling the 30 odd R lenses seemed to be what I did first. Only have the APO 180/2.8 and 28-90 of which the last I find it hard parting with (I had two) since it is such a versatile lens on the M240 platform.

The lens had wonderful corner to corner sharpness and a quality to its shots I have not seen even with other Leica wides. I remember being out in over 1 meter of water with it for a sunrise shot and after looking at the shots on computer I could not believe how it captured the rocks below me with such good detail.  Its rendering of detail was stupendous. The rocks were so close that I had to crop out my tripod legs left and right on the shot. Keep in mind I only used it on the original M240 and in the end decided the 18 prime was fine for my landscape purposes and  besides I have the WATE too. That said the quality of shots from that lens still linger in my mind and thanks for refreshing those thoughts once again. I believe this is the shot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Would there be a chrome/brass version for this lens?

Unlikely brass.  The only current lenses Leica makes in chrome-brass is the 35mm Summicron ASPH and 50mm Summilux ASPH.  And even they are harder to find on dealer's shelves, so it seems Leica is moving away from brass made lenses.  Every other silver lens in production is anodised aluminum.

And a brass 28mm Summilux would be silly heavy.

Unlikely brass.  The only current lenses Leica makes in chrome-brass is the 35mm Summicron ASPH and 50mm Summilux ASPH.  And even they are harder to find on dealer's shelves, so it seems Leica is moving away from brass made lenses.  Every other silver lens in production is anodised aluminum.

And a brass 28mm Summilux would be silly heavy.

I was told that the small outside machine shop that made some of the brass bodies had shut in 2006 due to retirement of the staff. Mind you there are thousands of shops in China that would turn them out for pennies, maybe however not to the required micron tolerances. 

Wilson

• Like 2